Search
Hot search: Russian Crochet
View: 17439|Reply: 130
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] Gridding Cross Stitch Fabric

[Copy link]
Post time: 2009-5-26 01:36
| Show all posts |Read mode
When stitching a large Cross Stitch project, one of the biggest frustrations is caused by making mistakes in placing stitches. One part of the design will end up being one space off. A row missed here will cause another part of the design to be askew.

To help avoid misplaced stitches, many stitchers baste a grid on the fabric that matches the 10x10 grid used for most Cross Stitch patterns.

Tips for successful gridding: Use a light-colored floss that will not leave fuzz or mar the fabric to create the grid. Many stitchers use quilting thread or silk floss.

Make the grid as elaborate or as simple as you need. Mark the corners or add more definition to the 10x10 box. You may even choose to grid your design in 5x5 boxes.

Match the grid on your fabric to the grid on the pattern.

(Some stitchers use a water soluble pen to mark the grid on fabric. Be very careful if you use this method. The pen may not all wash out. It may also fade over time if you are stitching a larger project.)

When removing gridding floss, use sharp scissors to snip away any strands of the grid which may have been pierced as you stitched.

Rate

Number of participants 4Gold Coins +11 Collapse Reason
rice + 1 Thank you very much!
malu47 + 3 Thank you very much!
Blackhat + 2 Usefull
liz0222 + 5 thanks for your tips!

View Rating Log

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Related collections:

Post time: 2009-6-18 17:14
| Show all posts
Small trick to wash out all the grid when using a soluble pen is using water + vinegar .All the grid will be gone even if it has been drawn for 4 months.My sister,my mom and me realize that soluble pen is very useful.It can help us to shorten the time in order to stitch a new one. :lol

Comments

thank you very much for this info  Details Reply Post time 2012-10-3 13:00
Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-10-23 01:51
| Show all posts

I just bought some of these too after reading the posts.  I think I'm in love!  I always wash my cross stitch and was concerned about washing the pen marks before ironing.  I wasn't sure they would come out if they got wet first.  However, they got lighter in the wash and then came out completely with the iron.  This is brilliant!!!  Try it out on a scrap of fabric and see what you think!

Comments

Yep, 10 months later and I still think these are the best new thing I've learned all year!  Post time 2016-11-13 02:02
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-10-19 07:57
| Show all posts
Gridding has saved my sanity.  I usually do 30x30 stitch squares, so gridding goes more quickly and i don't have to take out too much if I miss.  I use quilting thread because it doesn't stretch the fabric holes

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-3-19 13:59
| Show all posts
tricialynn

Login/Register to enlarge
2016-2-3 16:24

I've been stitching 31 years and have never gridded a project. I've never needed to. I just use the  ...

Yeah I don't bother with gridding. It's way less time to count it multiple times lol :D

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-3-18 04:04
| Show all posts
I use very fine "monofilament" thread that is marketed towards people who make bead bracelets and such. I mark every 10th line vertically and horizontally like that, and it helps a lot.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-4-11 08:31
| Show all posts
i have recently started gridding and i love it, i use a black rayon thread that I get at fabric store, comes in black it is kinda like fishing line but finer. works great, is cheap and works so good

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-2-3 16:24
| Show all posts
I've been stitching 31 years and have never gridded a project. I've never needed to. I just use the stitch count and add two inches of blank area around the whole design for framing purposes.

Comments

I couldn't be bothered to grid, what a waste of stitching time.  Post time 2019-8-30 03:22

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-7-12 22:28
| Show all posts
Nice! I hadn't heard much about using other forms of thread besides cross stitch thread, but I'm sure a different texture would help you pull it out at the end.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-1-23 01:34
| Show all posts
OMG! I just got my Frixion pens after reading these posts, and have gridded a work in progress, and already it is easier to handle. THANK YOU ALL so very much.

Comments

Recently bought the pens although in 34 have never grid my fabric, Tested them & the pens work great. Got white refills for dark aida. Have cataracts now so I may need to use them one day soon  Post time 2019-9-1 07:33
I just bought some of these too after reading the posts. I think I'm in love! I always wash my cross stitch and was concerned about washing the pen marks before ironing. I wasn't sure they would co  Details Reply Post time 2016-10-23 01:51

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-10-1 08:50
| Show all posts
Will definitely try the fishing line.
I find gridding is definitely the most tedious part of the process for me

Use magic Report

Post time: 2009-5-26 09:38
| Show all posts
When starting a new work, one has to prepare too many pre-works, such as drawing grids.

Comments

I use Sulky Sliver too, either a Guttermans or there is a company called Sulky. You need the Sliver thread though, not just the Sulky Metallics.  Post time 2015-2-21 03:57
I have just started using sulky thread by Gutterman and it's brilliant, you can't stitch it into your work and it just pulls out and you can re use it.  Details Reply Post time 2013-4-15 13:30

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2009-5-26 18:53
| Show all posts
When you draw the grids using water soluble pen, sometimes the colour may not all wash out or disappear after some times (read: years). When you grid with threads, then it stay as long as you want and when you pull out the treads, it won't leave stain, but of course don't use black (or other dark colour) thread on white fabric. It's a lot of work and counting mistake can happen as well. :(

Comments

as you say dark colors can stain the fabric, but sometimes, and I mention that I passed the milestone of framing if not good fences also leave, thank you anyway  Details Reply Post time 2012-10-13 04:34

Use magic Report

Post time: 2009-5-26 20:51
| Show all posts
yes, I often count 9 grids instead of 10 grids.:(

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2009-5-27 05:25
| Show all posts
I grid this fabric using metallic threads.
117_1755.JPG

Comments

Me too. I figure if there's a bit left over that I've missed, it will just blend in and won't be noticed, or it will stand out a mile and I'll be able to spot it and take it out!  Post time 2015-2-21 03:59

Use magic Report

Post time: 2009-6-18 00:22
| Show all posts
I grid only when I am working very large projects like HAED

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2009-6-18 01:48
| Show all posts
yes, me too. Although at this moment I just grid and haven't found the courage to start ;P

Use magic Report

Post time: 2009-6-18 08:56
| Show all posts
I never draw grid on the fabric, coz I never wash my finished crafts....:P

Comments

Nor me. I never grid full stop - I just work small areas and never jump across huge gaps.  Details Reply Post time 2012-4-1 14:18

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2009-6-18 14:27
| Show all posts
Me too. I also never wash my finished craft and although they said that the exposure to air can vanish the line as well.. somehow I just still able to see the lines (more psychological problem I think :D)

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-20 10:44 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.129682 sec., 33 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list