| | |

PinDIY.com

Forgot password?
 Register
Search
Hot search: hat cross stitch Xsd hae xsd Hae
View: 2499|Reply: 29
Collapse the left

[Skill Help] How many strands do I have to use for backstitching?

[Copy link]
Post time: 2013-9-23 15:28
| Show all posts |Read mode
I haven't done back stitching before. The pattern asked for 2 strands on full cross stitch and half stitch and 1 strand for backstitch but I used 3 strands on cross stitching as well as on half stitching. Do I have to make the backstitches 2 strands or 1 strand is okay?

Your reply is highly appreciated.

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2016-2-17 14:18
| Show all posts
I think all stitching is different from person to person. I test out 1-2 strands for back stitch and see which I like better. It might look better on some patterns and not so good on others
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-10-1 23:09
| Show all posts
Все зависит от схемы и задумки автора. Так же от основы и качества нитей.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2016-2-11 16:03
| Show all posts
Thank you all for the reply. really appreciated it. ^_^
Happy Stitching!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-9-23 06:27
| Show all posts
It depends on the patterns. It should tell you how many strands to use

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-10-1 09:11
| Show all posts
Depend on preference, I would try 1 strand, but if its too faint, use 2.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-2-11 01:58
| Show all posts
Following this thread

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-9-23 15:55
| Show all posts
I always just use one strand - I think it is neater and quite sufficient for outlines etc - it makes such a difference to defining your design.

Have fun!

Comments

Oh, okay.. Thank you. Do you always use one strand for backstitches even if you use 3 strands for crossstitching? Yeah, I am really having fun with this project. I am currently stitching Autumn Lane  Details Reply Post time 2013-9-26 10:48

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-9-23 16:04
| Show all posts
I think it's usually 1 strand though I have seen patterns asking for 2 but those patterns are stitch on 11ct or lower.

Comments

I am using 14ct aida cloth. So, I can use 2 strands, right? Thank you so much for the tip. It is of much help. I am a novice on cross stitching and I am enjoying it so far. ^_^  Details Reply Post time 2013-9-23 16:40

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-9-23 16:40
| Show all posts

I am using 14ct aida cloth. So, I can use 2 strands, right?

Thank you so much for the tip. It is of much help. I am a novice on cross stitching and I am enjoying it so far. ^_^

Comments

14ct fabric, you should use just 1 strand.  Post time 2013-9-23 18:53

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-9-23 16:48
| Show all posts
It depends on how strong you want your back stitching to look.  
You could stitch an area with one strand and an area with two strands and see which you prefer.  After all you can alway unpick it if it is not to your liking.
In the end it is your preference and how you want your finished project to look.

Comments

Thank you. I will take note of your tip.  Details Reply Post time 2013-9-26 10:35

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-9-23 20:05
| Show all posts
I have used both one or two strands I go by the amount of the thickness of what I am stitching and what I am stitching in.  Example right now I am backstitching in lighteffects.  So it all depends what I am doing.  Backstitch does define the work and make it neater.  If you used three strands to do your stitching try backstitching a few stitches in 1 strand and see what happens if you do not like it use two strands :)

Comments

Thank you. Your tip is of great help.  Details Reply Post time 2013-9-26 10:37

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-9-24 05:57
| Show all posts
As you can see, it all comes down to preference. When I use 3 strands to cross stitch, I use 2 for backstitching. Since the stitches tend to look a bit fuller from the 3 strands for the cross stitch, I like the look of a bit thicker backstitching.

Using a laying tool is helpful especially when using more than one strand for back stitches. It will help the strands stay down nicely and look more uniform.

Comments

Thank you for the tip. I might use 2 strands for the backstitch. I like it also if my project looks fuller. Have a nice day! ^_^  Details Reply Post time 2013-9-26 10:42
Thank you for the tip. I might use 2 strands for the backstitch. I like it also if my project looks fuller. Have a nice day! ^_^  Details Reply Post time 2013-9-26 10:41

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-9-26 10:35
| Show all posts
langstep replied at 2013-9-23 16:48
It depends on how strong you want your back stitching to look.  
You could stitch an area with one s ...

Thank you. I will take note of your tip. :D

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-9-26 10:37
| Show all posts
medillon61 replied at 2013-9-23 20:05
I have used both one or two strands I go by the amount of the thickness of what I am stitching and w ...

Thank you. Your tip is of great help. :D

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-9-26 10:41
| Show all posts
Jazzi replied at 2013-9-24 05:57
As you can see, it all comes down to preference. When I use 3 strands to cross stitch, I use 2 for b ...

Thank you for the tip. I might use 2 strands for the backstitch. I like it also if my project looks fuller.

Have a nice day! ^_^

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-18 14:35 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.147789 sec., 25 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list