| | Promotion| FAQ|
| | |

PinDIY.com

Forgot password?
 Register
Author: Crimson
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] The Perfect Lap Frame!

[Copy link]
Post time: 2013-4-12 08:28
| Show all posts

Reply Awards +2 Gold Coins

I never finished a large project until recently.  I bought a scroll frame - could not get the fabric taunt enough so I stopped using it.  I tried a ratchet frame, same problem and unwieldy.  Found the EZ Stitch lap frame by searching on Youtube.  I loved it so much I bought a second to put up in case the 1st got broken.  I finally finished my first large project, will hopefully finish the second soon, and plan to start a gorgeous Heaven and Earth design after.  I am so glad I found a lap frame that I could work with.  It really made a difference!

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-12 19:09
| Show all posts

Hi Crimson,
it seems that frames (lap or other) are a recurrent topic, indeed.
So you'll find my answer quite similar to the ones I've already given to other users asking about the same question (so, if you have already read them, just skip the following).
I started stitching (small projects) with a hoop but when I switched to bigger ones, I found the frames needed to hold them too heavy so I did buy a lap stand but, to be honest, give up quite rapidly as it's not so handy; especially if you like to sit on an armchair, often you don't have enough room between the arm and the frame side bar to move your hands comfortably.
So recently I bought a Millennium frame + stand.
I'll start with the weak point: it's definitely not on the cheap side. And that's all.
On the great points now: it will change your life as a stitcher!
I stitch sitting on a sofa, a quite low one, and the stand can be regulated to quite a large range of heights so you can really chose the one more comfortable to you. The frame keep your fabric nice, clean and really tight, without stitching, screwing or any other contraptions.
The material is high quality wood, which make it quite nice to look at. And you can fold the frame holder when you don't use it so that it need limited room to be stored.
On a so-so point: the company is a small family business and they don't hold huge stocks so it may take some time for you to get it, if they've run out and have to remake it (artisanally, by hand!).
They do have a website but I'm not sure I can give you the URL, as this could be considered advertisement. But if you google Millennium frame, you shouldn't have difficulties in finding it.
Hope this help.
Regards,
B.
Reply Support 0 Not support 1

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-12 20:21
| Show all posts

I don't use lap frames myself but one of my friends bought a lap frame that she loves! I think it was a really small company that did them and I couldn't find the exact same one online. But I did find a extremely similar one at a place called Cheryl's Stitchery Nook online. It's on the first page that pops up when you search for lap frames and that site comes up on Google. This frame don't swivel but it's really easy to just lift off and put on the floor if you have to get up. The swivel ones seems to be a bit more wobblier which I know that this doesn't do. Hope these pictures helps you make a decision!!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-13 15:33
| Show all posts

I think the millenium frame is one of the best out there. I balance my frame in my lap when I stitch so I can't recommend any particular stand, but I do really like the stand that they sell as well. The frame isn't clamped on the stand, but just resting on the support bars so you can lift it up to get to the back easily. Though my suggestion is that instead of flipping it you learn to start and finish your threads from the front - it is so much faster that way!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-15 13:34
| Show all posts

I recently found a Silver needle lap frame that takes 3 different sizes from 18" up to 24" and it's fantastic.  I found it on ebay in the UK.  It is very similar to this one
search for stitchdirect . com

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-17 16:50
| Show all posts

I am using no frame. Recently, I have tried two different ones, but one was too heavy however it was plastic. Stand is too complicated, because I am not able to sit at one position for longer time and there is no place for manipulation with it....
The best for me is to keep fabric in left hand and with right one I am stitching.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-19 22:22
| Show all posts

I agree with bduport the millennium frames are great! I embroider so I used to use slate frames - millennium frames are just as good but so much faster and easier to set up!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-20 03:12
| Show all posts

Love you stand!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-20 16:03
| Show all posts

I use sometimes frame or seldom but it can help to use both if you keep the fabric in clips

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-24 22:03
| Show all posts

I have many different but I do not like using them. Could anyone tell me the benifit of using a stretch frame?

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-5-3 03:01 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.051664 sec., 12 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list