Forgot password?
 Register
View: 2096|Reply: 29
Collapse the left

[Knitting] Square knitting needles?

[Copy link]
Post time: 2015-9-29 08:08
| Show all posts |Read mode
Anyone ever try them? Would love opinions as I am still on the fence about buying a set.

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2018-1-20 05:48
| Show all posts
I have tried the square knitting needles and determined that they were not the right kind of needles for me.  When I knit when not looking at my hands, I use the curve of the needle to help find out where the stitches are.  With the square needles, I found I couldn't find the stitches properly without looking.  If you have a chance, try them at a store before you buy.  Most knit shops will have needles that you can try before you buy.  It is a very personal thing, buying knitting needles because each knitter has their own way of knitting, and preferences for feel.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-7-21 05:37
| Show all posts
I bought a set of Cubics interchangeables shorter tips which are square and made of wood. I like them and use them when I need wood because of slippery yarn fiber content.  I like them just fine.  I have interchangeable tips of all material types, but the only interchangeables complete set I've ever bought were the Cubics.  I think somewhere i have some Kollage fixed circular square needles. Those are of metal and I remember that I liked them, too, although right now I am not sure where they are in the chaos of my house!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-11-7 05:04
| Show all posts
Knitting with square needles is not tiring at all I presume. My mom has severe rheumatism and she didn't knit with normal needles (circular and DPN) for years. I gave her my Cubics just for a try.
First she was skeptical, but then fully convinced. It takes a bit until they become accustomed.
Her hands hurt no more, because they probably will not cramp while knitting.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-12-31 08:41
| Show all posts
I find they are comfortable to use. However, I changed to working on circulars for all my knitting, even if the work is flat.  This way it will save in the long run on how many needles you have to purchase.  The interchangeable ones are the best kind of circulars. That way you only have to purchase different length of cables.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-11-5 07:28
| Show all posts
Am I the only one, who loves the Cubics? :o

I have several in different sizes and materials and use them really often besides my Chiaogoo and HiyaHiya.
If you are a tight knitter, they could help you getting the required gauge in patterns. Even for knitter with rheumatism, hand- and shoulder problems it's the best solution, imho.

Comments

"Even for knitter with rheumatism, hand- and shoulder problems it's the best solution, imho." Interesting -can you explain why?  Post time 2015-11-7 02:00

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-1-13 21:40
| Show all posts
I bought the Kollage interchangeable set as a present to my mom, after a knitter at my knitting circle raves about them. My momlikes them enough, but isn’t crazy about them. I have tried them on one project and, contrary to the intended use, put my fingers on the corner. I guess I’m not used to them? Anyway, your mileage may vary!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-2-27 22:31
| Show all posts
I own a Prym set which I purchased on a whim. I am very happy with them but do not "feel" any extreme difference to the traditional ones.
The set I have is pricey but to be honest I wouldn't recommend these needles for the reason that, as I said, to me they feel like the round ones.
Save up your money.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-12-15 14:47
| Show all posts
I actually had a pair of circular ones.  I bought the ones with the really soft cord.  The cord was way to too soft for me, so I gave them to a good friend that also knits.  She liked them.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-11-8 22:44
| Show all posts
I have one set of US 3 or something and I like how pointy the tips are for working with lace weight but like someone else said they hurt your hands because you can feel the edges after a while.  

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-12-8 18:25
| Show all posts

You are definitely not the only one! The Cubics are great :D

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-9-29 08:51
| Show all posts
My vote is no.  I have two: a double point set and a circular size 10 or 11 (US) and initially, it was fun. By the end of the project, I put them away and never used them again.

To be fair, it could have been the size. I generally like teeny tiny needles and skinny yarns so the "knobbiness" really was annoying.

But that's just me.

Comments

Well that doesn't sound good lol...I tend to like the thinner yarns myself and rarely use needles above size 9...by "knobbiness" do you mean the shape of the stitches the needles made?  Post time 2015-9-29 13:07

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-9-29 19:43
| Show all posts
@devra No, the "knobbiness" of the needles. They're eventually hard on the hands. The cubic design creates hard sections all around the needle.
cubic.jpg
On the other hand, I love Signature needles because they're smooth and silky, even the larger sizes. I'd recommend treating yourself to your favorite size in Signature and your favorite size in the cubics. You can choose the sharpness of the ends and what kind of needle top you like, eg "domed," or "spiral" etc.
cubic_Signature.jpg
Let me guess which will be your favorite ... ;P

The photos I just took on my phone don't really show the "sharp" sections of the cubics but after awhile, they're very uncomfortable to use.  

Comments

Thank you for the explanation & visuals! I added Signature on my list of needles to try :)  Post time 2015-9-29 23:34

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-9-29 22:43
| Show all posts
I found them uncomfortable to knit with:(  You will feel the corners on your fingers.

Comments

Thank you for your input ...scratches them off the list :p  Post time 2015-9-29 23:35

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-10-7 06:40
| Show all posts
Oh dear! Call me traditional..................... but, it sounds like another way to part you from your money and the new-fangled, expensive  improvement (??) to be put in the back of the cupboard.......................:'(

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-10-14 15:08
| Show all posts
I have never seen those needles.. nor tried them, but they don't look very comfortable. Like LucyLocket said, they look like an excuse to make you spend more money on needles.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-26 09:31 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.097839 sec., 21 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list