Forgot password?
 Register
View: 1709|Reply: 17
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] Needle Changes/Extra Needles

[Copy link]
Post time: 2013-5-21 07:09
| Show all posts |Read mode
When, if ever, do you change to a new needle.  I currently am using a gold plated size 28 needle for my project.  The gold plating hasn't worn off yet and it got me thinking.  The package I have has three needles in it.  Now I am not one to use more than one needle at a time (I'd be jabbing my fingers all the time :funk:) so asside from losing this needle or the plating wearing off, I can't see myself needing those other two.  Do you change out needles after a certain time?  Do your needles bend? or do you change out for a new one when the plating wears off (assuming you are using a gold plated needle)?

Just curious how others use their spare needles or when they replace them (for those like me who are too clutzy to be able to hadle more than one needle at a time :P)
-Lesley

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2023-4-11 22:02
| Show all posts
I had some needles with gold coating, but it never wore off.
Once my needle bent, but even then I didn't change it, I even started a new project with it, so comfortable it was. In fact, I was using it untill I lost it somewhere... That is the main reason for changing needles in my case.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-3-15 04:05
| Show all posts
I had a needle eye break at least once. I lost a needle in the past, too. I replaced those obviously, and will replace again when the needle will start feeling sticky because of tarnish or something.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-3-19 14:00
| Show all posts
I've had eyes break, so that's generally when I'll change out my needles.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-9-4 00:54
| Show all posts
Following this thread

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-2-10 23:55
| Show all posts
Following this thread

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-9 00:00
| Show all posts
Thanks for the info!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-21 07:24
| Show all posts
yo cambio mi aguja cuando me cuesta pasarla por la tela, de tanto utilizarla se va pasando la aguja y no se desliza bien por la tela
espero haberte ayudado
saludos

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-21 08:37
| Show all posts
I generally don't use a new needle unless I loose it or something happens to it.  I don't use gold plated either.  I think the only exception is if I'm doing a piece that involves beading (ie need a beading needle) or if I'm using a lot of two colours but it's spread out enough I can't just do all of one than all of the other.  If that makes sense.  Than I'll leave one threaded by in a keeper and use another for the other colour.  Only other exception I can think of is if the pattern calls for blended colours, then I might keep two threaded just to keep it straight which blend is which.  ;P

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-21 08:51
| Show all posts
I jab my fingers too :) Sometimes when the weather is very dry, the pads of my fingers have fissure lines that fit exactly the point of the needle ! Wearing a thimble or a finger glove helps.

I use more than one needle when there are 2 or 3 colours in a small area.  I find stitching a few stitches and ending or leaving gaps quite tiresome, as well as having a matted back that makes it difficult to pull the thread through.  While working with 1 needle, the other is tagged with the floss number.

Yes, my needles do bend, especially number 28.  I think they bend from repeated slipping of ends under stitches.  And I have recently broken a #28 - the slimmest part at the eye.

Within one pack of #28 (the one i have is DMC), there could be slight variations.  Some can be a tad slimmer than the others.  The slimmest is kept for back stitching.

Hope this helps :)

Cheers,
p

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-22 02:12
| Show all posts
I use two or three at a time depending on whether filling in around the existing colours is important.   I also use a 28 needle and find they eventually break as the eye is so small.
I can use them for quite a while before the eye breaks so mine really last.   With the gold plated I find I wear off the finish very quickly and now only buy the regular needles.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-22 03:12
| Show all posts
I have like 6 packs of needles at all times.  Not because I use more than one but because I have a bad habit of losing needles.  Usually when I travel with my work.  Also, the number 28 do bend on me also, and I've had more than one break at the eye....  But I still prefer them more to any other.....

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-5-22 03:53
| Show all posts
I think I'd be too scared to travel with any of the pieces I'm working on.  I'd be too afraid of losing something. That would make me sad:'(

Comments

Ziplock bags are my friends.... I have the chart, floss, needles, everything in an extra large 2 gallon bag for large projects. Small ones will fit into a gallon bag, q snap and all. I have two la  Details Reply Post time 2013-5-22 04:53

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-22 04:53
| Show all posts

Ziplock bags are my friends....   I have the chart, floss, needles, everything in an extra large 2 gallon bag for large projects.  Small ones will fit into a gallon bag, q snap and all.  I have two lap frames and keep the 2nd base at my grandmother's house as I spend every other weekend with her....  I just have to grab my frame and go.....  

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-22 06:25
| Show all posts
I order my needles 50 at a time! Depending on the project I'm working on, I may have many needles on the go at once.  If there's lots of colors, I just can't be bothered threading and re-threading constantly!  I also don't use gold needles, because I just love the Bohin needles so much.  I occasionally throw out a needle, but like to have quite the collection available.  Bu that's just me.........

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-5-28 06:49
| Show all posts
When I sit down to stitch and I know I'm going to be doing alot of stitching in one sitting, I thread multiple needles (sometimes 6 or more if I'm doing a large block!) for each color I know I'm going to need and have at it.  I don't have to bother with re-threading while stitching.  (Sometimes the only time I get to stitch is during naptime, for my children, so just before I put them down I thread a bunch of needles so I can pump out as much as I can while they sleep.)

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-29 17:53 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.254470 sec., 16 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list