View: 1094|Reply: 6
Print Prev. thread Next thread
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] How to store kits

[Copy link]
Jump to specified page
Post time: 2013-5-27 05:25
| Show the author posts only Reply Awards |Descending |Read mode
I'm looking for some advice on how to store kits or projects that I kit myself.  Specifically, I'd like to hear from people who use some sort of bag system.  I guess I'd like to know what size and brand of 'zip pouches' people use to store kits as most of the projects I work on are either booklet form or looseleaf 8X11.

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Recommend
Post time: 2013-5-27 19:25
| Show the author posts only
I store the supplies in a 10 X 12 plastic zip lock, and the whole project in a 12 X 15 basket (that way I can stack the projects I'm working on in a corner of my sewing table).
Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-28 01:45
I use 8 1/2 x 11" sheet protectors to put charts in.  Especially small ones like LHN that are folded small.  They protect the charts after much handling.  I buy them in bulk at office supply stores, usually about $15 for 200.  They are of course reusable, too for when I've finished a project.  If there are just three pages or so I usually put all in one sheet protector with the chart showing on one side and the key on the other.  If there are multiple pages I will use more sheet protectors and keep them together using metal rings at top, middle, and bottom.  I get these at the office supply store and buy them in bulk, too.  I can't remember the cost but it's about $15 for 50 approximately.

If I have a small project I will put threads/buttons in quart size Zip-lock bags and slide that into the sheet protector to keep it together.  If larger project, I use gallon size Zip-lock bags and put the sheet protectors in it to keep together.  The Zip lock won't close totally but that's not important I want air to go through anyway to keep out moisture over time.

I put the fabrics (rolled or folded) into the same gallon bags or sheet protectors if they are very small projects.  Then I put several "kits" in a large tote bag.  I can usually fit a dozen in one bag.  I try to arrange them so that there are small, medium, and large projects in each bag.  I currently have more than 30 bags of projects in progress or fully kitted.  These have grown over the years.  Every so often I will rearrange how they are sorted.  Usually I rotate working on various projects but eventually  some will "pull ahead" and I will focus more on those.

In several of the tote bags I have a small quart size zip bag with a variety of needles, magnets, thread cards or bobbins, pen and notepad, hi-lighter tape, scissors, etc.  It's taken a long time to keep a kit of supplies in each bag but I always buy supplies just like anything else stitching related.  This way whenever I grab a bag to take on a trip or to just go outside to stitch, I have everything I need to get started and don't have to always think about it.

I store the tote bags in my stitching room closet but also have them in the other bedroom closets, and usually keep a couple in the living room closet.  So definitely had to spread them out since they have grown to many.  

This system works for me and really the costs are low overall.  I buy ugly tote bags on clearance at discount stores at the end of the summer so many are beach bags or even free ones I've gotten from airlines, gift with purchase, etc.  I don't care how they look, they just need to serve a purpose to hold my projects.  And I didn't buy all at one time.  In the beginning I even used paper shopping bags with the twine handles because they are sturdy.  Eventually I replaced those paper ones over time.  The office supplies are all reusable as are the plastic bags.  

And before I forget, I do also buy the plastic mesh bags sold at many stitch shops and sites on-line (Nordic Needle) for much larger projects.  So I have several 11x17 zippered bags and other large sizes.  If there are multiple small projects I'm really into doing, I will sometimes put three or four in one of these just to be able to grab and go easily.  

I also stitch in hand for the most part but do also like to use Q-Snaps.  Again, over time, I've acquired many sizes so I usually keep one in most bags, small, medium, and large.  So they are readily available to use at any time and if one bag doesn't have one I can easily pilfer from a different bag.

Hope this gives you some ideas and helps you to decide your own best way to organize your kits. :)

Comments

What great ideas. Thank you SO much for sharing all your storage ideas. I have really just begun to start my 'stash' and hearing about these great tips has really inspired me. I just hate when all  Details Reply Post time 2013-5-28 04:09
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-5-28 04:09

What great ideas.  Thank you SO much for sharing all your storage ideas.  I have really just begun to start my 'stash' and hearing about these great tips has really inspired me.  I just hate when all my stuff is all over the place and I'm not a huge fan of big storage containers as I live in a smallish condo right now and don't have my own craft room (yet :P)  I really wanted to say that I appreciate the time you've taken to share your knowledge and your own tips and tricks. :loveliness:

Comments

You are most welcome! I'm glad that I could offer you some ideas. I have stitched for many years and I started using big tote boxes originally. However, because they were big and deep I needed to k  Details Reply Post time 2013-5-28 04:55

Use magic Report

5#
Post time: 2013-5-28 04:55
Narneh replied at 2013-5-27 14:09
What great ideas.  Thank you SO much for sharing all your storage ideas.  I have really just begun ...

You are most welcome!  I'm glad that I could offer you some ideas.  I have stitched for many years and I started using big tote boxes originally.  However, because they were big and deep I needed to keep them in the basement or back of the closet so they were not very accessible or inconvenient.  I didn't like "digging" them out or digging through them whenever I wanted to work on something different.  My problem with the totes now, is that I just like to stitch a lot and over time have acquired more than I could every possibly stitch in a lifetime yet I keep kitting new projects up all the time...even before I finish others.  This is why I'm always rotating through them.  But it's okay, it's all for fun and relaxation and the good thing is that even if I have acquired a lot, I still work on them and still enjoy a big variety of projects.  I figure if I have one vice, it is stitching and all that goes along with it so really it's not a "bad" thing for me.  Good luck with your kitting and planning, that's half the fun!  Fun to play with stash, fabrics, threads, and kitting up new projects.  :)

Use magic Report

6#
Post time: 2022-2-10 23:56
Following this thread

Use magic Report

7#
Post time: 2023-3-15 04:02
I have a bunch of flat zip bags that I pick according to the hoop size. The pattern goes in a sheet protector, and if possible into Pattern Keeper (android app that is extremely helpful).

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-27 23:06 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.093915 sec., 21 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list