Forgot password?
 Register
View: 776|Reply: 12
Collapse the left

[Skill Help] Best linen to start with

[Copy link]
Post time: 2013-11-10 07:32
| Show all posts |Read mode
I'm just wondering what type/count linen would be good for someone that has never used it?  Thanks

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +1 Collapse Reason
evenflo09 + 1 Usefull

View Rating Log

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2013-11-10 08:31
| Show all posts
That's a great question tone! I have never used it either and would like to know this as well in case I do decide to ever try it. My eyes are not so good anymore. :loveliness:

Comments

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-11-10 08:37
| Show all posts
You would probably want to start with 28 count, which is equivalent to 14 count aida. I usually use evenweave, not linen. With linen, the threads are not all the same size and it makes it hard to get the stitches even. You might want to try evenweave first, to get used to stitching over 2 threads. It takes a while, but once you figure it out it's not any harder, in fact it's easier to do partial stitches. Then you could try linen.

Comments

Thank you!  Post time 2018-3-22 18:17
Thanks for the info. I remember seeing linen before and how uneven it is. Great suggestion for evenweave! :)  Post time 2013-11-10 11:18
Thank you. Off to search the web for some  Post time 2013-11-10 08:52

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-11-10 10:07
| Show all posts
I agree waterlilie!  I went from aida to even weave to linen.   I like the feel of the linen and from  what I have read it really lasts, much better than cotton.  Do watchout for fabrics that contain polyester though, as they might discolor or pill and may not last.  
Remember too folks that hanging a  finished piece on any wall in sunlight will fade it.  

Comments

Thanks for the tip on poly! :)  Post time 2013-11-10 11:18

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-11-10 17:24
| Show all posts
I also agree that an evenweave is the best choice to start with before investing in more expensive linen.  You'll be amazed at how easy fractional stitches are as cimpared to fighting with aida.  As for framing, make sure you use spacers and be aware that humidity can also affect your work.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-12-8 07:42
| Show all posts
I agree with starting on 28ct. (especially if you are used to stitching on 14ct.) but I don't think you have to gradually progress. I would advise stitching on whatever feels best in hand.  I love the way linen feels.  That enjoyment translates to how I feel about the stitching in general.  When I made the "leap" I went straight to linen. It still remains my favorite.  Experiment and enjoy.  

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-2-10 06:10
| Show all posts
Following this thread

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-8 06:10
| Show all posts
Thanks for the info!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-28 01:40 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.062510 sec., 16 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list