Register
Search
Author: sundrop016
Collapse the left

[Crochet] Learned to Crochet

[Copy link]
Post time: 2015-9-8 03:33
| Show all posts
It also depends on the stitches the pattern calls for. Single crochet is the shortest, then half double crochet, double crochet, and triple crochet. Just glancing at my toy patterns, most seem to call for single crochet.

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-9-8 06:02
| Show all posts
I wish I had the patience to keep knitting.... but my mom taught me crochet first, so knitting seems awfully slow in comparison. I suggest you try to crochet something with a double thread and twice the hook size, that can really make a difference! And the kind of yarn you use is important as well... Something made with Drops Paris ends up twice the size of something crocheted with Phildar Cotton 3, for example!

But it really comes down to the fact that a lot of amigurumi are just really small! Try something by Delicious Crochet or MyKrissieDolls... most of those patterns are quite big.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-9-9 11:11
| Show all posts
basically for crochet toys. in order to get a BIGGER toy, just GO UP in terms of yarn weight. and change your hook size accordingly. personally, if your crochet toy is smaller than your knitted toy. it's just the pattern, the pattern is the root of it?

if u are doing a toy, amigurumi, you should always use a smaller hook, cos that gives u a TIGHTER WEAVE, without holes and hence no stuffing peeking through.

the larger your yarn, the larger your toy. if your toy now is made in a DK, go up to an aran, or a chunky.

i'm a tight crocheter, so my DK toys, end up usually being 3/4 the size of the actual toy (in photos), so i know that i have to go up in terms of yarn weight to at least aran to get a nice cuddly size

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2015-9-9 21:22
| Show all posts
thanks lyraine for the advice.  What size hook should I use for amigurumi's?  I do see the stuffing using a larger hook, but crochet turns out a very small toy.   I use acrylic yarn, size medium DW.  That yarn on a size 4 knitting needle produces a very nice size doll.  With crochet, I used a size I or H hook and the amigurumi is pretty small.  I want to crochet the doll and have the end result coming out as big as my knit dolls.  See  Rae's Knit Knacks for my dolls and their sizes.  Thanks:)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-11-2 19:44
| Show all posts
I learned to crochet when I was 7 years old and has become my only passion

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2015-11-3 00:40
| Show all posts
thanks everyone for your advice.  I do appreciate your help!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-16 08:49
| Show all posts

Amigurumi uses tight single crochet stitches, pretty much never anything else because there would be gaps and you want a solid fabric.

The overall size just varies depending on who designed it, if I'm understanding you correctly. You can vary size by varying the yarn weight and hook size; just follow the pattern exactly as you normally would. The key is the hook size in relation to yarn weight. Use a smaller hook than you normally would and your stitches will be small and tight. I usually use a 3.75mm hook with worsted weight yarn.

Look up a site called "All About Ami", she has excellent tutorials.

Comments

Thank you so much, I desperately want ti learn  Details Reply Post time 2019-9-17 15:25
thanks for the info:)  Post time 2017-5-16 21:52

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-10-20 04:15
| Show all posts
good luck!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-9-17 15:25
| Show all posts
Yarny

Login/Register to enlarge
2017-5-16 02:49

Amigurumi uses tight single crochet stitches, pretty much never anything else because there would  ...

Thank you so much,  I desperately want ti learn

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-2-23 22:38
| Show all posts
Congrats on learning ❤ Hook size increase and you can also increase the yarn weight

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-19 16:28 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.063151 sec., 16 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list