xstitchmaven Publish time 2015-6-1 14:05

Is it normal for DMC to fray?

Is it normal for the end of DMC floss to fray as you're stitching?I mean at the tail end or excess that's threaded through the needle.I hadn't cross-stitched in awhile, until a few months ago, but I don't remember this happening before.I end up having to trim it every so often, and end up losing a bit of the length as a result.Is it just me?

I am not using any sort of thread conditioner, would that help?

Libramiss Publish time 2015-6-1 19:56

I use a wax disc to add "lubrication" to all my threads whatever brand/non-brand I'm using as well as using lengths no longer than 20 inches, this doesn't eliminate fraying but it does lessen the waste.

Karen :kiss:

Libramiss Publish time 2017-7-9 15:25

It can make them feel "SOFTER" but so much easier to use and any residue wax washes or irons out (cover with a clean damp cloth when ironing!) Also I only use a recommended disc such as Impex Bees Wax for Sewing/Embroidery or bees wax bar.

PinsAndNeedles Publish time 2017-5-25 00:20

static/image/common/user_online.gif Libramiss static/image/common/clock.gif 2015-6-1 19:56
I use a wax disc to add "lubrication" to all my threads whatever brand/non-brand I'm using as well a ...

does this affect the sheen or texture of the thread?

Scotia Publish time 2017-6-29 05:28

Very common with DMC thread. Make sure that you are using thread lengths no longer than 18in/45cm. Keeping the tread short helps.

nowsy Publish time 2017-5-23 18:00

to me it usually happen with very light colors, no idea why...i also noticed light colors tend to tagle more

mardy Publish time 2020-2-8 12:10

for me it usually frays at the eye of the needle no matter what needle brand I use

htsear13 Publish time 2022-2-11 02:59

Following this thread

Knitpurlsm Publish time 2024-4-8 23:57

Thanks for the info!

stitchyman Publish time 2015-6-1 15:20

Try to use a shorter length of thread as it will fray being pulled through the fabric so many times.Also you could try using a needle with a larger eye so that the needle makes a bigger hole in the linen for the thread to go through, causing less friction. I've noticed that even if I have 6 inches or so thread left after stitching a section, I cannot use it up elsewhere as it has gone fluffy where it has been lying though the needle.

jazzo Publish time 2015-6-1 15:43

yes, dmc does fray specially at the tips, no matter how long or short length i have tried, but saying that i have noticed its happening with anchor as well, so perhaps all companies are cutting corners

DailyStitcher Publish time 2015-6-15 01:09

I haven't noticed DMC fraying at all. Maybe it's because I use shorter lengths.

imuni55 Publish time 2015-7-13 05:50

well, maybe it's really just the threads themselves... even 6 years ago I didn't notice the fraying, and I don't think that I was that blind. Now - yes, they do fray, for the last 3 years - 100%.

Lakeland Publish time 2015-7-13 07:30

I seem to remember always having to trim the ends, if I unthreaded the needle to pick out a wrong stitch and then rethreaded it.

RishSt Publish time 2015-7-20 22:20

I noticed that some colours do it more then others, don't know on what it depends. But agree, special wax or thread conditioner are really helpful, when I'm out -shorter length and trimming the ends work good too

evenflo09 Publish time 2015-7-21 04:15

Yes, it fray's now! It used to not as it was made better. I still have older DMC threads which don't fray, but any newer numbers purchased lately, a big YES! I've always been able to use whatever length I want with no problems, not anymore. I guess it pays to shop for older floss off of Ebay!
Pages: [1] 2
View full version: Is it normal for DMC to fray?