quietone Publish time 2013-11-10 07:32

Best linen to start with

I'm just wondering what type/count linen would be good for someone that has never used it?Thanks

evenflo09 Publish time 2013-11-10 08:31

That's a great question tone! I have never used it either and would like to know this as well in case I do decide to ever try it. My eyes are not so good anymore. :loveliness:

waterlillie Publish time 2013-11-10 08:37

You would probably want to start with 28 count, which is equivalent to 14 count aida. I usually use evenweave, not linen. With linen, the threads are not all the same size and it makes it hard to get the stitches even. You might want to try evenweave first, to get used to stitching over 2 threads. It takes a while, but once you figure it out it's not any harder, in fact it's easier to do partial stitches. Then you could try linen.

LouAnna Publish time 2013-11-10 10:07

I agree waterlilie!I went from aida to even weave to linen.   I like the feel of the linen and fromwhat I have read it really lasts, much better than cotton.Do watchout for fabrics that contain polyester though, as they might discolor or pill and may not last.
Remember too folks that hanging afinished piece on any wall in sunlight will fade it.

cjstitch Publish time 2013-11-10 17:24

I also agree that an evenweave is the best choice to start with before investing in more expensive linen.You'll be amazed at how easy fractional stitches are as cimpared to fighting with aida.As for framing, make sure you use spacers and be aware that humidity can also affect your work.

siennaX Publish time 2013-12-8 07:42

I agree with starting on 28ct. (especially if you are used to stitching on 14ct.) but I don't think you have to gradually progress. I would advise stitching on whatever feels best in hand.I love the way linen feels.That enjoyment translates to how I feel about the stitching in general.When I made the "leap" I went straight to linen. It still remains my favorite.Experiment and enjoy.

htsear13 Publish time 2022-2-10 06:10

Following this thread

Knitpurlsm Publish time 2024-4-8 06:10

Thanks for the info!
Pages: [1]
View full version: Best linen to start with