Forgot password?
 Register
Author: jillyann
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] Tip for patterns with a lot of symbols

[Copy link]
 Author| Post time: 2015-1-13 07:33
| Show all posts
Oh now i understand. Thank you for explaining that to me. I didnt know you could do that. Maybe i should start stitching near my computer then. I pretty new to repainted charts. Thanks for the great info.

Comments

I cannot repaint patterns myself (haven't learned it yet). So I deal with difficult patterns in my own way. I recently finished a Stoney Creek design and they are notorious for having too many and sc  Details Reply Post time 2015-1-16 15:09

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-1-16 15:09
| Show all posts

Login/Register to enlarge
jillyann

2015-1-13 07:33

Oh now i understand. Thank you for explaining that to me. I didnt know you could do that. Maybe i sh ...

I cannot repaint patterns myself (haven't learned it yet). So I deal with difficult patterns in my own way.

I recently finished a Stoney Creek design and they are notorious for having too many and scattered hard to find symbols, especially on grass and flowers there is a real symbol mess. My method is:

- stitch by square (10 x 10 symbols), not by color. That way you will have to change thread too often (if you use 1 needle), but otherwise you will never be lost and will see symbols a lot easier when your working area is small.

- mark symbols with colored pencils

- memorize which symbol corresponds to which color. This one may be difficult but is worth doing. There is a logic behind colors (for example in my design I had mint greens for grass, 500, 501, 502, 503 and I memorized them and when I saw there is grass I already knew the logic and stitched it all very fast no matter the scattered symbols).

Comments

Thank you so much for all your wonderful tips. I am afraid to stitch by square. Last time i tried that i could actually make out the individual squares in my finished work.  Details Reply Post time 2015-3-13 13:01

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-2-15 04:42
| Show all posts
I like your system Jillyann. I spend a lot of time looking on my needle minder for the symbol.  I list the symbols in numerical color order, straight from the chart's symbol key.

And of course because it's me that's drawn the symbol on the card they're usually a pretty warped version of the actual symbol too. I do find after about the first couple of weeks I get to know the colors and symbols better and it takes less time. I still get caught out though when two symbols are too close to each other, and they inevitably get placed together at some point!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-2-19 08:16
| Show all posts
Very clever.  I'm going to try this with my next big project.  Thanks for the tip.

Comments

You are very Welcome  Details Reply Post time 2015-3-6 11:48

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2015-3-6 11:48
| Show all posts

siennaX

2015-2-19 08:16

Very clever.  I'm going to try this with my next big project.  Thanks for the tip.

You are very
Welcome

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-3-6 22:00
| Show all posts
i usse different colors of highlighters on the chart, so i cann sea wath i have done

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-3-10 20:31
| Show all posts
Great tip, I'll try to use this with my parking technique

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-3-13 04:35
| Show all posts
i don't cross stitch but there are a lot of symbols in knitting charts. and i always make a separate chart and cover it with clear type. this way it doesn't get all messed up with all of the handling.  

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2015-3-13 13:01
| Show all posts

terishte

2015-1-16 15:09

I cannot repaint patterns myself (haven't learned it yet). So I deal with difficult patterns in my ...

Thank you so much
for all your wonderful tips. I am afraid to stitch by square. Last time i tried that i could actually make out the individual squares in my finished work.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-3-23 08:36
| Show all posts
The highlight the colour on the chart tip works a treat (for me anyway)

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-5-5 00:41 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.088234 sec., 19 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list