Forgot password?
 Register
View: 887|Reply: 10
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] Tips for Split Threads

[Copy link]
Post time: 2013-6-11 00:07
| Show all posts |Read mode
Any tricks or tips for split threads when backstitching?  Using a blunt needle, but still the split threads drive me nuts.:Q

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2013-6-11 09:20
| Show all posts
Are you getting split threads when you push your needle up from the bottom to top? or are they splitting when you go from top to bottom? I always try to push my needle up in a hole that doesn't have a backstitch in it already, and push down into the hole that has the stitch so that you can see where the needle is going. Also, sometimes if I'm having a really hard time, I take a slightly bigger needle and wriggle it into the hole to make a 'gap' for the needle I am using to go through more easily, since the bigger the needle, the blunter it is. On the other hand, you could try using a super super sharp needle and use it to nudge the bits of thread aside to push it in the right place - it is hard to do that with a blunt needle.

I would say the best thing is to experiment a bit with needles both bigger and smaller to see which gives you the best results. It's a bit like goldilocks and the porridge that is too hot and too cold.

Comments

After trying different sizes, it seems that my thread is often split before I even push through the fabric. I think I'm going to try a little thread conditioner to see if that helps. Do you conditio  Details Reply Post time 2013-6-16 16:15
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-6-11 19:52
| Show all posts
I'm not sure when the splitting is occurring.  I am looking back after stitching and seeing that I have split threads.  I am using a thick blunt needle b/c I seem to stitch faster w/ bigger blunt ones, but I can try a smaller one  to see if it helps prevent my threads from splitting.  Thanks for the advice.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-6-16 16:15
| Show all posts

After trying different sizes, it seems that my thread is often split before I even push through the fabric.  I think I'm going to try a little thread conditioner to see if that helps.  Do you condition your threads?

Comments

It sounds like maybe your thread is getting untwisted as you stitch. Try keeping an eye on it and if the twist starts getting loose, turn the needle a couple of times to twist it back up again.  Details Reply Post time 2013-6-16 18:39

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-16 18:39
| Show all posts
mns5bsl replied at 2013-6-16 16:15
After trying different sizes, it seems that my thread is often split before I even push through th ...

It sounds like maybe your thread is getting untwisted as you stitch. Try keeping an eye on it and if the twist starts getting loose, turn the needle a couple of times to twist it back up again.

Comments

Thanks!! That was a simple, quick-fix that did the trick. When I noticed the thread was split, I undid the last backstitch and twisted it back up. I was skeptical about using thread conditioner bec  Details Reply Post time 2013-6-18 06:46

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +2 Collapse Reason
mns5bsl + 2 Thank you very much!

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-6-18 06:46
| Show all posts
tcca replied at 2013-6-16 18:39
It sounds like maybe your thread is getting untwisted as you stitch. Try keeping an eye on it and  ...

Thanks!!  That was a simple, quick-fix that did the trick.  When I noticed the thread was split, I undid the last backstitch and twisted it back up.  I was skeptical about using thread conditioner because I'm not sure if it's greasy or leaves any residuals, but now there is no need.  Thanks again!:loveliness:

Comments

Awesome, so glad it worked!  Details Reply Post time 2013-6-19 10:56

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-19 10:56
| Show all posts
mns5bsl replied at 2013-6-18 06:46
Thanks!!  That was a simple, quick-fix that did the trick.  When I noticed the thread was split, I ...

Awesome, so glad it worked!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-20 09:32
| Show all posts
Thanks for the points :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-20 09:35
| Show all posts
Oh.. and about the thread conditioner - I have some thread heaven, but I don't really use it for DMC floss. I find that it's not really needed. When I start working with silks or metallics or krenik braid type stuff I'll give it a try. One other tip is to not cut your floss too long. The longer the floss the more times it will go in and out of the holes, and towards the end, it might start looking pretty ratty - that's probably part of why your floss started getting untwisted. I work on very fine count cross stitch (28 count and higher) so I cut my floss to a max of 12 inches. If you work on a smaller count, 14 or 11 for example, maybe it would be ok to cut longer, but still not too long or the floss starts to wear out and isn't as shiney any more.

Comments

Exellent and detailed tips. Thanks!  Details Reply Post time 2013-6-29 23:05

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +1 Collapse Reason
Jazzi + 1 I wish I could give more

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-29 23:05
| Show all posts
tcca replied at 2013-6-19 19:35
Oh.. and about the thread conditioner - I have some thread heaven, but I don't really use it for DMC ...

Exellent and detailed tips. Thanks!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-5-5 14:07 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.108055 sec., 22 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list