Register
View: 1391|Reply: 15
Collapse the left

[Skill Help] Big Framing Issue

[Copy link]
Post time: 2013-9-23 19:10
| Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by anniekins at 2015-2-4 23:43

Okay my lovely ladies I am in desperate need of your help! I finally finished my first ever cross stitch pattern and I am so very excited. It is a gift for someone very dear to me.

My problem is I went to Jo-Ann's to speak with them about framing my design. .the mat layout and frame we chose was absolutely perfect! Breathtaking! .....but it was $365!!! :funk:   They have a great sale going on right now until the 28th for 65% off which brought the price down to $180! But that is still much too far out of my price range. The piece itself is quite large though measuring out at approximately 11" x 20".

The associate was greatly helpful and understanding though (I LOVE Jo-Ann's!), she took out the glass and their labor which brought the price down to $80 but this is still much higher than I was anticipating, then I would also still have to buy the glass and I'd imagine that's not going to be cheap either.

Is this actually my best bet in framing this piece or are there any alternative routes I can take to purchase these materials separately and frame this myself? I am desperate!

Thank you so much in advance you your advice and suggestions!
Amanda :loveliness:

**UPDATE**
So I went to Michael's price shopping and found everything I'll need to frame my work for about $70! This is definitely doable! Thank you all for your comments, suggestions and advice! Because of you guys my stress levels have declined ;P and I am happy to say I will FINALLY be able to frame my very first and very last cross stitch pattern LOL! I appreciate it very much! XOXO :kiss:

Rate

Number of participants 2Gold Coins +9 Collapse Reason
CraftyChic + 4 The best!
lovestitches + 5 Powerfull!

View Rating Log

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2022-2-10 06:11
| Show all posts
Thank you so much for sharing
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-8 06:09
| Show all posts
Thanks for the info!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-9-23 19:45
| Show all posts
I read that some ladies here do the framing job themselves. If you want to give a lot of cross stitch gifts, you may want to look into that option.

I once lived in Singapore and the cost for framing there was incredibly high. I promised someone a piece and when I was done, the cost of framing it was so high (I still had to pay for it), I never promised anyone another piece till I left Singapore.

Comments

Yea this was my very first and now definitely my very last...just too expensive and too much work for me lol  Post time 2013-9-23 20:46

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-9-23 20:35
| Show all posts
Frame it yourself --- I wish you were closer -- I always frame my own work -- did you get something to back the piece you made on?  You need cardboard or foam something to make the piece you did stiff and then you can either tape it or stitch it.   Make sure whatever you use is ACID FREE so over time nothing will ruin.  Rule of thumb I use is if it can be used in Scrapbooking its safe for anything that will last the test of time.  I am not sure about Jo-Ann's Fabrics but I know Michael's and AC Moore have their own matts and frames.  Take the piece you made with you to be sure you have the right fit especially for the matt.  Then pick out a frame and match it all up til you get what you want and don't forget to print up coupons!  Anywhere you go to have the piece framed is going to cost you.  I had my daughter charcoal portrait professionally framed with velvet matts and a hand made frame and it cost me more for the framing then it did for the portrait to be made!  Good Luck!  :)

Comments

The only reason I looked into the custom framing is that I haven't been able to find a frame with the right dimensions to do it myself...not even online. I have no problem doing it I actually prefer i  Details Reply Post time 2013-9-23 20:46

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +2 Collapse Reason
Reptilegirl27 + 2 Very usefull

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-9-23 20:38
| Show all posts
As for the glass, Mom managed to put her recliner threw my china closet and for I guess an 8x10 piece of glass the price was $12.  So the glass is not too bad but its a pain to have to run from place to place to get what you need.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-9-23 20:41
| Show all posts
Also remember you can get some beautiful frames in like Walmart, Target, KMart that are cheap that have pictures in them... but you can always disassemble them and use just the frame.  Some people have recommended EBay for frames but I have found the prices much higher than what I can do at my local stores.

Comments

Yea that was my first attempt and was sad to find not one frame even remotely close to the sizes I need. Great to know about the glass though so thank you again! Hoping Michael's has what I need :)  Post time 2013-9-23 21:45

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-9-23 20:46
| Show all posts

The only reason I looked into the custom framing is that I haven't been able to find a frame with the right dimensions to do it myself...not even online. I have no problem doing it I actually prefer it that way but I can't find a frame. I have a note on my sheet about the acid free backing, no I didn't purchase that yet. And the mats...can I purchase just that material at these craft stores? Ugh I am definitely in over my head. I had no idea so much was involved with this!

I am going up to Michael's today to find a yarn color I need so I'll look around there for frame stuff too. Ugh stressful :(

Comments

Awesome! Thanks so much girly! XOXO  Post time 2013-9-23 21:33
Michael's and AC Moore carry matts and I know here they have a pretty big selecting of them in a lot of colors - you may have more luck finding what you want there :)  Post time 2013-9-23 20:50

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-9-23 21:07
| Show all posts
You can buy frames in sections at Michaels.  You buy the top and bottom and the sides separately.  It makes it easy to get the right size. If you get the anti glare glass it can be expensive.

Comments

Owww great information! Thank you so much! I will definitely take a look while I am there today! THANKS A MILLION! :)  Post time 2013-9-23 21:32

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +2 Collapse Reason
Reptilegirl27 + 2 Thank you very much!

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-9-23 21:10
| Show all posts
Amanda you have had some great suggestions here and to have something framed is expensive also here in Aust.  Good luck with whatever you decide.

Comments

Good Luck.  Details Reply Post time 2013-9-24 08:36
Thanks Lindy...you are right there! Everyone is greatly helpful! I am sure I'll be able to figure it out with everyone's help :)  Post time 2013-9-23 21:31

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-9-23 21:56
| Show all posts
This is what I was talking about MM @SilkLuv

HELP!!!  :D

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-9-23 22:17
| Show all posts
Edited by LouAnna at 2013-9-23 22:19

Charity shops are havens for cheap frames.   I've picked up a few and they cost a couple of dollars each.   
I do frame my own using acid free foam core from Michaels then I lace it with crochet cotton.   Glass is not as expensive if you take it to someone that specializes in glass and mirrors.   They even filed the edges of my glass so I wouldn't cut myself!   Don't forget to take the frame(s).
Do remember though when buying a frame there is enough space for the glass, mat and foam core.   You don't want to have your stitching touching the glass!  So about 1/2" or just over a cm.   The more space the better.     Paper backing to seal the back can be purchased at a dollar store in the wrapping department, it will be a rolled tube if your store carries it, they do occasionally carry foam core too.  It's the old fashioned paper wrap used to ship packages....... stay away from the post office though, they are expensive, but UPS store may have it.  Call and ask to save yourself the trip!

Comments

Great advice and great ideas! Thank you so so much!  Post time 2013-9-24 04:43

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +3 Collapse Reason
Reptilegirl27 + 3 Thank you very much!

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-28 03:49 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.088620 sec., 16 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list