| | |

PinDIY.com

Forgot password?
 Register
Search
Hot search: Doll Doll M p cat doll
View: 915|Reply: 7
Collapse the left

[Skill Help] What is "filet cross stitch"?

[Copy link]
Post time: 2014-11-7 22:20
| Show all posts |Read mode
Been stitching for many years and come across something I have never heard of, let alone know how to do!
What is "filet cross stitch"? My pattern doesn't mention how to do it anywhere. I've tried goggling it with no success. It appears to regular cross stitch using one strand? Anyone know?

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2014-11-7 22:48
| Show all posts
I guess it came from Filet Crochet
same chart but in crosstitch
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2014-11-27 07:22
| Show all posts
Probably a reference to filet crochet. Filet crochet is done on a net grid & the same pattern can be used for cross stitch, etc. I would assume you just stitch as you would normally - either 1 over one or 2 over two (depending on what size you're doing).

Use magic Report

Post time: 2014-12-6 20:08
| Show all posts
Edited by justamoi at 2014-12-6 20:15

Ok...think I've found an answer for you. I have an old needlework book with a chapter on filet and reticella. Filet is essentially normal embroidery or cross stitch that is worked on a very fine net (that you made yourself or bought pre-made). You can either do embroidery stitches and/or cross stitch on the filet net & once it's complete, it's inserted into a piece of linen or similar (so is used as the decoration rather than embroidering directly onto the linen). Filet cross stitch is, as you can probably work out, cross stitch that has been done on a filet net. The finished product looks a little bit like lace but with a grid.

I have no idea if you can even get filet net any more...the closest to it may be something like waste canvas. But the picture in this textbook showed a very fine net, so I doubt waste canvas would be small/delicate enough to achieve the look intended in the original pattern.

Comments

Thanks! that makes sense! I will see if I have any fine netting in my stash, if not I will see what the fabric store has. Appreciate you answering my question  Details Reply Post time 2014-12-7 01:13

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2014-12-7 01:13
| Show all posts
justamoi 2014-12-6 14:08
Ok...think I've found an answer for you. I have an old needlework book with a chapter on filet and r ...

Thanks! that makes sense! I will see if I have any fine netting in my stash, if not I will see what the fabric store has. Appreciate you answering my question :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-5-4 21:58
| Show all posts
:) filet crochet are beautyful

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-2-11 02:39
| Show all posts
Following this thread

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-9-6 18:27
| Show all posts
You don't need to stitch on net.  Just stitch on normal cloth, the design will just be single colour silhouette in cross stitch.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-3-29 17:57 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.078094 sec., 19 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list