Register
Author: walala.miche
Collapse the left

[Skill Help] stitching beads

[Copy link]
Post time: 2012-9-17 22:51
| Show all posts
very interesting information :D

also, do the beads used in cross stitch need to be specifically made for this purpose, or can they be any beads?

Thank you

Comments

You don't have to buy "cross stitch use" beads, but there are two things to keep in mind when you're trying to fit beads into a grid, be it cross-stitch, crochet, knitting, or any other pattern. 1) S  Details Reply Post time 2012-9-18 04:12

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-9-18 04:12
| Show all posts

You don't have to buy "cross stitch use" beads, but there are two things to keep in mind when you're trying to fit beads into a grid, be it cross-stitch, crochet, knitting, or any other pattern.

1) SIZE

Beads are sized in a weird way that doesn't really make any sense any more. If you see sizes like "6/0" or "10/0" those used to mean that, on average, it would take that many beads to fill one inch of thread, side-by-side.

So 6/0 meant OOOOOO = one inch long,
and 10/0 meant oooooooooo = one inch long.

...and so on for all the other numbers. HOWEVER, that is no-longer true. The numbers are still in use, but they don't match up anymore to real inches, and they're a little different from brand to brand.

The best thing to do when you're employing beads in a situation like cross stitch or crochet where they'll need to fit into a grid is to test them for gauge first. Cut a length of thread (at least a foot long else it's hard to manage) and mark out exactly ONE INCH in the middle with a felt-tip pen or marker, like this:

thread ----------------------|------------|-------------------------
     mark            mark

...then string your beads on and count how many it takes to fill that inch.

If you're stitching on 14-ct (per inch) fabric for example, you'll theoretically want beads that fit 14 to an inch... BUT, in personal experience, it's best to use beads that are even a little smaller, like 15 or 16 to an inch. This allows for any minute variation, tensions, etc.

2) UNIFORMITY

Again, when you're putting beads into a grid where size is critical, shape will also be critical. Look for beads that are VERY uniform in shape. These, unfortunately, tend to be the slightly more expensive ones... not the cheap craft store kind, although sometimes you can find pretty good beads in a craft store bunch if you're willing to weed out the odd ones.

Two brands to look for are Miyuki brand beads (Delica is their most popular line), or Toho brand beads. Both are Japanese companies that keep their beads to VERY fine uniformity. You can get them online or in many bead stores (they're pretty much known to be the best choice for beadweaving, too).

Here they are: www+artbeads+com/delicas-seed-beads.html   (where + = .)

Good luck!

Comments

can i ask something else please? when i looked around here, it seems that mill hill beads are very popular? is there a particular reason for this? also, is there any difference between mill hill bea  Details Reply Post time 2012-9-19 03:52
very informative and detailed. thank you very much Blackhat for all the explanation and the link  Details Reply Post time 2012-9-18 04:46

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-9-18 04:46
| Show all posts
Blackhat replied at 2012-9-17 20:12
You don't have to buy "cross stitch use" beads, but there are two things to keep in mind when you' ...

very informative and detailed. thank you very much Blackhat for all the explanation and the link :D

Comments

Not at all! The best to you! :3  Post time 2012-9-18 05:40

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-9-19 03:52
| Show all posts
Blackhat replied at 2012-9-17 20:12
You don't have to buy "cross stitch use" beads, but there are two things to keep in mind when you' ...

can i ask something else please?

when i looked around here, it seems that mill hill beads are very popular? is there a particular reason for this?

also, is there any difference between mill hill beads and miyuki and toho beads?

Thank you very very much >.<

Comments

Ah, Mill Hill makes kits containing cross stitch patterns AND beads... that's probably why they get such attention from stitchers. They make a wide color variety in 11/0 size, the size most useful if  Details Reply Post time 2012-9-19 11:59

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-9-19 11:59
| Show all posts
xoxmwa replied at 2012-9-19 00:52
can i ask something else please?

when i looked around here, it seems that mill hill beads are ver ...

Ah, Mill Hill makes kits containing cross stitch patterns AND beads... that's probably why they get such attention from stitchers. They make a wide color variety in 11/0 size, the size most useful if you're stitching on 11-count Aida.

I used to use Mill Hill beads myself for bead weaving, and while they are very fairly uniform in size, they really aren't the highest quality for work that you'd want to last a long time. Things I did five years ago with silver-lined Mill Hills are starting to corrode -- this turns the glittery golden beads into ugly yellow drops with black spots inside. They also tend to have varying hole sizes, so you might find as many as 1 of 10 won't pass your needle.

I guess it's really up to you. If Mill Hill happens to be at your store at a good price, by all means, give them a try! You might like them. However, if you need any REALLY SMALL beads (smaller than 13/0) or you are making a project that you intend to become a family heirloom, I would sincerely suggest looking for the Japanese brands.

Comments

I see. I don't know if the stores here have any beads... Still have to go look or phone. I work on 14 count aida, so I do need them thinner >.< Thank you yet again Blackhat  Details Reply Post time 2012-9-20 17:21

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-9-20 17:21
| Show all posts
Blackhat replied at 2012-9-19 03:59
Ah, Mill Hill makes kits containing cross stitch patterns AND beads... that's probably why they ge ...

I see. I don't know if the stores here have any beads... Still have to go look or phone.

I work on 14 count aida, so I do need them thinner >.<

Thank you yet again Blackhat :D

Comments

I hope you find a good source! Best of luck!  Details Reply Post time 2012-9-21 02:59

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-9-21 02:59
| Show all posts
xoxmwa replied at 2012-9-20 14:21
I see. I don't know if the stores here have any beads... Still have to go look or phone.

I work o ...

I hope you find a good source! Best of luck!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2012-9-21 12:22
| Show all posts
When beads are called for in a design, I use what is recommended by the designer however I have found that with the Chatelaine designs it is often difficult to make all the beads fit evenly if using 32ct linen or evenweave.  Often there is a center design loaded with beads and I find that they get rather "packed" in if using 32ct so the solution is to modify the number of beads used or use 28ct instead.  I also attach beads using a full cross stitch so they end up straight, and I do not use a beading needle.  I use a size 28 needle in most cases and the beads will fit through and same with two threads of floss.  I have done a few designs where the recommended bead did not fit the needle but I just switched to a larger size bead.  The difference was minimal and it made my effort a lot easier.  Also when securing the beads I do not tie them off, I just weave the end of the thread back through the stitches on the back just like when I'm stitching although I usually do it a couple more times.  Depending on how the beads are laid out on the chart I will continue the thread to the next bead location so long as it's no more than an inch away.  Any further than that and I will just secure it, clip the thread, and then start again at the new location.

If you are looking to buy beads not sold in kits, you might check out Fire Mountain Gems.  They are in the US and offer thousands of beads in a wide variety of sizes and prices.  They have a huge on-line catalog and wishlist so its easy to save your favorites.  They have a tiered price structure so the more items you buy the less you pay per item. They offer Delica and Miyuki beads as well as lots of others (including gemstone beads, acrylic, glass, and Swarovski beads, and charms) if you need anything like that, too.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-10-13 04:57
| Show all posts
Dobre rady,dziękuję :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2013-10-25 23:40
| Show all posts
Thanks for all the advice.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-25 11:57 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.090760 sec., 21 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list