Forgot password?
 Register
View: 1746|Reply: 20
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] How to finish a bookmark

[Copy link]
Post time: 2013-8-15 22:20
| Show all posts |Read mode
Hi everyone, I'm currently doing my first cross stitch project and I'm not quite sure how to finish it. It's a bookmark done on aida (14 ct) and I'm worried about the fraying of the corners and about the thread being ruined with the use. I was thinking of sewing a piece of cloth to the back that goes over the edges (so I don't worry about fraying and also cover up the back while I'm on it) and for the fron I thought about using one of those sprays that protect fabric from stains, wear, etc.

But I'd love to hear what you do with your bookmarks and any tips you might have for me since I'm just a newbie :loveliness:

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2022-2-10 05:51
| Show all posts
Following this thread
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-8-15 23:46
| Show all posts

How to finish a bookmark

I always use iron on  interfacing found in sewing shops for the back of the work to keep it secure.   Then attach sticky felt in a matching colour.

Comments

This sounds like a good idea, I'll have to try it sometime. Do you do anything with the front? I'm worried about the thread fraying from the friction of the book  Details Reply Post time 2013-8-16 10:01

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-8-16 10:01
| Show all posts

How to finish a bookmark

This sounds like a good idea, I'll have to try it sometime. Do you do anything with the front? I'm worried about the thread fraying from the friction of the book

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-8-16 10:22
| Show all posts

How to finish a bookmark

I made a front and back for mine and then joined them together. I found a good tutorial at better-cross-stitch-patterns.com. There's a tutorial for join sides. I thought the technique worked well, I also used it for an ornament. I haven't actually used my bookmark,  so I don't know if the stitches would fray, but it probably wouldn't hurt to spray it with a fabric protector.

Comments

Did you use the easy or the proper way?)) `Cause all this folding, seems to me, would look horrible with Aida... No?..  Details Reply Post time 2014-3-16 02:19

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-9-25 19:17
| Show all posts

How to finish a bookmark

oh yes - I use interfacing on all of my projects just to give them some substance on the back, it prevents fraying and also helps stiffen it for framing too x

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-9-29 02:41
| Show all posts

How to finish a bookmark

Don't worry about it fraying or wearing.  It will hold up very well as a bookmark.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-9-29 22:59
| Show all posts

How to finish a bookmark

I go for the interfacing and felt as well but, if you are concerned, you could use some fray stop as well.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-11-6 20:20
| Show all posts

How to finish a bookmark

Great tips everyone. Thank you!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-11-8 09:29
| Show all posts

How to finish a bookmark

What you can do if you want to stop it from fraying is sew it a 1/4 of an inch away from the edges using similar color to the fabric, or different if you want to have it pop out a bit, and that should stop the fraying. Then you can choose something hard to stiffen it.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2014-3-16 02:19
| Show all posts

Login/Register to enlarge
waterlillie

Login/Register to enlarge
2013-8-16 10:22

I made a front and back for mine and then joined them together. I found a good tutorial at better-cr ...

Did you use the easy or the proper way?)) `Cause all this folding, seems to me, would look horrible with Aida... No?..

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-28 19:17 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.064568 sec., 18 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list