Forgot password?
 Register
View: 1377|Reply: 12
Collapse the left

[Skill Help] Removing creases from fabric

[Copy link]
Post time: 2015-2-13 13:31
| Show all posts |Read mode
Can anyone tell me the best way to remove creases from fabric.  I have wasted so much money buying fabric online to have it mailed to me folded and then I'm not able to use it.  It's the same with fabric in kits.  I try to remove the creases but it seems impossible.  I usually end up distorting the fabric trying to iron the creases out even if I don't move the iron back and forth.  I'm able to remove the creases somewhat but you can still see where it was folded.  Thank you for your suggestions.  

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2018-3-15 07:55
| Show all posts

I honestly never thought of washing the fabric!  I may start doing this now.  Thank you.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-2-8 22:05
| Show all posts
thank you for bringing this topic. now i know what i need to do. thank you.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-2-10 06:46
| Show all posts
Thank you for sharing :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-8 03:14
| Show all posts
Thanks for the info!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-2-13 17:31
| Show all posts
Try to hang the fabric and steam just the creases from time to time. It's annoying,  takes a while, but works for me.

Comments

Thank you.  Post time 2015-2-13 22:22

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-2-14 00:05
| Show all posts
I hang it up in the shower while I'm showering.  The steam helps uncrease it.

Comments

I will give it a try. Sounds promising.  Post time 2015-2-15 02:44
I like this idea. I'll try this at some point.  Post time 2015-2-15 00:52

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-2-15 00:51
| Show all posts
I always wash my fabric first. I hem the edges of the piece on the sewing machine, then wash it - usually by hand.  I roll it into a towel to dry it, and then iron it dry.

This is good if there is any cotton content to the fabric, it gets any shrinkages out of the way, before I put the embroidery onto it.

I never intend to wash my finished piece, I try to work as clean as possible. But sometimes I stitch in front of the telly, and accidents do happen. Especially if a piece takes a couple of years to complete. So if I've pre-washed before I start a project, and then at the end of it, it needs a wash, I'm hopefully covered, at least for fabric shrinkage.  

When a piece of fabric comes badly folded I've never found anything other than washing/wetting and drying gets the creases fully out. I've cut corners in the past, ironed the fabric, pulled it taut on the frame, stitched it, and then once it's off the frame the crease lines are still there.

Comments

Thank you. I always zig zag the edges of my fabric and then wet it. But I still have problems getting the folds out. Seems like I have more trouble with linen.  Post time 2015-2-15 02:48

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-3-13 20:10
| Show all posts
I've always found modern linen to be a problem when getting out the folds, so, as I usually have to buy it online, I try not to buy it or work on it any more........... I had some really old linen of my mother's that I stitched and it was lovely. Although in a cupboard for many years the creases came out with a hand wash, a flat dry and a steam iron with an ancient heavy 1980s iron... (Unfortunately the iron no longer works!!)

Comments

Thank you!  Post time 2015-3-15 04:13

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-3-22 20:29
| Show all posts
I use a steam iron to press the fabric. Wet the fabric first, then steam it on the cotton or highest setting of the iron.

Another trick is to use a mix of vinegar and water on the fabric, get it really wet, and then iron it. Once it's dry, I roll it up and store it in a tube (if you don't have any, use the cardboard tube from an empty paper towel roll). This way the fabric is rolled and not folded.

I store all my fabric rolled up until I use it, or while I'm in the process of stitching on it to keep it from creasing. Even after I finish stitching but before I frame a piece, I roll it back up and put it in the empty paper towel tube to protect it and keep it safe.

Comments

No, but I always use aida, never linen or evenweave, so I can't speak about anything other than what I use.  Details Reply Post time 2015-3-24 18:00
Thank you! Do you have problems with the fabric distorting when you iron it?  Post time 2015-3-22 22:38

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-3-23 22:00
| Show all posts
If you're not in a hurry: put the flat fabric between two flat surfaces (really flat, and they have to cover the fabric completely), put some weight on it (if you still have books, but magazines works too) and forget about it for months. No creases in sight and they don't come back either.

Comments

Thank you! I have a lot of fabric in my stash so I will try this.  Post time 2015-3-24 00:29

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-3-24 18:00
| Show all posts

Login/Register to enlarge
dmcjms

Login/Register to enlarge
2015-3-22 20:29

I use a steam iron to press the fabric. Wet the fabric first, then steam it on the cotton or highest ...

No, but I always use aida, never linen or evenweave, so I can't speak about anything other than what I use.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-3-24 18:46
| Show all posts
I always wash my fabrics before sewing. Not really because of creases, though I am glad to be rid of those, but because of any chemical treatment that the fabric might have had. Besides, I know that despite my own best efforts, I am going to crease and probably smudge any project, so that it will need to be cleaned and ironed at the end.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-5-4 02:04 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.113637 sec., 25 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list