lishe Publish time 2012-8-4 22:01

Transporting WIPs?

Hello! Do you do your projects on the go? I tend to have a few projects going at one time, so the big ones stay at home but the smaller projects travel with me when I know I will be doing some waiting.

How do you travel with your projects? I was lucky and found a zipper bag that is just the right size for a 15-cm hoop, floss and my needlebook. How about everyone else? Do you travel with your projects? :D

xolga Publish time 2023-3-15 03:52

I do travel with projects. I have a variety of flat zipper bags that can hold everything: the hoop and the fabric, all the threads on bobbins or an organizer in a zip lock bag, a small flat tin with a magnet inside that holds tiny scissors, spare needles, and a needle threader. When I stitch on a larger piece of fabric (think canvas shopper bags) I put the project into a large-ish cosmetic bag and the stuff that goes with it stays in the cosmetic bag's inside pockets.

htsear13 Publish time 2022-2-10 23:59

Following this thread

Spookytooth Publish time 2012-8-4 23:26

I would be lost without some form of project with me.A big blow is that airport security restricts what can be taken into the cabin.

lishe Publish time 2012-8-5 09:38

Spookytooth replied at 2012-8-4 23:26 static/image/common/back.gif
I would be lost without some form of project with me.A big blow is that airport security restricts ...

I'm travelling long distance soon and intend to take my projects with me in cabin. According to the US website, all needlepoint project items are allowed to be brought onboard, except for blades (scissors, rotary cutters etc). So, I've prepared the cutter from Clover to replace my scissors! Reviews have commented that it can be brought onboard.

langstep Publish time 2012-8-5 12:37

Airport security can be so frustrating, I think sometimes they have gone a little to over the top with their can and can nots.
Will you be able to get close enough to the short tails to cut off with the cutter?

lishe Publish time 2012-8-5 13:43

langstep replied at 2012-8-5 12:37 static/image/common/back.gif
Airport security can be so frustrating, I think sometimes they have gone a little to over the top wi ...

I know what you mean! Apparently small scissors (like baby, safety scissors) can board the plane too, but the Clover cutter is aeroplane-safe for sure. I've just tried to cut close, it's OKAY but scissors is definitely better. I'll have to do the best I can, then clean up when I touch down. =\

alicegale Publish time 2012-8-5 21:29

I pack the scissors in the checked bag and use the Clover cutter on the flight.This way when I land, I have my scissors to clean up the back.I also precut all my floss before the flight so I don't have to cut them mid-air!

lishe Publish time 2012-8-5 23:57

alicegale replied at 2012-8-5 21:29 static/image/common/back.gif
I pack the scissors in the checked bag and use the Clover cutter on the flight.This way when I lan ...

Ohh that is a good idea! I will precut my floss too!

IamJamie Publish time 2012-8-6 01:58

When I travel on road trips, haven't flown anywhere with my stitching yet, I always bring a small project with me. I like to bring project with around 10 colors or so. I will put all my colors on to a metal craft ring. I have what I call my tool box. Its a small plastic box about 4.5 long, 2 inches wide and about an inch deep. I keep my scissors, highlighters, needles, Thread Heaven, tweezers, and basically whatever i need for stitching. Its the perfect size for traveling.

waterbaby842 Publish time 2012-8-9 01:28

When I travel I do the same.Take just a small project and prep beforehand.If it is a small enough project then a regular Ziplock Freezer bag is what I keep my WIP in to keep it clean.I also throw in a few of the little wet ones packets that you get in pubs (wing nights ;P) as these are great to make sure your hands are clean!I use a small project box to keep needles/scissors/threads/wipes in.

stitchintime Publish time 2012-8-10 05:32

I have just got back from holiday and didnt take any projects with me and boy was i lost in the evenings :(
Pages: [1] 2
View full version: Transporting WIPs?