| | Promotion| FAQ|
| | |

PinDIY.com

Forgot password?
 Register
View: 1367|Reply: 15
Collapse the left

[Skill Help] Is my needlepoint project a loss? (Leaning to one side >.<)

[Copy link]
Post time: 2015-1-7 07:59
| Show all posts |Read mode
Help!

I'm wondering if I should scrap the 20+ hours I've put into this needlepoint doll rug.

I'm making to sell, not for myself, so I want to make certain before I go further.

It's almost like it's warped, leaning to one side like a parralelagram.  

Could I wash it at the end, and maybe stretch it out onto a board or something, tugging it in place to hopefully achieve 90 degree corners?  Or am I pretty much out of luck?  :/  

Please help?

Help.jpg

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2022-2-10 05:46
| Show all posts
Thanks for sharing
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-1-7 11:00
| Show all posts
Almost all needlepoint will need to be blocked.  Most framers will do this for you but it's rather simple, wash it gently, (don't ever wring needlework) roll it up in think absorbent towels and gently squeeze it.    Pin or tack it in place with T-pins or pins that won't rust.  Make sure it's square, or in your case rectangular and let dry.  Many people pin into solid foam puzzle pieces to block because the pins won't give when the piece is pulled tight.

Comments

Excellent answer, LouAnna, thank you! One extra question, if I may? Since this is a small rug, long sides bound by a certain stitch, short sides with fringe, do I block it before I put the edges in  Details Reply Post time 2015-1-7 11:35

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2015-1-7 11:35
| Show all posts

Login/Register to enlarge
CraftyLouAnna

2015-1-7 11:00

Almost all needlepoint will need to be blocked.  Most framers will do this for you but it's rather s ...

Excellent answer, LouAnna, thank you!

One extra question, if I may?  Since this is a small rug, long sides bound by a certain stitch, short sides with fringe, do I block it before I put the edges in place?  Or would I do it afterwards?  (Or both!  ;P  I'm totally new at this!)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-1-7 13:35
| Show all posts
Very nice ! :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-3-25 03:59
| Show all posts
Thank you for this tip

Comments

Glad you found useful information, too!  Details Reply Post time 2015-3-25 04:10

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2015-3-25 04:10
| Show all posts

Veronik

2015-3-25 03:59

Thank you for this tip

Glad you found useful information,  too!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-9-11 09:13
| Show all posts
Oh gosh. I need to know how this turned out! It's fantastic so far. Blocking for me has always been really easy so I know this project wasn't a lost cause.

Comments

Sadly blocking didn't do too much, until I started to use a 'sealer' on the back, as I found information out. I found out to use a clear, non-staining wallpaper type gel on the back keeps the s  Details Reply Post time 2015-9-11 10:12

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2015-9-11 10:12
| Show all posts

scoll1310

2015-9-10 15:13

Oh gosh. I need to know how this turned out! It's fantastic so far. Blocking for me has always been  ...

Sadly blocking didn't do too much, until I started to use a 'sealer' on the back, as I found information out.  :)  

I found out to use a clear, non-staining wallpaper type gel on the back keeps the shape -really- well, and doesn't detract from the back.  I just wish I had found that info out before I finished this project out.  

I did end up finding someone to buy it at a discounted rate, so I was happy enough for that.  But the rugs I work on now all turn out beautifully.  :)  This one was just a pain, lol.  (First needlepoint project, so there were bound to be snafu's.)

Blue%20and%20White%20RUg_zpsmq0dugxg.jpg

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +7 Collapse Reason
Moya + 7 Adorable!

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-9-11 10:58
| Show all posts
Thank you for letting me know. I never heard of a sealer for the back. I will explore that. I'm getting ready to do a large needlepoint for the first time in many years.

Comments

From what I've heard, it isn't as noticeable with larger projects, though there is almost always a slant unless you work diagonally instead of left > right, right > left. (The stitches pull in a di  Details Reply Post time 2015-9-11 17:16

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2015-9-11 17:16
| Show all posts

scoll1310

2015-9-10 16:58

Thank you for letting me know. I never heard of a sealer for the back. I will explore that. I'm gett ...

From what I've heard, it isn't as noticeable with larger projects, though there is almost always a slant unless you work diagonally instead of left > right, right > left.  

(The stitches pull in a diagonal fashion, because it's just a single stitch across, so since they're all done the same way, and all at a diagonal themselves, they pull the fabric that way, creating the slant.  Very different from the cross stitch and embroidery we usually do.  Or, at least that's how one professional I met I think explained it, paraphrasing, of course.)

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-28 03:57 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.064771 sec., 18 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list