Register
Search
View: 1103|Reply: 13
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] Using Hoops

[Copy link]
Post time: 2015-3-24 00:02
| Show all posts |Read mode
Hello,  I love this place.  Because I get to ask everyone's opinion.  I have always used a hoop to cross stitch.  I was taught many many years ago from an aunt.

Today I went to my local cross stitch/embroidery store, and the owner told me that hoops are the worst thing for pieces. :(  She said that I should be using stretcher bars.

I have always used a hoop to cross stitch.  I was taught many many years ago from an aunt.  I have never found that it damaged my work whatsoever.  Has anybody else heard of this?

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2020-10-1 08:52
| Show all posts
I don't have issues with plastic hoops, they are still my preference.
I own a q-snap and don't prefer their weight and find it difficult to centre my work.
Stretcher bars are generally for larger projects.
Do what works for you!
I find any marks will get ironed out after washing and pressing
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-12-23 05:07
| Show all posts
Yes I have also heard this but like you have always used a hoop with no issue. I do though ensure my work is remove from the hoop once I stop working on it for the day.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-11-20 00:44
| Show all posts
hi, I don't have problem with my plastic hoops. I didn't like metal or wood hoops because they don't hold tight.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-10-23 00:05
| Show all posts
I’m a firm believer in using what works best for you. Don’t let anyone tell you how you should do something

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-1-5 14:08
| Show all posts
I've never had a permanent mark left from a hoop though I don't leave it on overnight.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-1-20 23:30
| Show all posts
I use hoops on small projects, q snaps on big

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-2-10 10:26
| Show all posts
Following this thread

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-3-24 00:14
| Show all posts
Hoops can leave permanent marks in your fabric. Yes, many years ago hoops were the norm, but since then we have learned of downfalls to using them. I use q-snaps that are much more gentler on fabric and don't leave marks. They come in various sizes and you can interchange them to make different shapes and sizes.

Stretcher bars are used for canvas work, not cross stitch. Though she may be referring to the kind that are used in a needlework stand and if that is the case they would work but a lot more trouble working with.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-3-24 02:52
| Show all posts
I personally use Q-snaps and I find them much easier to use and have never had a permanent mark left in my fabric.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-3-24 06:31
| Show all posts
I still use hoops.  I found my large q snaps too heavy to hold so I had to balance a good part of it on a table or stand.

So, even though they don't leave marks in your fabric, they are just too heavy for me to hold.  So I'll stick  with my hoops and take the fabric out once I have finished for the day.  I wouldn't use the old metal hoops either, they do rust on your fabric if the air is damp with high humidity.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-3-24 07:20
| Show all posts
I admit I use hoops as well. Not that I haven't been checking around lately. But as LouAnna says, hoops are lighter and are easier to hold on their own, and I tend to watch TV while sitting on my sofa when I stitch. Also easier to transport, if you wnat to stitch on the train or at a lunch break, or just going away.

So while I might want a larger frame for my larger projects, I still haven't quite fugured out how it would work out practically. And I have never experienced a mark left by my hoop that didn't come out with cleaning. And I do that absolute no-no; leave my WIP in the hoop! So I wouldn't worry about it, but use what you are comfortable with. :)

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2015-3-24 08:15
| Show all posts
I agree that any mark that I have had on the piece has come out with a light cleaning.  I also leave my WIPs in the hoop.  ;P

I will continue with my tried and true method...

Thanks for replying.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-3-24 21:32
| Show all posts
My hoop leaves marks on fabric, but leaving my work under some heavy books solves problem. My first hoop was a complete disaster - so I'm 50-50 here, it depends. I near future I'm planning to buy q-snaps. You're very convincing :D

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-19 12:22 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.057280 sec., 19 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list