Forgot password?
 Register
View: 1132|Reply: 11
Collapse the left

[Skill Help] How to Interpret French Knot from Cross Stitch Chart

[Copy link]
Post time: 2014-3-6 16:00
| Show all posts |Read mode
I have just got this pattern which, I believe, calls for a french knot.  I have never seen a french knot on a pattern before.  From my understanding, the circle with the "S" is supposed to mean a french knot (It's supposed to be the eye of a bird).  My question is, which hole of the Aida I would do the french knot in?  Would I be coming up from the blue hole and doing the french knot and then going down in the purple hole to complete the french knot? But then what would I be doing for the two squares marked with the green number "2"?  I understand that for the four squares marked with the red number "1", they are supposed to be half of the white "z" symbolled thread and half of the black thread.

Thanks in advance for the help.

French Knot.jpg

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2022-2-10 05:57
| Show all posts
Following this thread
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-8 06:19
| Show all posts
Thanks for the info!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2014-3-6 16:04
| Show all posts
Usually with French knots you go up one hole and wrap the thread around a couple of times on the needle then go back down a hole close to the entrance. At least that is how I was taught

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2014-3-6 17:34
| Show all posts
That's what I have read in tutorials for doing a french knot but in the pattern I am working on, which hole would I be doing the french knot in since the french knot symbol is not placed in the middle of a square but rather it is placed on a line

Use magic Report

Post time: 2014-3-6 18:11
| Show all posts
just do it by yourself

Use magic Report

Post time: 2014-3-10 17:17
| Show all posts
If it's me doing this, I'll stitch the red number "1" with half stitches using black thread and the green number "2" with full stitches also using the black thread. Then I'll make the french knot in the middle of the blue hole and the purple hole where there's a strip of fabric instead of holes. You just do the French knot like usual where you go up one hole and wrap the thread around a couple of times on the needle then go back down a hole close to the entrance.

Or you can use seed bead to replace the French knot.  

Comments

Buena informacion, gracias  Details Reply Post time 2014-6-17 06:19
thank you so much for your help!!! makes a lot of sense!!! and the bead idea is great!! i might do that instead!!  Details Reply Post time 2014-3-10 17:42

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2014-3-10 17:42
| Show all posts

Login/Register to enlarge
viarmor

2014-3-10 01:17

If it's me doing this, I'll stitch the red number "1" with half stitches using black thread and the  ...

thank you so much for your help!!! makes a lot of sense!!! and the bead idea is great!! i might do that instead!!

Comments

You're welcome! I also prefer to use beads than French knots :)  Post time 2014-3-10 18:09

Use magic Report

Post time: 2014-3-12 19:42
| Show all posts
Very nice thanks for sharing

Use magic Report

Post time: 2014-3-16 21:12
| Show all posts
Thanks for info

Use magic Report

Post time: 2014-4-21 19:28
| Show all posts
Thanks for sharing!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2014-6-17 06:19
| Show all posts

viarmor

2014-3-10 17:17

If it's me doing this, I'll stitch the red number "1" with half stitches using black thread and the  ...

Buena informacion, gracias

Comments

You're welcome :)  Post time 2014-6-17 23:41

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-28 21:07 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.068710 sec., 19 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list