Search
Hot search: AR doll Spanish Free russian
View: 2016|Reply: 21
Collapse the left

[Skill Help] Small problem with hoop

[Copy link]
Post time: 2013-10-8 22:43
| Show all posts |Read mode
Hi, I've got a small question. I didn't find similar topic, so I'm starting a new one.
I use a hoop, but it's annoying me. I flex fabric until it's surface is like a drum (I hope it's a good technique), but after I make some stitches - the fabric is not taut nearly at all. Is it my fault or my hoop is rubbish? Or maybe I'm not doing it right. Any ideas?
Sorry for any mistakes - English isn't my native language.

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2021-12-4 07:08
| Show all posts
I have found that if you want a larger hoop (I used to stitch on a 12" or 14" hoop), it has to be a really wide hoop --like an inch or more to grab the fabric enough to keep it taut. I eventually oved over to scroll frames (Millennium and Omanik frames) to get that drum-tight surface.  I also like things to be REALLY tight to stitch!
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-8-1 04:52
| Show all posts
I agree with xxstitcher a plastic hoop does keep the tension but only in the smaller sizes. If you require a larger hoop above 8-inches I find using a wooden quilt hoop does the trick.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-8-4 06:43
| Show all posts
I hate hoops - so I don´t use them... instead of my QSnap, which is awesome to work with! You can adjust your fabric as you like, so it´s always neat as possible.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-10-1 09:33
| Show all posts
I prefer a plastic hoop over a wooden one. If yours is wooden, you may want to bind it to help with your tension problem.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-2-18 22:02
| Show all posts
following this thread

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-2-11 02:14
| Show all posts
Following this thread

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-9-4 01:45
| Show all posts
Nunca uso aro.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-10-8 23:30
| Show all posts
LOL I have been fighting the same issue and it makes me crazy.  To be honest right now I am using a wooden hoop because it is the biggest hoop I have and I was able to fit my entire project in it without having to move the hoop around and get marks in the fabric.  I am finding that the hoop I am using keeps coming loose no matter how much I tighten it.  So after a bit I have to pull the project tight again and re-tighten the little thingy on the top of the hoop.  When I use the plastic hoops that the metal goes inside the ring of plastic the project stays tight.  So in my experience its all about the hoop and the next time I am out and about at the craft store I am investing in the plastic hoops that the metal piece goes inside of the ring in the larger sizes.  

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-10-9 02:02
| Show all posts
The professional embroiderers in my country wrap strips of fabric around the outer and inner hoops, which is supposed to hold the fabric tighter and less damages on the stitches that the hoops will go over. I don't use hoops so I can't verify that. Hope you have luck with it.

Comments

Thanks for tip, will try this with flannel strips. Have read that some stitchers use bias tapes to bind the wooden hoops. Cheers, p  Post time 2013-10-21 11:54

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-10-9 03:41
| Show all posts
Thanks for answers :) Mine hoop is wooden too. Now I'm going to search for plastic one :loveliness:

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-10-9 18:22
| Show all posts
I find that the Q Snap frames hold the fabric tighter than hoops do :)

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-10-9 19:07
| Show all posts
Unfortunately Q Snap isn't very popular in my country and I have no slightest idea where I can find one :(

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-10-13 14:14
| Show all posts
123Stitch have Q Shaps and heaps of other items, its an internet shop with excellent prices and service:
123stitch.com/cgi-perl/abcSearch/search.cgi

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2013-10-13 16:52
| Show all posts
Yep, it's nice, but shipping to Poland isn't  cheap. For this price I could buy loom for stitching.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-10-25 23:36
| Show all posts
It might be the quality of the hoop. I've never had issues with mine holding tension, if I got the fabric on correctly. I've always used plastic hoops as that was what was available in my local shops.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-10-27 02:30
| Show all posts
I have a nice plastic spring one that i got from Joann's.  I reallly like it at it never pulls stitches when putting fabric in it.  cheap too!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-24 20:14 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.088299 sec., 22 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list