Register
View: 2338|Reply: 26
Collapse the left

Alternative thread to DMC

[Copy link]
Post time: 2015-10-22 05:43
| Show all posts |Read mode
Advice on thread to use instead of DMC.
What other brands are okay to use as DMC is getting expensive?

Comments

Very old post in wrong area  Post time 2019-2-17 23:58

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2017-4-18 08:59
| Show all posts
I surprisingly really like the chinese ones from ebay/ aliexpress. They are a bit thicker so they give better coverage stitching with two strands on 14ct than DMC or Anchor. And one of the things that annoyed me the most about DMC is that they're so flossy, they break up really quickly so you need to have a shorter thread to stop that from happening but I don't have that problem with the chinese floss. I used to be pretty religious about using DMC but I much prefer the Chinese threads now.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-10-5 03:51
| Show all posts
in BG we can buy DMC, Anchor, Madeira, Ariadna, Rosache, CXC and Pupets.
There is one company in BG, producer of threads, but it produce for Madeira, and it's not possible to by threads from this company. The prices: DMC about 0.50-0.60 Euro per skien, Anchor and Madeira more expensive, the other less as DMC: about 0.20-0.45 Euro per skiens.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-7-12 22:31
| Show all posts

I agree! I've also found good thread at yard sales. I'd rather pay for DMC than some of the less expensive brands, personally. I haven't dabbled much yet with the Gentle Arts and other specialty threads, although I think they're beautiful!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-12-6 15:28
| Show all posts
DMC (and Anchor) is too expensive for me :(  than I use Rosace threads. Colour range is same than DMC, and conversion is very easy: Rosace colour number equal DMC colour number double ( for example DMC 310= Rosace 620 ) the thread quality's not bad, too :)  I like it :D

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-4-7 20:50
| Show all posts
DMC is up to 1.80Euro here in Europe, the cheapest I found within my country is about 95c per skein! I also love Madeira and handy dyed floss - they may be much more expensive than regular floss, but some are really nice! I also buy on ebay, stash stuff from other stitchers, ...

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-11-4 18:38
| Show all posts
Pinkelicious

Login/Register to enlarge
2015-11-4 16:56

I really like using Anchor threads - so it maybe a good alternative to try

i like anchor myself and the colour range is only 5 less than dmc ;) dunno why people don't like it they nice and smooth ;)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-10 04:02
| Show all posts
I guess I'm lucky DMC is cheap where I live. I would be curious to try some of the other brands though, some of them look less glossy which I would prefer for some things.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-12-11 09:19
| Show all posts
i see full set of cxc floss $49 USD 447 colors for $49 usd i think its to good a deal to not at least try it out ^^

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-9 08:09
| Show all posts
I have always used DMC but it is now $1.85 a skein here in NZ so will have to loo at buying some other brand.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-11-4 16:56
| Show all posts
I really like using Anchor threads - so it maybe a good alternative to try

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-10-22 06:01
| Show all posts
no matter to me,
cross stitch is my hobby, and floss belongs to this

I love Soie d'Alger, Belle Soie, Atalie floss and soie,
WDW and Valdani,

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-10-22 09:34
| Show all posts
Agree with on the cost.  Unfortunately, DMC is about the most affordable and the most widely used by designers.  I have heard of stitchers who get very good deals from ebay for whole lots of DMC.  

The other way is not really to not use DMC but to use less of it, but this way works only if you have very good eyesight : stitch 1 over 1 on 25ct or 1 over 2 on 36ct.  I opted for the 36ct, and it really saved me quite a fair bit.  However, i needed more breaks due to the tiny-ness of the count.

Hope this helps :)

Comments

thank you. your answer was very helpful  Details Reply Post time 2015-10-22 11:05

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2015-10-22 11:05
| Show all posts

stitcherex

2015-10-22 02:34

Agree with on the cost.  Unfortunately, DMC is about the most affordable and the most widely used by ...

thank you. your answer was very helpful

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-10-23 22:18
| Show all posts
I only use DMC as it is still the cheapest here.. But i have found an online site that sells very similiar threads to DMC. If I run out of DMC, I might go for this.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-10-28 20:20
| Show all posts
В России можно использовать вместо ниточек DMC  нитки фабрики им. Кирова . У них даже цветов в палитре больше! Есть таблички перевода!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-10-29 21:57
| Show all posts
i found a set of chinese threads that are same [even colour coding] as dmc as i am myself on a budget, it was £29-33 for the whole set of 447 colours and as far as i read rewievs it seem pretty good quality too. Not sure if you can buy it as separate colours but people said they mixing it with dmc and there is no visible difference. Also there is one called CXC which also seem pretty cheap and i think it's actually the same thiing i found but can't be 100% sure ;)

Comments

thank you for that  Details Reply Post time 2015-10-30 05:56

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2015-10-30 05:56
| Show all posts

kolina382

2015-10-29 14:57

i found a set of chinese threads that are same [even colour coding] as dmc as i am myself on a budge ...

thank you for that

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-10-30 10:41
| Show all posts
if you care about the process of stitching, do not try the chinese dmc, they do a perfect job on the colour but technique wise, it knots a lot and doesnt shine as much as dmc threads.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-10-30 18:15
| Show all posts

januuary

2015-10-30 10:41

if you care about the process of stitching, do not try the chinese dmc, they do a perfect job on the ...

i have not try them myself so only saying what i read and the rewievs looked really well and they come in smaller packs really inexpensive so it might be worth checking, as people got theyr own prefferentces, I might end up liking them haha so might someone else :D most people like to work with dmc i preffer anchor [they for me feel smoother] :D

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-5-10 20:51 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.099046 sec., 22 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list