Forgot password?
 Register
View: 1267|Reply: 11
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] Making Aida Plus Which Does not Tear

[Copy link]
Post time: 2013-11-10 10:49
| Show all posts |Read mode
I found a very interesting site --- well now that I just paid like $12 for 3 pieces of this Aida Plus that I could have done the exact same thing with all the tons of Aida Cloth I have here in the house :(

The cross stitch fabric, Aida Plus, is a modern fabric which has many of the useful properties of perforated paper, but none of its weaknesses. You can cut it, trim it and shape it without any unravelling, fraying or splitting and, unlike perforated paper, it is hand washable and will not tear. It even allows you to weave with it. This would be difficult with other cross stitch fabric which would fray, or with perforated paper which might tear.

14 count Aida Plus is available in 9 inch x 12 inch (23 cm x 30.5 cm) sheets and well as in a variety of colours. The fabric has a treated backing which prevents distortion, so no hoop or frame is really necessary.

The properties of Aida Plus make it particularly suitable for three dimensional projects, such as cross stitched baskets and napkin holders.

If you are working an Aida Plus project where the back of your work is going to be on view, you may wish to cover the back of the stitching. A second piece of Aida Plus can be ironed on to the back of your stitched work to line and stiffen it.

Place both pieces of Aida Plus fabric with their wrong sides together. The embroidery should be placed face down on a thick, white terry towel. Cover the fabric with a pressing cloth and iron with a medium heat until the fabrics are bonded. Allow to cool flat, then check the bond and, if necessary, repeat the ironing process until a satisfactory bond is achieved. When the pieces are securely fused together, they can be trimmed to the desired shape.

Aida Plus was originally made by Zweigart and was packaged in a cardboard envelope. Although now days it may be a little more difficult to find, it is worth looking for as it is a very handy and useful product. It is a very good cross stitch fabric as it does not unravel, unlike other fabrics such as Aida or evenweave.

If you are having difficulty finding Aida Plus, you might try having a go at making your own. To do this, you will need to use normal Aida fabric, of which any brand would be suitable. On the back of this fabric, you simply iron on regular interface which strengthens and stiffens it.

If you are concerned that your cross stitch fabric will unravel at the edges, you may also like to use an edge adhesive that is readily available from stores where you can buy cross stitch supplies.

streetarticles.com/crafts-supplies/aida-plus

Rate

Number of participants 4Gold Coins +15 Collapse Reason
Moya + 9 Usefull
jillyann + 1 Thanks for the info!
waterlillie + 2 Great info!
carton + 3 Powerfull!

View Rating Log

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2023-3-31 23:21
| Show all posts
Great article.  Enjoyed the part about making your own.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-2-10 10:20
| Show all posts
Thank you for the info Thats helpfull

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-2-16 17:21
| Show all posts
Thanks for the information

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-2-8 06:05
| Show all posts
interesting, thank you

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-6-2 02:17
| Show all posts
Teşekkür ederim

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-11-10 11:12
| Show all posts
Very informative!        

Comments

Thank you carton and for the rating :)  Post time 2013-11-10 11:41

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-11-10 11:26
| Show all posts
From what I read here this is no longer available except by 3rd party sellers????? But why?????? MWAHHHHHH! Sounds nice!

Comments

It seems like so many good ideas and nice things that make our crafts easier are not sold or produced anymore. What a shame. I guess hand crafts are not POPULAR as they used to be. Shame 4 our kids.  Post time 2013-11-10 12:15
I do not understand why they are not making it anymore :( I just got some on EBay you can tell the package is old but its unused. Its great for 3D products and bookmarks and ornaments  Post time 2013-11-10 11:41

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-11-10 23:03
| Show all posts
I looked it up and couldn't find it for sale in the stores. I always use fray check for edges before I stitch a piece, but I may iron on some interfacing before I stitch a bookmark to see how it works. I've seen it used for some of the patterns here, but never knew what it was.

Comments

I tried finding it as well and came up with nothing :(  Post time 2013-11-11 00:19

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-11-14 21:35
| Show all posts
Thanks for the information :D

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-12-2 08:04
| Show all posts
Thanks for the info.  I have never used Aida Plus.  Now I am curious to try some.

Comments

You are very welcome. I bought it but have not had a chance to try it yet. Busy trying to get Christmas stuff done and then I put a twist on that and got some stuff to learn to crochet.  Post time 2013-12-2 08:19

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-12-19 21:57
| Show all posts
Thanks for the info!

Comments

You are very welcome :)  Post time 2013-12-19 22:49

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-29 08:39 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.104786 sec., 25 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list