| | Promotion| FAQ|
| | |

PinDIY.com

Forgot password?
 Register
View: 1191|Reply: 11
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] DMC threads: best place to buy?

[Copy link]
Post time: 2014-3-28 04:48
| Show all posts |Read mode
Based on a recent thread, I suppose I should stick to brand name threads. Where do you all usually go to buy your DMC threads? I know Walmart sells them at 30 cents per skein (bundle? sorry, I'm new with the terminology). I've also seen them sell for bulk on Ebay, but I'm not sure if I'll be getting the authentic product.

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2022-2-10 05:55
| Show all posts
Thanks for sharing
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2014-3-28 05:19
| Show all posts
I buy whatever regular colors I need at Wal-Mart, but their stock is limited so I have to go to other stores out of town. I buy from Hobby Lobby and Michael's. Theirs is usually .38-.40 a skein, but they also have good coupons for certain amounts off and so forth. Their ads compete with each other to get you as their customer. I buy some of the specialty floss from Ebay such as the metallic and satin but here's a tip, watch out for some sellers prices as sometimes if you break down the cost you could wind up paying as much as .99 a skein for regular cotton floss, which is outrageous! I've found DMC to have the best sheen and color, but it's all up to the individual which they prefer most. I say go with what pleases you and have fun! ;-)

Comments

1 more thing, on Ebay I try to stick to buying from individuals or the U.S. Canada, England. ;-)  Post time 2014-3-28 05:25
You can get some good deals on Ebay though and if it has the DMC label, most times it is. It just may be an older thread, wwhich is fine if it's been stored properly. Just calculate the cost a skein.  Post time 2014-3-28 05:23

Use magic Report

Post time: 2014-3-28 07:41
| Show all posts
I get my DMC from mostly from Joann's and Michael's. My Walmart doesn't carry floss.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2014-3-28 07:48
| Show all posts
I buy them from Michaels or Hobby Lobby.  Sometimes my local cross stitch store.  I have all the colors, so I only have to buy when I'm getting low.  Price doesn't matter too much when you are only buying a few skeins, so convenience is where I buy them.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2014-3-28 23:58
| Show all posts
Thanks for all the advice! Since I'm starting my collection from scratch, I guess the initial $$ investment will be rather large. I'll look around to find the best way to organize my threads.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2014-3-29 01:54
| Show all posts
I actually started my floss collection by finding a HUGE lot at a local thrift store.  If you are okay with the notion that they probably belonged to Great Aunt Maud (who is no longer with us) you can sometimes find great deals thrift shopping.  I ended up getting somewhere in the range of 50-60, already wound, skeins (and mostly whole ones at that) for $10 and the best part was that they were already the most popular colours.  Even came in a floss box.

Comments

That's a great idea! I'll take a look around the local stores.  Details Reply Post time 2014-3-29 05:45

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2014-3-29 05:45
| Show all posts

Login/Register to enlarge
Narneh

Login/Register to enlarge
2014-3-28 09:54

I actually started my floss collection by finding a HUGE lot at a local thrift store.  If you are ok ...

That's a great idea! I'll take a look around the local stores.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2014-4-21 05:30
| Show all posts
Thanks for sharing!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2014-6-17 06:23
| Show all posts
Yo en una maravillosa Merceria a unas cuantas casas de la mia , soy feliz por eso :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2014-7-3 04:36
| Show all posts
At the moment, Joann's has all DMC threads on sale 3 for 99¢ through July 4th. If you download the 10% off entire order coupon from their site, you save even more!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-28 01:37 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.069706 sec., 14 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list