Search
Hot search: Doll Doll M p cat doll
View: 2140|Reply: 28
Collapse the left

where did you learn?

[Copy link]
Post time: 2017-5-26 03:31
| Show all posts |Read mode
i love looking at the knitting patterns here .
i crochet and crossstitch, where sould i turn to teach myself to knit ?

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2021-1-16 16:19
| Show all posts
Clearly OP doesn't need the advice anymore, but for those who might need it now: youtube is your friend. If you are able to follow videos in English there's a vast choice of video tutorials. If you're not confident enough with the English language, (keep in mind you can play youtube videos at a slower speed, just click on the little wheel in the lower right corner on the screen), try to search youtube anyway, I have seen videos in franch, spanish, russian, german, italian...there's plenty to choose from. If you're a visual learner, Garnstudio has a series of silent videos where you only see the instructor's hands moving, they're well done and detailed, but probably won't be the best for you if you need a verbal explanation, but they're fine to go beyond the language barrier. Other good youtube channels are Sheep and Stitch, Very Pink Knits, and, if you need to see how a specific stitch is made, New Stitch a Day is a fantastic resource, they have a youtube channel and a website, so you also have the options of written instructions. There's also one thing to keep in mind if you're not an English native speaker: US knitting and crochet terms somewhat differ from UK ones, same goes for needle/hook sizes, yarn weights and some stitch and pattern abbreviations. I would advise the beginner to keep that in mind when browsing knitting/crochet resources in English. If you google "Knitting conversion chart" you'll find plenty of information on such differences.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-10-6 09:41
| Show all posts
Most yarn shops offer classes and also some instruction if you buy the materials used at the shop.  There are some amazing instructional videos and tutorials on youTube, too.  I was taught as a child by an aunt.  I'm now a grandmother.  But I was really not taught all of the basics.  I've just had this lifelong fascination with knitting.  I crochet, too!  I'm mostly self-taught but have published some patterns and done a lot of designing.  I just kept going!  I hope you are able to connect with some knitters and that you come to love knitting as much as I do!  All the best as you get started.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-2-27 22:12
| Show all posts
I crochet and knit since I was a child: I was taught both by my grandmothers and great-grandmother, bless them all.
For many years I put aside this art but lately am back to it, at full throttle, LOL! I am very much into amigurumis.
I wish I could sew though - I see some projects that inspire me but I find it utterly difficult. I even bought a sewing machine but I only used it once, when mum came over to fix my curtains and other little things.
Oh, I like cross stitch but never attempted it. It looks like a very relaxing craft. :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-1-20 05:44
| Show all posts
I learned from my grandmother at a very young age, then didn't knit for years.  To relearn I used the series of books called The Harmony Guide To Knitting Stitches.  I found they described the stitches and techniques very well.  If I had problems with a pattern, I could always find the requisite definitions in the Harmony Guides with clear instructions. I still use them to this day.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-10-21 23:27
| Show all posts
Mom taught me how to crochet when I was 12, I learned knitting all by my self from youtube in less than a week about 6 months ago, just grab pair of needles and a ball of yarn and don't think much about it, I  since than created beautiful pieces with some very advanced techniques, and all that is just from youtube.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-1-23 11:34
| Show all posts
This is a curious question. I started as bought the needles by Ebay, metal and bambo options, then the yarn.

After I just see videos on youtube and start to practice the movements. I am newbie but I enjoy to imagine all the project I will create.

First step are the intention, then... Try.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-12-17 16:03
| Show all posts
You have likely done well by now, but I found that the best way to learn was in person. I had a co-worker help me.  She was great.  I did learn when I was a kid, but didn't really remember how. Good luck with your crafting.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-10-25 00:38
| Show all posts
Youtube is the best. You need practice, practice, and practice, but it's not impossible.
I learn with "very pink knits" she is the best because she has a lot of information, techniques, stitches, and slow-motion videos.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2017-5-26 08:56
| Show all posts
zephyr 2017-5-26 08:32
The best way to learn is from someone else who can teach you.

If that is impossible you can search  ...

thank you for the tips . I will check out the book you mentioned . also some videos .:)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-26 08:32
| Show all posts
The best way to learn is from someone else who can teach you.

If that is impossible you can search on the internet in your language for video's or sites.
Search with something like Learn to knit.

Comments

thank you for the tips . I will check out the book you mentioned . also some videos .  Details Reply Post time 2017-5-26 08:56
Found an ebook for beginners, costs are 60 coins and the title is Love of Knitting eBook No.1 - Learn to knit  Post time 2017-5-26 08:37

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-26 16:47
| Show all posts
You Tube!!! I taught myself how to crochet from watching different videos, it is excellent

Comments

Brava lisawoody. I also rely on YT to refresh some techniques or learn new ones. Yes, it's an excellent tool.  Post time 2018-2-27 22:14

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-8-27 22:07
| Show all posts
Yarn shops are a great resource and many offer group and/or private lessons. The internet, especially YouTube, is the next best thing.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-9-19 16:36
| Show all posts
When my mom taught me how to knit and crochet i was not going school yet, i was 5 ! It is a very good obsession :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-11-15 14:44
| Show all posts
I learned self-taught, with books. At the time there was no internet.

Comments

Congratulations Isabelle to be self-taught. Amazing!  Post time 2018-2-27 22:13

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-11-16 05:42
| Show all posts
My mother did try to teach me when I was a teen but I only went back to it much later. I re-learned with online videos and the internet.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-3-28 20:46 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.204611 sec., 23 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list