Search
Hot search: Doll Doll M p cat doll
View: 4231|Reply: 57
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] ANCHOR OR DMC FLOSS?

[Copy link]
Post time: 2013-6-26 16:23
| Show all posts |Read mode
Having cross-stitched off and on for years I have always used DMC and occasionally beeds and Kreinik. Yesterday I received my first orders with Over-dyed threads and Anchor Floss. I have to admit that the Anchor floss is really quite beautiful:D The reason that I purchased it was that I have a few patterns that call for that and show that there is no DMC substitute.

My local "big box" craft stores like Joann's and Michael's don't carry it and I'm able to buy many of the DMC colors for less at my local Walmart. However now that I am taking my stitching seriously so to speak, I am experimenting with higher count linens and now overdyed :o I have to admit, its kind of exciting.

What do you prefer DMC or Anchor for a basic design that offers both? Why do you prefer that brand?

I'm just curious what other's think, with hubby not really interested I'm interested to find out what other stitchers think.

Thanks so much!

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2022-6-29 17:46
| Show all posts
Edited by cxex at 2022-6-29 19:47

I have a full set of DMC, and some of anchor.. DMC is just the most widely available and best price for the quality. Anchor is also excellent.

Personally I don't prefer either of them... I use whatever the pattern suggests. Even with a conversion table, the pattern can change dramatically because many colors don't have an equivalent for conversion, so they just match to the "nearest" color.
also, as a side note, with CXC (knock off that uses DMC numbering)... it tangles, the color runs because the dye is not set or washed properly, and it's quite rough in texture as well. I would advise to avoid it unless you can't get another floss type where you live.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-6-29 04:44
| Show all posts
Sadly, DMC seems to have a monopoly on stranded cotton/floss. I understand that the large colour selection is appealing to designers. However, I have found that Anchor thread is just nicer to work with and doesn't' tangle or knot the way DMC thread does. It also seems to lay nicer for me. Wish it was more widely used and available.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-11-2 12:30
| Show all posts
I always use DMC because I find that it lays better and frays less than Anchor. I think some of it depends on where you live (re the cost) and the size of the project you're doing. Some of it is also just personal preference, so if one just works better for you, I'd say to just stick with it.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-11-3 11:30
| Show all posts
I used to always use Anchor for 310 because it covered better. I use mostly DMC but I am replacing my DMC with CXC as the are used up. The price is better and the quality is as good if not better.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-9-20 21:31
| Show all posts
I find Anchor a little floccose, and I have two kits with baby's.
I bought them because the remembered me at my childhood, but when I order the kits I didn't know that the thread was Anchor.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-6-12 19:43
| Show all posts
I always use DMC but am about to try Vadlani and Weeks Dye have used Vikki Claytons hand dyed fibres (liked them a lot) but now use The silk mill floss when I want to upgrade from dmc. :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-5-1 09:28
| Show all posts
I prefer DMC threads but my Joann just started carring Anchor threads, so I think it is going to be widely available soon. Plus most the the cross stitch patern has DMC converson.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-4-28 16:23
| Show all posts
I agree with everyone else and prefer DMC thread. It is widely available, doesn't bleed, reasonably priced, and large color palette.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-1-18 13:53
| Show all posts
DMC here...mainly because it's easier to get. But a lot of the overdyed floss is sooo lovely. Shame it's just so expensive.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-2-7 00:15
| Show all posts
I always use DMC, honestly because it is easily available.  I also am curious what others think

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-26 18:06
| Show all posts
I'm a DMC person.  I haven't tried anchor though, but DMC is pretty universal.  I'm having a flip fit right now because my full set has dwindled considerably and I need to build it back up!  I've used WDW and I'm not overly impressed with it, and frankly, from now on will just use the DMC conversion.  I did just order some threadworx for a project, but I don't know when I will get that started :)  

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-6-26 18:40
| Show all posts
A project kit that came yesterday came with the DMC perle? That feels nice, however it turns out the kit was the 3rd part of 3 (didn't know that when I bought it); have since gotten the two other patterns here but now I need to buy more DMC perle and of course I need fabric.... the list goes on.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-27 02:18
| Show all posts
I use DMC because we cannot buy Anchor locally. I have an entire Margaret Sherry book I bought a few years back and it's nothing but Anchor. I have been buying floss in little bits offline for the ones I plan to do in the near future, as I tried to convert, and several didn't have a DMC equal. Luckily, most MS charts now have Anchor and DMC floss listed. I've never used dyed threads, but I bet they are great. Supplies can be just too expensive.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-27 02:52
| Show all posts
Yep, I spent a butt load getting WDW for 6 Fat Men and some other project and I end up really not liking it.  The biggest thing some of them have going for them is the variegation.  But DMC had an ok line of that too.  Can you imagining doing up something like Japanese Garden Mandala in all the called for threads of silk?

Comments

Really? I just purchased my first WDW and Crescent Colours for a few small projects. Good to know, I will definitely be using it on the smaller projects to get a feel for it. I WAS going to buy a bunc  Details Reply Post time 2013-6-29 22:54
Big time $$$ all in silk  Details Reply Post time 2013-6-29 22:47

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-27 06:39
| Show all posts
Many years ago the only floss brand available to me was JP Coats, and they do sell Anchor/JP Coats in our local Wal-Mart.  I didn't like them as I found they would knot together one end to another in the process of winding the thread at the factory and many times it was only 4 inches of floss between knots.   Was disappointing, but that's going back 30 or so years ago, I'm sure their quality control is better now.   I did buy some Anchor through Herrschners about a year ago and they also sell DMC floss, plus unknown brands.   So both are available to us in NA.
I like silk, have used over dyed floss and found silk can snag very easily whereas cotton doesn't seem to.   Vikki Clayton has some lovely silk floss, which I have used, mind you her prices have jumped a lot in the last couple of years.   She's in the US and provides colours for a lot of charts out there.  I've never used WDW as I have found them to be very pricey!
My local Michaels have most of the DMC colours I need and for good prices so I usually shop there and not wait on Herrschners........ their shipping is not cheap, so if I have the cash I do a big shop so the shipping is worth the cost.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-6-28 12:48
| Show all posts
I only recently started cross stitching (about a couple of months only really) and have only tried out DMC since it was the one recommended by my best friend, who is a long time avid stitcher... If Anchor was more readily available, I would probably try it, but it seems quite a nuisance since all the patterns I've purchased all seem to use DMC colour numbers and it would be a hassle to find a place that sells anchor thread and have to convert all the colours... And DMC is cheap  at Michaels...

Comments

I bought a few Anchor as there was no DMC match for those colors on the pattern.  Details Reply Post time 2013-6-29 22:51

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-6-29 22:47
| Show all posts
forevershanda replied at 2013-6-26 12:52
Yep, I spent a butt load getting WDW for 6 Fat Men and some other project and I end up really not li ...

Big time $$$ all in silk :o

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-6-29 22:51
| Show all posts
Yenilaia replied at 2013-6-27 22:48
I only recently started cross stitching (about a couple of months only really) and have only tried o ...

I bought a few Anchor as there was no DMC match for those colors on the pattern.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-6-29 22:54
| Show all posts
forevershanda replied at 2013-6-26 12:52
Yep, I spent a butt load getting WDW for 6 Fat Men and some other project and I end up really not li ...

Really? I just purchased my first WDW and Crescent Colours for a few small projects. Good to know, I will definitely be using it on the smaller projects to get a feel for it. I WAS going to buy a bunch of over-dyed this weekend. I think I will try a few of the smaller projects instead to get a "feel for it first. Thanks for the tip!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-3-29 17:03 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.072858 sec., 16 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list