Register
View: 701|Reply: 8
Collapse the left

[Skill Help] First Try with Tapestry Wool

[Copy link]
Post time: 2013-4-14 21:08
| Show all posts |Read mode
Hello All,

It is my first try of making a tapestry with wool. I always used stranded cotton in my previous projects but this time I wanted to make something different. I do it with only half stitches not crosses, and my fabric looses its rectangular shape with my every new stitch. Is this normal? or will be worse and worse and... :(

Any help?
Thanks!

Full view

Full view

My stitches

My stitches

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2013-4-14 21:15
| Show all posts
I think you need to put them on a wooden bar frames first before you begin to stitch it.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-15 04:07
| Show all posts
Hi Ailinora,
since you're stitching only "half crosses" (petite point), the stitches are going to "pull" your fabric all in the same direction, slanting it. This doesn't happen with cross stitch because one "bar" of the cross pulls in one direction and the other one pulls in the opposite direction, so the two "pulls" even each other.
You can avoid too much slanting (deformation) using a bar frame, as suggested by Hamsteren09. Be sure to block your project in shape after finishing and washing it and pay extra attention when framing it (it could be tricky and you surely want your finished project to be framed correctly, meaning centered and, well, straight!).
Looking forward to see the finished object! :)
Regards,
B.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-4-15 09:47
| Show all posts
Thank you @bduport and @Hamsteren09 !

I think I will nail it to the frame :)

I am halfway there and I hope to post a photo of finished "perfect rectangular" :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-4-24 03:49
| Show all posts
It is possible to male perfect rectangular after finish them  j am italian and my english is limitated Sorry

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-4-24 04:37
| Show all posts
Thank you @labolgetta :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-9-11 08:57
| Show all posts
I love this pattern. I would love to see it finished. I've worked with a frame and without one and I found no difference. Just a matter of stretching back into shape after you've finished. I'm trying to adapt some cross-stitch designs into needlepoint.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-9-14 16:19
| Show all posts
I love tapestry! There is something about working with these materials that I really like. The feel of the wool, the texture of the stitches, everything. About the distorting of the fabric, the best way to avoid this is to use the basketweave stitch (I am not allowed to post a link, you can google it. It takes some getting used to, but it really gives better coverage and keeps your fabric straight. Hope to have been of help and please keep us updated on your progress!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-2-10 05:47
| Show all posts
That’s awesome

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-28 00:23 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.061618 sec., 15 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list