Forgot password?
 Register
View: 1050|Reply: 10
Collapse the left

[Skill Help] Help ! Beading needles

[Copy link]
Post time: 2013-6-10 09:32
| Show all posts |Read mode
I recently bought a pack of John James long beading needles # 15.  They are long, thin, and flexible.  But the eye is so TINY ! So tiny that I have not been able to thread it with 1 strand of DMC floss.

The eye looks so tiny that I don't think a threader can pass.

Is there a special way to thread these needles ?

What needle number would fit Mill Hill petite beads ?

What is an easier beading needle for a beading beginner ? Beginner = no beading experience :)

Thank you :)

Rate

Number of participants 2Gold Coins +12 Collapse Reason
bluebird + 8 Thank you very much!
CraftyChic + 4 The best!

View Rating Log

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2013-6-10 13:35
| Show all posts
I like the beading needles and yes they are really difficult to thread.

You can use a 28 size cross stitch needle, but some beads won't pass over, but most mill hill beads will.   I just separate the ones out that need a finer needle, or throw them back in the container when I'm done.   A fine sewing needle will also do, just be careful not to splice the fabric threads.

Comments

Thanks for tips, I never thought to try the # 28 needle, will do that. Cheers, p  Details Reply Post time 2013-6-10 14:29
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-6-10 14:29
| Show all posts

Thanks for tips, I never thought to try the # 28 needle, will do that.  

Cheers,
p

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-10 22:31
| Show all posts
I have also found that the 28 cross stitch needles work quite well for beading.  I used to use a sewing needle, but now prefer the size 26 needle.  Works for me!

Comments

Thanks Kath, will certainly try the # 28.  Post time 2013-6-11 07:43

Use magic Report

Post time: 2014-3-22 05:58
| Show all posts
I've never used cross stitch needles but I'm sure that either 28 or 26 cross stitch needles would work just fine.  I'm sure that's what Mill Hill gives in their kits.

For the majority of my beadwork (and I do tons) I use Sizes 10, 12 or 13 long needles.  Size 10 doesn't work well with the petite beads, so my standard is 12 or 13 depending how much "bend" I want my needles to have for the project I'm working on.

Comments

Thanks, size 12 sounds reasonable. John James # 15 is so tiny. #28 is too broad at the hole, so some beads don't pass through.  Post time 2014-3-25 08:19

Use magic Report

Post time: 2014-3-25 07:17
| Show all posts
You can buy shorter beading needles. To get the thread thru the eye, fold the thread around the shaft at the needle eye after wetting it a little, and it will go thru easier. It will still be difficult, but it is possible. After folding the thread, pinch it tightly when pushing it thru the eye and it will go easier. I've even wet the thread and smoothed it to a point to push thru the eye. Either way works fine, but as I said, it will take some patience and perseverance.

Comments

Thanks xmyheart. I finally got a needle threader. But will give folding a try-makes sense as it does not fray.  Post time 2014-3-25 08:21

Use magic Report

Post time: 2014-3-27 09:38
| Show all posts
I also use size 28 needles for beading.  Works with my delicas very well.  I also use the "petities" needles.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2014-4-8 19:34
| Show all posts
Helló!
Big Hole gyöngyfűzőtű

Full lengthen fold gyöngyfűzőtű big hole.

In fact, two large steel strands welded top and bottom, so any thread can easily be made. Horgolásnál also a big help. 11/0 size beads to use.

Such a needle to buy both ends pointed.

big_eye.jpg

Comments

Thanks, this looks interesting, will check it out :)  Post time 2014-4-9 08:00

Use magic Report

Post time: 2014-4-21 05:35
| Show all posts
Thanks for sharing!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-2-10 06:00
| Show all posts
Following this thread

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-28 07:34 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.064129 sec., 13 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list