amyleesf Publish time 2013-3-9 19:01

Stain on the cloth

I've left two pieces of aida cloth in the cupboard for over 5 years, and when I looked recently, they had developed patches of brownish moldlike stains like a bad skin allergy. Can anyone please tell me how to get rid of the stains without damaging my stitched work?

Knitpurlsm Publish time 2024-4-8 03:04

Thanks for the info!

scotchnsoda Publish time 2013-3-10 09:56

It depends on what color the cloth is.If it is white, try dabbing some hydrogen peroxide on it.If the stain starts to disappear, dab a little more.Make sure you wash the peroxide out, as sometimes it will leave a slightly yellow stain.Hope this helps.DO NOT use hydrogen peroxide on any other color cloth, as it is a bleaching agent.

R Lee Publish time 2013-3-10 11:31

honestly I dont know if there is any way. If it is white cloth, depending on where it is in relation to the stitched design, you may be able to try bleach, peroxide, napisan, shower mould sprays. They should all get rid of the mould but may discolour the fabric. You definitely need to kill the mould for safety reasons, but if you cant get rid of the discolouration it leaves, you may be able to add some stitching to cover it (a star, a flower, depending on the design)

seb0357 Publish time 2013-3-10 12:15

I put Clorox on a cotton swab and dabbed the mold on the white part of the Aida that had no stitching and it removed the stain.If you have stitched where there is mold, maybe some of the stain removers for colored clothes might work. Hope you find a solution that works.

LouAnna Publish time 2013-3-10 15:56

I would suggest trying hand soap as it will remove dirt.I always try the safest route first just in case it's just moisture, a spill or grease from being handled.   I use an Oxy cleaner made for fabrics as my second choice of attack.
If it is really stubborn I would then try the peroxide or bleach in very small amounts and rinse, rinse, rinse!   Then try a light wash with mild soap afterwards to make sure the bleach and/or peroxide is out of the fabric as it could over time weaken the fabric.

amyleesf Publish time 2013-3-10 18:23

Thank you everyone for their kind replies. I have looked at my pieces of cloth over and again I wonder why I left them there in the first place.

1) The cloth was white - it doesnt look very white anymore. But I will try the (a) soap and if it doesnt work (b) small amounts of bleach Clorox/hydrogen peroxide.

I will try it most likely on Wednesday, as today is already too late. I will post results.

scotchnsoda Publish time 2013-3-10 20:19

amyleesf replied at 2013-3-10 05:23 static/image/common/back.gif
Thank you everyone for their kind replies. I have looked at my pieces of cloth over and again I wond ...

Let us know what happens!

biacl Publish time 2013-3-15 11:49

Hope it works, will keep an eye on this!

amyleesf Publish time 2013-3-15 17:49

biacl replied at 2013-3-15 11:49 static/image/common/back.gif
Hope it works, will keep an eye on this!

Hi gals, the hand soap worked and didnt work - On some areas,it reduced more brown than the others. Overall, it is still no go, - but I guess this is because the cloth has been left too long. I did not try the clorox.

Since I did not finish the piece, there is a sizable area left. I could cut out the exposed area and use the rest. Or I could try "dying the cloth" with tea leaves to give it that overall faded look.
Oh, well. I shall sleep on this one. I am consoling myself with another sampler.:L

amyleesf Publish time 2013-3-15 18:04

scotchnsoda replied at 2013-3-10 09:56 static/image/common/back.gif
It depends on what color the cloth is.If it is white, try dabbing some hydrogen peroxide on it.I ...

Yes,yes, the cloth is white.. Ok, I shall buy the hydrogen peroxide to try. I was stitching Jean Farish's America here, so it is a sizeable piece. Thank you for highlighting the hydogen peroxide solution. I had forgotten about this, even though kind souls mentioned it earlier.

thank you very much.:)
Pages: [1] 2
View full version: Stain on the cloth