aoleary1791 Publish time 2015-6-7 11:53

Saving and Wasting Thread

I don't know about anyone else, but as a beginner cross stitcher (I've been doing it a while but I haven't gotten up the nerve to attempt any really complicated projects like HAED or a large kit from Dimensions), I work with small kits quite often. I ran into a little problem once where I nearly ran out of thread to use in the kit!

Ever since I find that I am pretty hoarder about my thread. I HATE to waste even an inch of it if I think I could get just ONE more stitch out of it! I'm just curious if anyone else behaves this way, or if you don't, how do you save on thread and/or make sure you have enough?

For example - I missed a stitch in a pattern I'm working on and rather than cut a new length from the kit and waste a ton of thread I filled it in with an adjacent color. But that is annoying to me almost as much as wasting the thread! I would really appreciate any tips or tricks to save thread or just hear about what kind of neuroses anyone has about their projects.

Thanks! :P

htsear13 Publish time 2022-2-10 03:50

Following this thread

Knitpurlsm Publish time 2024-4-8 03:05

Thanks for the info!

CraftyLouAnna Publish time 2015-6-7 12:36

I use the loop method for starting, so cutting a small length of thread 3 inches long gives me enough to do a stitch without having to use a long length of thread.
I save all of my thread 3 inches and longer, just in case I have a stitch to do either here or there.   I know my odd bits and pieces can be used in other projects as well so they are saved.

CraftyLouAnna Publish time 2015-6-7 22:25

Edited by CraftyLouAnna at 2015-6-7 22:27

Iput them on my homemade thread sorter which ismade of boxboard (cereal box or another light piece) and cut 1 cm slits on each side.   I do make these narrow enough to hold a 3" piece of thread that isheld in place by the slits across thecardboard.I can save these pieces since the DMC numbers are listed I can use them on my next project.If it's a kit I keep them separate as they are good for small projects like cards and Christmas ornaments.

LucyLocket Publish time 2015-6-8 03:39

CraftyLouAnna that is really well organised.:lol

Lakeland Publish time 2015-6-8 07:36

That is very nice!I use Floss Away bags, so can put various bits of the same thread in one of those.

Lakeland Publish time 2015-6-8 20:51

Floss Away bags are a trademarked little plastic zip top bag.Do you have Amazon?If so, you can search on there and find them.

Meeshee Publish time 2015-6-18 00:56

I seem to have a lot of areas that just need one stitch of a single color, can't rember what they call that-confetti stitches maybe.So I keep any floss that is long enough to make the single stitch and tuck under.Sometimes I have to use another piece of floss to run under the stitches in the back and tuck it into the loop and pull it through.

lasice Publish time 2015-6-18 01:15

Dimensions or another threads, that are long enought for use, I have all in one plastic briefcase. I use it for small charity project like bookmarks, pincushions, small projects... I have all DMC threads, so after work I give it back to stitch bows.

stitcherex Publish time 2015-6-19 12:49

These are a few 'stingy' things I do :
1) change to a petite needle.I use a John James petite, which is shorter than the corresponding regular number.I can stitch up to the last 1.5in of the thread.

2) if stitch using a double strand, start using the loop method as posted by @CraftyLouAnna.When using a single strand, I start using the pinhead.Scarlet Quince website has a good tutorial on this.

3) keep all threads measuring 3 in or more, they are good for those missed one or two stitches.I put them with the main skein so that they don't get lost.

Hope these help !

Rapsy Publish time 2015-6-20 15:48

I have a big glass vase that I put all of my threads in.When I just need to do one stitch, which often happens with HaED, I just go through that and find the color I need.

I used to be incredibly frugal with my threads, but now I have a x-stitch store in my town (how lucky am I?) so I find I've become quite wasteful.
Pages: [1] 2
View full version: Saving and Wasting Thread