Hot search: AR doll Spanish Free russian
View: 2918|Reply: 34
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] Gridding

[Copy link]
Post time: 2015-1-7 23:05
| Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by Bleu at 2015-1-7 16:41

I've seen grinding for larger pieces in pen and marked with thread. How do you mark with thread? Backstitch the lines? And how does it come out when the piece is completed?

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Related collections:

Post time: 2016-2-24 06:19
| Show all posts

Didn't even consider fishing line at first since I didn't think it would be very visible.  Now that you mention it can be bought in red (which I will be able to see easily) I'm going that route.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-4-11 08:34
| Show all posts
i have tried a washable pen but am scared it wont come out, I have tried fishing line and i found on some fabric it was hard to see. Now I use a black rayon quilting thread, it comes in black and it is similar to fishing line but finer and easier to work with... it is cheap and i can get it at my local fabric store.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-5-6 07:32
| Show all posts
I used washable pens for gridding. Since, I love to work on full coverage design there is no problem with that. but if it's not, I grid it on the backside.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-6-9 21:20
| Show all posts
I have used the water soluble pens before to grid every 10 holes, but i never drew the lines.  they do wash out.  

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-3-15 03:44
| Show all posts
I'm using monofilament as it's finer than fishing line available near me, it works fine with 18ct aida that I use often.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-11-4 17:11
| Show all posts
I grid with a pen : Pilot Frixion - the ink disappears when you iron the finished project. Its a heat sensitive ink.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-2-10 05:28
| Show all posts
Thanks so much for sharing:)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-3-16 16:47
| Show all posts
Thank you very much

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-3-26 22:02
| Show all posts
Thank you very much

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-1-7 23:28
| Show all posts
I have a friend that uses fishing line instead of the thread. She tells me it's easy to use and can't be nipped in the stitching process. When she's finished stitching she pulls it out very easily. I only use the grid method for counting up and over to the the first stitch and then I pull the "counting thread" out. Hope it works for you.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-1-7 23:34
| Show all posts
I use pen, that really doesn't like water (washes off easy) and fishing line. Second one is easy to pull after stitching. It's slippery, so I don't think about it while stitching, even when thread is over/under it.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-1-8 00:06
| Show all posts
I don't trust the marking pens, so I use fishing line to grid my projects and I do it page by page in case I count wrong.    It's so helpful if you need to mark just one place on your stitching or, if you make a mistake you can take the fishing line to the closest grid line and count back.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-1-8 01:20
| Show all posts
I use different-colored sewing thread. I use running stitches - 5 blocks long - and do 50 x 50 grids only.
I have heard of using fishing line in gridding, and it is a good idea too.

Comments

That was my method as well..but the fishing line idea seems genius. No more running THROUGH the grid lines and having to sweat over the work with scissors!  Post time 2015-6-7 11:47

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-1-8 04:16
| Show all posts
I have never used a grid and I rarely have to rip out any of my stitching.  I do use a colored pencil and mark off the stitches on my chart as I complete them. (actually I stitch an area and then mark them off on the chart. Yes, I make working copies of my patterns before I start.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-1-8 09:20
| Show all posts
I use red fishing line. So easy to see it. I bought it online. The light green fishing line was OK but much harder to see. Once you are done the line is so easy to pull out.

Comments

Red sounds like a good idea!! I have gotten many great ideas I feel the need to try them all, see which is best for me! Where did you order your red line? Id love to try that!  Details Reply Post time 2015-1-8 17:31

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2015-1-8 17:31
| Show all posts

Login/Register to enlarge
jillyann

2015-1-7 18:20

I use red fishing line. So easy to see it. I bought it online. The light green fishing line was OK b ...

Red sounds like a good idea!! I have gotten many great ideas I feel the need to try them all, see which is best for me! Where did you order your red line? Id love to try that!

Comments

I ordered on Amazon. Search for cajun red fishing line. Get the 2 lb. Its the thinnest.  Details Reply Post time 2015-1-8 23:36
I ordered on amazon. Search cajun red fishing line. Get the 2 pound one. Its the thinnest.  Details Reply Post time 2015-1-8 23:33

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-1-8 18:21
| Show all posts
I have never used the gridding method, but I am thinking of trying a soluble pen

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-1-8 23:33
| Show all posts

jt1077

2015-1-8 17:31

Red sounds like a good idea!! I have gotten many great ideas I feel the need to try them all, see  ...

I ordered on amazon. Search cajun red fishing line. Get the 2 pound one. Its the thinnest.

Comments

Thank you for this information  Details Reply Post time 2015-6-9 12:53

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-23 19:42 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.077343 sec., 17 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list