Register
Author: Nursedonna54
Collapse the left

[Skill Help] Ending off threads in Cross Stitch

[Copy link]
Post time: 2013-4-15 13:36
| Show all posts
Edited by anniekins at 2020-8-10 16:03

I'll will have to have a look at that site as I'm always looking for better ways to improve my cross stitching.

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-16 01:42
| Show all posts
When I am starting a project, I hold the tail down in the back (in the direction in which other stitches of the same color will go). Then, when I put my needle back down into the fabric, I fasten that tail down with the loops created by pulling my needle back up to the front. If I already have other colors in place, I weave the tail under existing stitches. I have posted my own thread about how to handle projects when using two strands. This might be beneficial for you as well. http://www.pindiy.com/forum.php? ... d=134721&extra=

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-24 22:20
| Show all posts
Edited by anniekins at 2020-8-10 16:03

I usually weave under but I will definitely check out Mary Corbet site.
Thanks

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-5 11:00
| Show all posts

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-9 16:48
| Show all posts
Nursedonna54 replied at 2013-4-13 12:33
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience! Appreciate it!

It's not easy to turn your work over when you are working on a frame or a stand. I think start and finish from the front is the best.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-17 11:19
| Show all posts
I slip them under a few stitches, doing a small knot at the end under a stitch or two to make sure it sticks, lol.  But I'm self-taught, so not sure if you want to listen to me or not.  XD

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-19 20:39
| Show all posts
It really depends on the size of area just stitched.  Weaving is good if you have lots of stitches on the back of the work.  I tend to do a double knot first to secure the last stitch and then weave or not depending on the circumstances!!  I try not to leave long ends to threads as they tend to be visible through the linen if they are darker colours.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-21 06:02
| Show all posts
I often use a pin stitch, especially when doing pieces where there are few existing stitches to weave under/over.  I just learned about this stitch,  it's my very favorite, and I use it for both starting and ending threads because it's very neat and doesn't leave bulk on the back of the piece.  The Scarlet Quince website has lots of great hints and tricks - that's where I learned it, but other sites have great ideas too.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-26 15:49
| Show all posts
I weave excessively so they won't come loose.  

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-11 21:52
| Show all posts
I split the two strands and weave them around the poles at the back. They tend to not stand out as much as if done together and never a dark on light or other way round.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-25 18:31 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.049714 sec., 12 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list