Register
View: 4016|Reply: 63
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] How to stitch faster?

[Copy link]
Post time: 2012-10-9 07:18
| Show all posts |Read mode
Hi everybody!
I was wondering about my stitching skills...:( There are so many patterns that I love, and I always want stitch a lot of then, but every time I start a new project it takes a looonnnngggg time...:'( Even when the pattern is very small... not to mention when I use evenweave...;P Do you have any tips for make my working progress a little bit faster?

Thanks a lot.

Rate

Number of participants 2Gold Coins +4 Collapse Reason
minahadji + 1 Very interesting topic!
lasice + 3 Good question. :o)

View Rating Log

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2012-10-9 07:34
| Show all posts
Don't worry about how long it takes, just enjoy the process! We all have too many projects we want to do, but the relaxing nature of stitching is the most important thing to me. Try to do the most perfect stitching you can, and take your time. You will be glad you did when you see the good results.:)

Comments

Thank you so much! ;-)  Post time 2012-10-10 07:28
Reply Support 2 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-2-15 05:12
| Show all posts
Once I started using scroll frames where both hands were free, I noticed an improvement in speed. You are now able to insert the needle from the top with one hand while using the other hand to push it up from the bottom. It also frees your hands up to be able use both hands with the sewing method. After a while you will use all of the various methods depending on the particular circumstances that you are stitching.

Comments

Will move to scroll frames soon. Thanks again.  Post time 2018-3-21 15:21
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-10-1 09:09
| Show all posts
Just enjoy the process.
One thing I really like about the slow pace is its a journey, each project is different but that's part of the fun.
Considering the materials are more expensive than some other hobbies, the slow pace keeps you occupied for longer and balances out the cost.
I agree about evenweave, but it looks great in the end.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-2-8 22:03
| Show all posts
I have also problem with that. I know to myself that i can finish that piece on a certain period of time but took me so long to finish. maybe because of the mindset that you have a long list of patterns to do. So, I make sure to do one project at a time and dont think my other kits to finish and focus first in what i am stitching.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-7-27 08:07
| Show all posts
this is all great advice, and yes pictures of your progress will encourage alot, i take pictures along the way on anything that I work on. and the kids like looking at the progress too, they like seeing how much I have done each time almost like they are daring me to do more each time lol

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-2-11 05:42
| Show all posts
I found getting a floor stand and interchanging the frames increased not only my stitching speed but motivation too!  The frames will let you stitch two handed and speed will come with this method IMO.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-7-28 21:52
| Show all posts
I have so many project want to do but so little time too. Getting a project from start to complete is a training to calm down the mindset for me. Hope to get faster with more practice too! Happy sewing!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-3-21 15:21
| Show all posts
Thank you for the topic. Having both hands free and "involved" seems to increase the speed. Will move to scroll frames soon. Thanks again.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-8-14 10:08
| Show all posts
I would like to stitch faster, but in the end it is the journey. I’m trying new techniques now

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-10-1 23:35
| Show all posts
Я бы тоже хотела усовершенствовать свои навыки.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-10-9 08:00
| Show all posts
for larger pieces I use a stand to hold my hoop. For smaller pieces, I take pictures with my phone every couple of days so that I can see my progress. It sort of encourages me.

Comments

Yes I agree!! Pictures of progress eases your mind that the end is nearing! LOL  Details Reply Post time 2013-2-14 05:02
Good idea! I will have to think about taking my phone when I get to stitch  Details Reply Post time 2012-10-31 11:33
Yes, usually I take pictures just in the end... I'll start to make this. Thank you! :-)  Post time 2012-10-10 07:30
Photos are a great idea! :D  Post time 2012-10-9 10:18

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-10-9 08:34
| Show all posts
I like the photo idea- I will most certainly use that- all my projects take long- with 4 kids it always takes the back seat to their needs- so when i do get the chance to do it- I really set out to love every minute of it!

Comments

Thank you so much! ;-)  Post time 2012-10-10 07:31

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-10-9 08:46
| Show all posts
Have no fear Izper ! Now you know you are a passionate stitcher in the truest sense :) I think most of us share your feeling of having so many designs we love, want to stitch, but not stitching fast 'enough', not to mention spending way too much time in this forum (if ther is such a thing as spending too much time here !).

Stitching a design is just like being in love, building a relationship.  It takes time, yes, but because we love it, the passage of time is not painful.  Even the more mundane things like prep work like gridding is in some way pleasureable.  Take your time, watch the way the strands covers the threads to form the perfect 'x'.  After completing a few strands, I put down my work, sit back, and admire my work - nothing spectacular, but I just love to look at the magic that actually came from my fingers with coloured threads !

Especially with evenweave, one needs to take time.  I am currently working on linen, and am still learning about this wonderful fabric.  There is a certain satisfaction every time I put the needle thru the correct hole over 2.

Take your time, enjoy it . . . you are after all, crafting a heirloom !

Cheers, p

Comments

Your right spending too much time in this site :)) , either you building up some gold coin or looking for pattern or what's new to forum....  Post time 2013-4-28 22:13
This was a lovely way to say about our passion to stitching! Thank you so much! ;-)  Post time 2012-10-10 07:37

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-10-9 10:19
| Show all posts
My grandmother, after decades of experience, could do about 30 crosses a second (and they looked GOOD too!). I think speed only comes with practice. Enjoy the journey! :loveliness:

Comments

Hahaha, I read the 1 sec and I was shocked, but then I read in the comments that it was 1 min! I'm impressed, anyways :)  Post time 2012-12-5 00:21
Yes, yes, I meant a minute.... I'm sorry. Sometimes I just need to re-read what I type. -_-  Post time 2012-11-3 06:48
Sure you don't mean a minute? Even that would be really fast!  Post time 2012-11-3 00:33
Wow! I do hope I got that 30 crosses/sec skill sooner! :D  Post time 2012-11-1 15:58
ACK, I mistyped that, I meant in a minute! MINUTE! Not a second. Jeeze, I don't think they've got machines that fast yet...  Post time 2012-10-10 12:48
That's the number of crosses I do in 30 mins ! Ok, gimme a few more decades then LOL Cheers, p  Post time 2012-10-10 11:52
I'll and thank you so much! ;-)  Post time 2012-10-10 07:38

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-10-9 20:27
| Show all posts
I'm personally terrified to work with evenweave! It just looks so tiny and there's no one around here that works with it that I know to ask advice from.

Comments

evenweave is wonderful to work on, it's so soft and I love the look of 1 over 1 when doing faces, give it a try, you won't be disappointed.  Details Reply Post time 2012-10-25 16:13
I have similar experience with yours. My first thought with linen was "where are the holes ?!" However, you just need to put your needle through the 'over' thread, start a few rows of practise crosse  Details Reply Post time 2012-10-10 11:50
Same here, but I realized that, here in this forum you can get a lot of tips and great advice! Thank you so much! ;-)  Post time 2012-10-10 07:42

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-10-9 21:34
| Show all posts
I use magnifier and avery bright light.  I also use a hand he'd hoop.   The larger the count fabric the faster I can go.  Just enjoy!  For me it is my meditation.

Comments

Thank you so much! ;-)  Post time 2012-10-10 07:42

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2012-10-10 07:47
| Show all posts
Thanks for everybody! It's wonderful share our feelings and get so many great ideas!:D
It's really encourage me keep doing my stitching "slow and steady";P but enjoying every single stitch :loveliness:!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-10-10 10:14
| Show all posts
I think taking pics will get you really motivated, but, oh girl, don't stress yourself over something like this... Just enjoy and do your best. The satisfaction of having a neat piece of your own work is priceless!

Login/Register to enlarge

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-26 05:17 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.072657 sec., 18 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list