Hot search: Doll Doll M p cat doll
View: 5252|Reply: 32
Collapse the left

[Knitting] Short Rows - What are they.

[Copy link]
Post time: 2016-8-26 02:10
| Show all posts |Read mode
Short rows have lots of uses.  
They make a flat object take shape.They can be the heel of a sock, or they can turn the stair stepping of a shoulder into a smooth angle

They can build up the back neck in a raglan sweater, or they can shape a sweater front for a large bosom.
Today’s article is focusing on short rows for bust shaping.
Short rows add length to the overall body.  They make up for the extra length that’s taken up by a larger bust.  If your sweaters tend to bow up in the front like this, short rows can solve the problem.

There are several ways to do short rows and I’ve probably tried most of them—wrap and turn, Japanese, yarn over, make 1—and the one that I prefer has changed over the years.  For the past several though, I’ve been a wrap and turn girl.  Why?  It just seems to be the simplest method for me and never produces a hole.
If you have a different preferred method by all means continue using it!  If it looks good and it works for you then that’s all you need.
Wrap & Turn on a knit rowIf your pattern says “knit 10, w&t” you would knit 10 sts and then perform the w&t on the 11th stitch as follows:

step one

Step 1: Slip the next stitch purlwise.

Step 2: Bring the working yarn to the front.

Step 3: Return the slipped stitch to the left needle.

Step 4: Turn your work.

You’ve now wrapped your stitch (in our example it is stitch number 11) and the working yarn is in the correct place for you to begin working the next row.

Wrap & Turn on a purl rowIf your pattern says “purl 10, w&t” you would purl 10 sts and then perform the w&t on the 11th stitch as follows:

Step 1: Slip the next stitch purlwise.

Step 2: Bring the working yarn to the back.

Step 3: Return the slipped stitch to the left needle.

Step 4: Turn your work.

You’ve now wrapped your stitch (in our example it is stitch number 11) and the working yarn is in the correct place for you to begin knitting the next row.

Picking up a wrap on a knit row
Knit until you’ve reached the stitch that has been wrapped.  The wrapped stitch will be unworked and on the left needle. Take your right needle and put the tip underneath the wrap and then through the knit stitch in the same way you always insert a needle when doing a knit stitch

Pull the yarn through to make a stitch.  Note that this may take a little finessing to get it working

Slip the stitch off the left needle. Wrap has been picked up and worked—you’re done!                               

Picking up a wrap on a purl row

Purl until you’ve reached the stitch that has been wrapped.  The wrapped stitch will be unworked and on the left needle.

Take your right needle and put it underneath the wrap. Lift the wrap and place it on the left needle.

Purl both the wrap and the stitch it was wrapping as one—just as you would do a p2tog.  Slip both the stitch and the wrap off the left needle.  Wrap has been picked up and worked—you’re done!

NOw mind you there are a number of ways to do short rows, this is just one of them.

i hope you found this help for and informative.

thank you.

This post contains more resources

You have to Login for download or view attachment(s). No Account? Register

x

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +20 Collapse Reason
Bleu + 20 Usefull

View Rating Log

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Related collections:

Post time: 2018-7-21 05:40
| Show all posts
Thank you for this very nice tutorial. I've knitted patterns featuring short rows for years.  Fun to do and I love the result!  My favorite pattern incorporating short rows is "Secret of Change" by Veer Valimaki.  I am now on my 12th shawl using that pattern.  It is garter stitch and short rows.  The pattern is fabulous when worked in long color repeat yarns like Noro Taiyo or Noro Silk Garden.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-8-20 01:28
| Show all posts
My favorite shawl pattern, designed by Veera Valimaki, is called Secret of Change.  It features short rows and eyelets.  I love it so much that I just finished my 13th shawl from this pattern.  Short rows are great for self-striping yarns with long color repeats, like many of the Noro yarns.  

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-8-20 06:42
| Show all posts
Very interesting and thank you for sharing! My problem, when using for torso shaping, is knowing exactly when to begin and end, but for socks, I think I’ve got my own foot shaping pretty perfect.  :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-8-27 16:21
| Show all posts
Thank you very much for your explanations. Another interesting shawl using short rows is "color affection". I love it so much and I recommend it.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-3-25 17:01
| Show all posts
Sooo very useful and very well explained!! Thank you so very much!!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-12-15 14:55
| Show all posts
This is wonderful information!  Thank you so much!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-8-7 07:32
| Show all posts
Thank you for explaining this. I never understood what it did.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-5-13 07:28
| Show all posts
gracias por compartir tan útil tutorial

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-14 22:44
| Show all posts
Köszönöm szépen, ez nagyon haszon leírás.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-5-13 13:24
| Show all posts
Thanks for this clear démonstration

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-9-3 22:33
| Show all posts
thanks, useful info!!!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-3-6 23:23
| Show all posts
Thanks for posting!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-13 08:23
| Show all posts
Love short rows! Thanks

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-15 01:04
| Show all posts
muchas gracias

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-7-30 05:50
| Show all posts
Thank you very much !

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-9-1 20:30
| Show all posts
Great explanations. Thank you.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-9-4 06:51
| Show all posts
gracias por la explicacion

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-9-4 07:00
| Show all posts

Very nice! Thank you for sharing!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-3-29 22:47 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.079863 sec., 23 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list