| | Promotion| FAQ|
| | |

PinDIY.com

Forgot password?
 Register
View: 2270|Reply: 29
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] How do you store your needles?

[Copy link]
Post time: 2013-7-2 13:14
| Show all posts |Read mode
Hi guys :D

So I've just started stitching and as I go along, it seems I get more and more needles! I have to sort the sizes and types etc... So I was just wondering, how do all you veteran stitches store/organise your needles? :D Thanks  for sharing!

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2017-8-29 01:31
| Show all posts
I store in the needle box. Some of them I hold on the magnet on the WIP's.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-9-21 19:52
| Show all posts
I bought a set of needles from CLOVER and they come with a needle box

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-9-16 20:37
| Show all posts
Nice tips I can use. Put mine in a sweet dispenser :D

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-2-10 05:40
| Show all posts
Following this thread

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-8 02:49
| Show all posts
Thanks for the info!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-7-2 14:15
| Show all posts
Edited by LouAnna at 2013-7-2 14:16

I keep my new ones in their original packaging in my stash.   I do though have an assorted set, 2 dbl pointed (single eye in the middle), 2 size 24 for gridding and 3-6 28's, one bodkin (knitting) and one beading needle in a piece of fabric that sits close to my stitching.    In case I need them for something.   I have also put pins in there, but found they were best kept in the sewing box, but the odd pin found gets put in the fabric til I have a sort out. Most of my needles are with projects and use stiff thick packaging foam to hold them near my stitching...... so I can just stick them in when not in use and prefer 28's over any other needle.

Comments

Thanks for the reply!Well... My original packaging isn't the reusable kind... So there goes that idea... So far I've only got 4 needles so I've been keeping them on my magnetic needle minder...But I'v  Details Reply Post time 2013-7-2 14:24

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-7-2 14:24
| Show all posts

Thanks for the reply!Well... My original packaging isn't the reusable kind... So there goes that idea... So far I've only got 4 needles so I've been keeping them on my magnetic needle minder...But I've purchased a bulk order from the UK.... 30 needles, 10 of 24, 10 of 26, 10 of 28... The 28s are for my next project and I'm just looking for a handy solution for all of them to make sure I don't mix up my sizes XD I'll have to look into sewing boxes of the sort!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-7-2 14:51
| Show all posts
I use # 28 exclusively.  In a pack of 5, I find that there are slight variations in the needles.  I keep the thinnest for backstitching, the regular ones for cross stitching & gridding.  These different needles are kept in folded foil (the regular kitchen foil) to keep out moisture (I hope).  All these are kept in a small plastic container with the bobby pins.  I chose a rectangular box because it fits into my work box (which is also a rectangle) better.  The new needles of an opened pack stay in the pack, wrapped in 2 layers of foil :)

The beading needles are wrapped in a different foil :)

Each foil pack is labelled.  Or has a different sticker so that I can tell at a glance which is which.

Hope this helps :)

Comments

Ahhh... Hrm...kitchen foil like tin foil? is that hard to remove? And why do you need to keep out moisture? I thought needles nowadays are rust proof?  Details Reply Post time 2013-7-2 14:55

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-7-2 14:55
| Show all posts
porcini replied at 2013-7-2 14:51
I use # 28 exclusively.  In a pack of 5, I find that there are slight variations in the needles.  I  ...

Ahhh... Hrm...kitchen foil like tin foil? is that hard to remove? And why do you need to keep out moisture? I thought needles nowadays are rust proof?

Comments

They are rather rust proof, but they would all rust after some time. But I still would like to think that I am 'doing something' to keep moisture out I have a nasty habit of pinning needles to th  Details Reply Post time 2013-7-2 17:30

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-7-2 15:37
| Show all posts
In blue tack. New packets I just keep in stashed in the little pouch that came with my sewing machine, but once they are opened and used I just stick them into a blob of bluetack.  The best place I have found is on top of my PC monitor - pins, needles, safety pins, even the odd cat whisker gets stuck to my monitor.
But I do have a blob for "in use"  time, when I'm searching for a new thread or have to stop for some reason, I just put the needle in the bluetack blob on my cross stitch box which also holds a scribbled on working copy of my current chart.
In over a decade I haven't had any problems with the blue tack affecting the fabric, thread or needle.  Weird maybe, but it works for me...

P7020003.JPG

Comments

OMG! I thought I was weird and the only one! I have some whiskers that my very first cat shed in a small box I keep on my dresser! Good memories...and that was YEARS AGO!  Details Reply Post time 2013-7-23 11:45
Oh wow.. First of all... I'm very sorry that you lost your cat... People change a bit after they've lost someone they loved... I lost my dogs recently and I now have knew ones...and I know I'm differe  Details Reply Post time 2013-7-2 18:54
Awwww, you're so sweeeeeet to save the whiskers your cats shed. I thought cats because they look distinctly different. My furball sheds her whiskers too, and I keep them in a little jewelry box :)  Post time 2013-7-2 17:27
Hrm... I never thought of bluetack O.O I have a magnetic needleminder that attaches on my project as I work thought. Just curious...what are those long strands coming out of it?  Details Reply Post time 2013-7-2 15:45

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-7-2 15:45
| Show all posts
R Lee replied at 2013-7-2 15:37
In blue tack. New packets I just keep in stashed in the little pouch that came with my sewing machin ...

Hrm... I never thought of bluetack O.O I have a magnetic needleminder that attaches on my project as I work thought.

Just curious...what are those long strands coming out of it?

Comments

They are cats whiskers. Just a strange habit I got in to after my first cat passed away and I had nothing tangible to remind me of him, so now I keep the whiskers I find from our new cat Tommy.  Post time 2013-7-2 18:23

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-7-2 17:30
| Show all posts
Yenilaia replied at 2013-7-2 14:55
Ahhh... Hrm...kitchen foil like tin foil? is that hard to remove? And why do you need to keep out  ...

They are rather rust proof, but they would all rust after some time.  But I still would like to think that I am 'doing something' to keep moisture out :)  I have a nasty habit of pinning needles to the fabric at the end of a session.

Yes, foil as in aluminium kitchen foil that comes in rolls.

Cheers,
p

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-7-2 18:54
| Show all posts
R Lee replied at 2013-7-2 15:37
In blue tack. New packets I just keep in stashed in the little pouch that came with my sewing machin ...

Oh wow.. First of all... I'm very sorry that you lost your cat... People change a bit after they've lost someone they loved... I lost my dogs recently and I now have knew ones...and I know I'm different... I'm very jumpy at things... I over worry and I get scared all the time if they have the slightest bit of signs of being sick or hurt in anyway...

Secondly...I didn't know cats lose their whiskers... O.O I learned something new today. :D

Comments

Thanks Yenilaia. It was a long time ago but I still miss him sometimes. I'm sorry to hear about your dogs. I can't tell you that it will ever get better, but it will fade over time.  Post time 2013-7-3 08:47

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-7-3 02:30
| Show all posts
I buy my needles in bulk and I store them in a little container (each container has a size), then I use the needle organizer for storing a LOT of threaded needles, then of course I use a my little "witch's hat" needle minder for parking needles while I am stitching.

I am getting them together to take a pic so that you can see what I mean. :)

Comments

YAY FOR PICTURES!! This is like... Stitching voyuerism XD jk  Details Reply Post time 2013-7-3 02:41

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-27 11:02 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.066842 sec., 18 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list