Register
Search
View: 5715|Reply: 62
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] Gold plated needles

[Copy link]
Post time: 2013-9-29 23:45
| Show all posts |Read mode
Does anyone know where to find cross stitch gold plated needles? I have looked in many big crafts stores but haven't been able to find any.

Where do you buy them? Also, do they really make a difference? I have read that they do, but never used one myself!

xx

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2019-1-18 13:59
| Show all posts
It's more a process of finding a brand that suits you. Where I am, they're avail in most craft stores but the plating wears off over time (but that's a lot of stitching over a lot of time!). I find they make a big difference compared to normal needles and if you're doing a big project, I'd definitely look at getting some as they just make your stitching life easier (less snagging). If you're just doing small projects here & there, maybe not.
Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-6-17 20:44
| Show all posts
I've bought a bunch from Amazon.  I can't answer your second question because I've only just started my first cross stitch :)
Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-10-29 19:09
| Show all posts

Yo esas agujas las he visto en Aliexpres, lo que no se si seran de buena calidad. Yo en concreto esas agujas no las he usado nunca porque yo uso agujas de doble punta porque uso bastidor y me es mas comodo....el ojo de la aguja esta en el centro y tiene punta en los dos extremos, a mi personalmente son las que mas me gustan.....como dicen cada maestrillo con su librillo jejejeje
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-11 20:32
| Show all posts
I used John James platinum needles but they have stopped making them now so I have gone onto their gold needles.  My advice, for what its worth, try a load of brands and decide which one suits you best,  different needles suit different people.  Hope this is pf some help.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-9-17 16:49
| Show all posts
I tried several different brands of needles: DMC, Bohin, John James and Anchor. DMC for me was the worst idea ever lol. I like the John James needles the best as I can thread my floss very easily through the eye without the thread feeling like its snagging, while Bohin and Anchor snags a bit.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-8-11 08:05
| Show all posts
Edited by freebies at 2016-8-11 08:09

I've tried john james  petite gold needle, but I like pony better, it glides through the fabric really well, and the gold plated durable, not easily wears off..love it .pony it's an indian brand,  personal preference

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-3-28 13:55
| Show all posts
I have used both gold plated needles and regular needles from several brands and found once the finish comes off as it always does with me that neither is better just more expensive. I now just buy whatever is on sale.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2022-6-28 05:23
| Show all posts

Se nota que eres experta, nunca había oído hablar de estas agujas que comentas :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-25 01:26
| Show all posts
I'm new to this and didn't even know needles tarnished. I just bought what I could find at Hobby Lobby and now I'm off to see what I can find. thanks for all the input from everyone.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-9-29 23:57
| Show all posts
Hi

Where are you based? In the UK they are easy to find, my local craft shop stocks them or they can be bought on Ebay or sewandso.co.uk

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-9-30 00:39
| Show all posts
I've never bought in sewandsow, although I have always wondered as they seem to be recommended in many mags.

Went to my local Hobbycraft but they don't stock them there (?).

Thanks xx

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-9-30 02:17
| Show all posts
just my two cents ...
I've bought and used both gold and platinum plated Needles,
the needle's eye last longer but in my hands the plated part
wears up quite soon, not even 2 middle size works or a big one
and it is ready for retirement  :(
so i use full inox Needles that come as cheap as 10 for 1 usd
on ebay (from UK) you can found even better bargains, single wrapped Needles
so they stay safe till you use them

but i am quite nagging about Needles, i made them dark with my fingers,
no matter how often i wash my hands
so i change a needle as often as i feel it is needed

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-9-30 06:05
| Show all posts
Wow I didn't even know that there were platinum needles (!).

I read gold plated ones slide through the fabric much better.. I guess I'll have to try them one day. I'll prob order them from Amazon.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-9-30 12:31
| Show all posts
I don't think it makes any difference but it's just me :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-10-6 23:32
| Show all posts
I didn't even know these things existed. Defiantly thinking of trying some

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-10-11 00:11
| Show all posts
:):o:o:o:o:o:o:o

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-10-11 00:31
| Show all posts
I have used gold plated needles in the past, but I really prefer the Bohin needles above all.  I order them in bulk from Anita Little Stitches, 50 for US$10 approx.  I also found that the gold needles didn't last, and were fairly expensive.  

As witch62 said, just my two cents :))

Comments

Bohin needles? Is that a brand or a type? xx  Details Reply Post time 2013-10-11 00:40

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-10-11 00:40
| Show all posts
kath1634 respondió a las 2013-10-11 00:31
I have used gold plated needles in the past, but I really prefer the Bohin needles above all.  I ord ...

Bohin needles? Is that a brand or a type?

xx

Comments

It's a brand. They are just such good quality, and for some reason the eye of the needle is smooth, and they glide through the fabric really well. Personal preference!  Details Reply Post time 2013-10-11 17:36

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-19 10:36 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.115728 sec., 28 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list