Hot search: Doll Doll M p cat doll
Author: magenta13
Collapse the left

[Accessories Show] Pin box re-look

[Copy link]
 Author| Post time: 2013-6-11 16:54
| Show all posts
porcini replied at 2013-6-11 08:51
What a nifty idea & niftier pin container !

What fabric is it ? What is the colour ?

Thank you porcini for the rating!

The linen used is Zweigart Cashel Raw Linen (53).

You can get this colour linen in higher thread counts too - like Belfast, Edinburgh etc depending on the finished size you're looking for.   Another natural colour I tend to use a lot is Flax (53).

Glad you liked the idea!!  Happy stitching!

Comments

Thanks Magenta for sharing. I have lots of leftovers measuring 18in x 10in or smaller, which is too small to do a design for framing. Love the colour, and will definitely get some. Is Cashel soft l  Details Reply Post time 2013-6-11 17:08

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-11 17:08
| Show all posts
magenta13 replied at 2013-6-11 16:54
Thank you porcini for the rating!

The linen used is Zweigart Cashel Raw Linen (53).

Thanks Magenta for sharing.  I have lots of leftovers measuring 18in x 10in or smaller, which is too small to do a design for framing.  Love the colour, and will definitely get some.

Is Cashel soft like belfast ? I love belfast, but would like to try other fabrics.

Thanks so much :)

Comments

Cashel is soft and more open weave than Belfast - Cashel is 11.2 threads per cm (28 count per inch) and Belfast is 12.6 per cm ( 32 count). I usually prefer the higher threadcounts like Belfast  Details Reply Post time 2013-6-11 18:05

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-6-11 18:05
| Show all posts
porcini replied at 2013-6-11 10:08
Thanks Magenta for sharing.  I have lots of leftovers measuring 18in x 10in or smaller, which is t ...

Cashel is soft and more open weave than Belfast - Cashel is 11.2  threads per cm (28 count per inch) and Belfast is 12.6 per cm ( 32 count).   

I usually prefer the higher threadcounts like Belfast or Edinburgh (14 threads per cm - 36 count) or Newcastle ( 16 threads per cm - 40 count) for stitching.

You have to be careful with your tension on Cashel, pulling too tight will create holes because the weave is much more open!!

Comments

Thank you magenta. Incidentally, I just posted a thread yesterday requesting for views of stithcers who have worked with 36ct edinbourgh or 40ct newcastle. Are these fabrics similar to belfast ? As  Details Reply Post time 2013-6-13 08:04

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-12 02:41
| Show all posts
What a brilliant idea!

Comments

Thank you very much pixy!  Details Reply Post time 2013-6-12 02:51

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-6-12 02:51
| Show all posts
pixy replied at 2013-6-11 19:41
What a brilliant idea!

Thank you very much pixy!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-12 05:08
| Show all posts
Very pretty thank you for showing

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-12 06:03
| Show all posts
That's absolutely lovely!  Very nice work. :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-13 08:04
| Show all posts
magenta13 replied at 2013-6-11 18:05
Cashel is soft and more open weave than Belfast - Cashel is 11.2  threads per cm (28 count per inc ...

Thank you magenta.  Incidentally, I just posted a thread yesterday requesting for views of stithcers who have worked with 36ct edinbourgh or 40ct newcastle.  Are these fabrics similar to belfast ? As in soft like belfast, and with similar weave eveness ?

I am thinking about using 1 strand of floss on the 36 ct / 40 ct, but worry about coverage.  the design is a bunch of flowers.  Your views ?

Thank you.

Comments

Hi Porcini I've usually only worked with Zweigart linens and I can thoroughly recommend them for feel and ease of use. I have pieces of linen by other manufacturers and they feel rougher and stiffer  Details Reply Post time 2013-6-13 14:55

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-6-13 14:55
| Show all posts
porcini replied at 2013-6-13 01:04
Thank you magenta.  Incidentally, I just posted a thread yesterday requesting for views of stithce ...

Hi Porcini

I've usually only worked with Zweigart linens and I can thoroughly recommend them for feel and ease of use.  I have pieces of linen by other manufacturers and they feel rougher and stiffer by comparison.  Linens are never even, you will get thicker or thinner threads in the weave, and the occasional slub or thicker thread, but what amazes me is that the stitching always looks even anyway!  I am drawn to linen because of the natural look.

I've just finished a small piece on 40 count using one strand over one thread and only using petit point (half cross stitch) and the coverage is very good.  I find one strand over two gives good coverage, two over two is difficult to work and distorts the fabric.  I use a smaller needle too.

On 36 count two strands over two covers very well but on occasion I have used one strand when using rice stitch and the coverage is fine and has a lighter effect.

Perhaps you should try stitching on a small area first at the margin of your piece of linen to see what pleases you most.  

A lot depends on the colour of the linen too when making your choice.

Hope that helps!!

Comments

Thank you so much, Magenta :) You have certainly been very helpful. I like Zweigart too. I feel better now ordering these fabrics. Cheers, p  Post time 2013-6-13 17:52

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-13 22:37
| Show all posts
So Lovely... I must do it too... Congratulations...

Comments

Thank you Turquoise! Happy stitching  Details Reply Post time 2013-6-13 22:50

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-3-28 21:39 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.253310 sec., 26 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list