| | Promotion| FAQ|
| | |

PinDIY.com

Forgot password?
 Register
View: 1138|Reply: 12
Collapse the left

[Skill Help] What Frame Should I Get & Where Should I Get It?

[Copy link]
Post time: 2015-3-28 18:17
| Show all posts |Read mode
For my next project, a HAE, I was thinking of getting a frame instead of a hoop that I can use when sitting on the sofa. I have taken a look before at what was out there, but could use some help. As to what works and what doesn't, and is there actually any frame I can use comfortably on a sofa.

Also some tips on how to buy frames the budget way in EU. So if any of you know how to get decent quality frames for decent prices (incl. shipping & customs if relevant), please, please let me know.

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2016-2-25 15:04
| Show all posts

I was just researching this exact frame, but held off ordering it because a couple of the reviews stated the difficulty in accessing the back side of your work.  You're saying it's easy to flip to the back?  Another question I have is can you remove the scroll frame from the stand if you want to?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-2-25 19:46
| Show all posts
It is slightly awkward to flip it over, but I consider it a small price to pay for the overall convenience of the frame (ie: lightweight, no-sew scroll bars, low cost. floor stand).  And yes, you can remove the scroll frame from the stand.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-8 03:24
| Show all posts
Thanks for the info!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-2-10 05:29
| Show all posts
Looks perfect

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-3-28 20:54
| Show all posts
I Always work by hand. So I don't use these things. So I can'f help you. Succes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-3-28 20:57
| Show all posts
I usually use the q-snap frames and I really like them. They're lightweight, come in a variety of sizes, and hold my project tightly. I also find they're a lot easier to use than some of the others i've tried.

Comments

AMW
Thanks- will look into it. :)  Post time 2015-3-28 22:06

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-3-28 21:51
| Show all posts
I have tried all kinds of frames, from hoops to Q snaps to lap frames to floor frames.  My favorite is a scroll frame that I bought very inexpensively from Michaels (here in Canada).  I think it was only about $45CDN, and is lightweight, easy to assemble and perfect for a HAED (in my opinion) because you can easily flip it over to do any work on the back.  I have attached a picture of it :)

20150328_094405 (590x800).jpg

Comments

aoleary1791 Actually, it's not necessary to sew the fabric on to the frame. The scroll bars are split, and the fabric is just slipped into the bar. Easy peasy!  Post time 2015-6-7 18:34
OMG! That looks pretty amazing. If only I had some place to put it! I have a scroll frame that I've never used because I was always leery of having to sew the fabric to the frame, but I'll try now!  Post time 2015-6-7 11:03
Yes, I bought a really expensive lap frame, but I like this one so much better. Live and learn!  Post time 2015-3-28 22:57
AMW
Wow! Thanks for the pic. That's really something and can understand why it's your favorite. I'm afraid though that it will cost alot more in EU, especially incl. shipping, but will definitely check!:)  Post time 2015-3-28 22:09

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-3-28 23:03
| Show all posts
Oooh, I should take a look see too!  I work right beside Michaels daily.  I have a floor stand that is very similar to this, all but the frame piece that holds the scroll bars.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-3-29 21:28
| Show all posts
Looks perfect and nice price too!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-5-1 03:01
| Show all posts
Wonderful. Where did you get your floor stand?

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-5-3 01:21
| Show all posts
If you choose Qsnaps the 11" squares are a popular choice. You'll still be able to hold the frame in your hand and stitch, if this is what you need. A lot of people use hair clips to hold the excess fabric out of the way. Or use elasticated covers.

I think if you go for scroll frames and upwards you may find them unwieldy after a while. Especially at HAED sizes, so you're probably going to want a frame and a stand to hold it.

Inexpensive options in the EU that I like are Elbessee. I really like their frames and stands. Their posilock system might work for you, and still allow you to sit at the sofa and stitch. Look secondhand too - there are lots of their frames out there, for not much money.

If you go on Ebay, look at ITA. They are fairly new, but are putting out some impressive frames/stands at amazing prices. I haven't tried them but I have heard good things from people who have.

Good luck! You don't need to spend a fortune to get a good system. I don't think there is too much that can go wrong with a basic wooden frame that can't be easily repaired!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-5-3 01:39
| Show all posts
I use two lap stands. One is K'S Creations Z Lap stand for my q snap. This is for my smaller projects. For my HAED, I use K's Creations Original Lap Stand (Large Base). It'll fit scroll frames up till 36" if i;m not mistaken. I prefer lap stands coz I like to be mobile and dont want to be confined to just one stitching spot. I bought them from threadneedlestreet dot com. International Shipping price and insurance is quite hefty, plus customs tax in my country. But i love them!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-5-2 16:24 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.086331 sec., 22 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list