Hamsteren09 Publish time 2009-7-31 18:07

Patchwork Wall Hanging Tutorial

Taken from Wall Hanging Tutorial Heather Lott

Start by cutting your cross stitch piece with a 1-1/2" border.You may want more fabric to show, I like to have about 1/2" showing when I am done.

Cut the fabric strip you want as your border.Remember, you will need an additional 1/2" for your seams.So if you want a 2" border, cut the strip 2-1/2" wide.

You then pin in place your fabric on opposites sides first.I have the fabric about 1/2" away from the outside of my cross stitch.You then sew a 1/4" seam down each side (the outside).After you are done press the fabric open.

Then pin in place the other two sides of your fabric strips. Sew your 1/4" seam on the outside, the same as last time.Press open your fabric.

This is what it will look like with all four sides pressed open and sewn on.

Your second border (if you want more!) will be done the same way.Pin down the fabric on opposite sides and sew your 1/4" seam.Press open your fabric.

Pin on your next border along the top and bottom, sew your 1/4" seam and press open.

Do the same for your 3rd border!

Next we'll prepare our pieces we use to hang the wall hanging with :)I used 4 lengths of ribbon.I then folded them in half and pinned them on upside down, making sure they are all an even length.The tails will be sticking out at the end.Look at the photo closely and make sure you get this right.

Next cut out the fabric you will use for the back of your wall hanging.I cut it about 1/4" bigger all of the way around.

If you are using fabric for your back that is a print, make sure to put the front side up to the front side of your cross stitch.You then pin them together all of the way around the piece.

Next you sew a 1/4" seam all of the way around, leaving a 5" gap (give or take) so you can pull it right side out. I always do this gap at the bottom of the wall hanging.After you have sewn it, cut the remnant fabric and ribbon off, leaving 1/4" from the seam line.

After you have cut the remnant turn in right side out, it'll look like the picture.Pull the pins out and be sure and poke out the corners as much as you can.You then press it flat, get it as straight and flat as possible.

You then sew a 1/4" seam all of the way around.Fold in the fabric at the opening you left carefully, so that it lines up.When you sew your seam around, it'll close that opening for you.So you won't have to do it by hand!You are now done with you wall hanging!Enjoy.

Here is a close up of the corner, you can see the 1/4" seam on the outside.

BlueTanager Publish time 2023-10-20 10:19

Depending on the size of the work I can totally see it as a pillow cover as well. In fact it was the first place my mind went to when I saw the borders finished.
Smaller works could also be stabilized on a thin frame and sit on a shelf. Dang, the possibilities are endless!

BNS Publish time 2018-9-16 21:29

Have several pieces I want to make into wall hangings, this will help me put them together.Thanks for creating and sharing

PinsAndNeedles Publish time 2017-5-25 02:18

love your tutorial. thanks for sharing and the effort for making it :)

viky Publish time 2024-3-27 09:25

Thank you very much! This is a wonderful tutorial.

quiltmum Publish time 2023-11-9 03:37

Thank you very much this useful tutorial!

Guaranita Publish time 2023-9-29 04:37

✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ Muchas gracias! ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿

htsear13 Publish time 2022-2-11 03:21

Thanks you very much for the sharing!

Samx Publish time 2018-8-14 13:55

Thank you, i really want to try this

msroman Publish time 2018-5-15 23:07

Thanks for sharing the tutorial

Isa Ro Publish time 2023-9-23 06:50

Excelente y bella obra de arte.

Ann Publish time 2009-7-31 18:24

It's so particular   and professional, Thanking for your sharing.

csc0312 Publish time 2009-8-3 11:19

very useful guidance, thanks Jenny!

allegra Publish time 2009-9-2 02:34

Thanking for your sharing.:victory:

StitchAndi Publish time 2010-1-7 03:14

Very beautiful :) Thanks for sharing

Schnugglebear17 Publish time 2010-6-27 08:56

very nice...thanks for sharing :)

betty Publish time 2010-7-13 02:27

Thank you for sharing this tutorial
it's a good idea to finish

Betty

ALVAR Publish time 2010-8-5 21:42

Wonderful tutorial, thank you very much

Suzzana Publish time 2010-8-8 21:54

muy bueno este tutorial, muchas gracias

Solnce Publish time 2010-8-8 21:58

Beautiful work and intersting tutorial: thanks for sharing :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
View full version: Patchwork Wall Hanging Tutorial