| | Promotion| FAQ|
| | |

PinDIY.com

Forgot password?
 Register
View: 5891|Reply: 73
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] Loop start saved my life!!

[Copy link]
Post time: 2015-5-5 00:50
| Show all posts |Read mode
lol I know it sounds cheeky, but it is totally true.  The loop start is the single best thing to happen to my stitches!

Now, this is how to do it:

Login/Register to enlarge

Take one length of thread double the size you normally do.  Fold it in half and put the loose threads through the hole.  Then take a stitch, and pull the needle through the loop at the end of the thread!!  This only works if you need to use 2 strands so it wont work if you need 3 or 5 strands, it needs to be even!

Looped_start.jpg

Rate

Number of participants 2Gold Coins +2 Collapse Reason
mayoungpindiy + 1 Great idea!
trublu2u + 1 Thanks for the info!!!!

View Rating Log

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2016-3-15 19:04
| Show all posts
Loop starting is one of the best things I learned from the internet. I saw someone on youtube who did it from the front. Down topright,up leftbottom,then the needle through the loop stil sticking out and than back down left bottom with a little tuck to get the thick part of the loop at the back.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-9-23 09:11
| Show all posts
Thanks, I'm going to try this! What it would essentially do, would be make your floss last longer as well (if I'm reading/looking at it correctly) as you could use half the amount of floss needed, since you are essentially doubling each strand. :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-7-13 21:03
| Show all posts
danineedsstuff

2015-5-6 10:53

oh and also, I do the loop method from the front. and you just do your loop like the picture, and th ...

amazing idea, I have never tried this from the front.  Love the tips.  thanks

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-8-23 01:04
| Show all posts
Love a loop start. Unfortunately my patterns have a bunch of blended colors, so boo but when I'm able to use a loop start it makes me feel like I'm saving on wasting floss.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-7-24 05:39
| Show all posts
Hammy

2015-5-5 01:55

Some think that folding the floss in half result in two half floss which spins the opposite directio ...

That is a good point.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-10-19 07:33
| Show all posts
loop start works well for a lot of changing for sure, but it does make the threads twist different ways. Might bug someone enough not to use it.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-7-27 07:39
| Show all posts
this is great, i will try this as turning my work all the time is a pain as my frame is terribly old, wobbly and yuck, think i need a new frame :(

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-2-14 02:57
| Show all posts
I also use the loop method and it helps with keeping the back of my work neater. It can't be used every time but it is great when you can.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-8-12 15:45
| Show all posts
Love it! It's a great tip, never thought about it before, but tried it and it's truly useful. Saves up a lot of thread. Thanks!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-6-28 11:20
| Show all posts
I too use the loop method. However, I don't when using over-dyed threads as the color changes get lost.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-5-5 01:23
| Show all posts
Hi

Do you only use it when you are going to use up the thread? or what do you do with the leftover?

Comments

Great, anything that makes stitching more enjoyable :-)  Post time 2015-5-5 01:36
You can always park it if need be, but I like to work with one color at a time, so I'll usually use the whole thread, then just weave it through the back like you normally do to finish off  Post time 2015-5-5 01:25

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-5-5 01:55
| Show all posts
Some think that folding the floss in half result in two half floss which spins the opposite direction, and it can result different result than using two separate piece of floss.
I believe in it, especially when doing specialty stitches (satin stitch etc.)
In normal cross stitch, it can be a good technique.

Comments

Great point! I wouldn't do this method with anything other than normal cotton floss, although maybe DMC light effect too, those things are tricky!  Post time 2015-5-6 02:37
That's a good point actually - it could happen. On saying that I've used the loop method for years and it works fine for me - makes life a lot easier. You can't use it with variegated thread though  Details Reply Post time 2015-5-5 23:41

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-5-5 17:02
| Show all posts
Thanks a lot of that t:D:D:Dip!!!!!!!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-5-5 23:41
| Show all posts

Hammy

2015-5-5 01:55

Some think that folding the floss in half result in two half floss which spins the opposite directio ...

That's a good point actually - it could happen.  On saying that I've used the loop method for years and it works fine for me - makes life a lot easier.  You can't use it with variegated thread though obviously which is a pity!!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-5-6 00:18
| Show all posts
It's a good way to start a lot of different stitching.............. I have always used it when stitching purse frames to my purse body.................:D

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-5-6 18:42
| Show all posts
I have never tried the loop start, but if you are doing a cross stitch pattern that has a lot of colours changes (I have had 40 colour changes in 100 stitches!) it would make the back of the stitching less bulky too I should think.  May be I should try it one day.  :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-5-6 23:50
| Show all posts
The loop method is probably hands down my favorite little trick to cross stitch. I will alter most patterns or my way of stitching so I can do the loop method. Plus it makes it easier so Im constantly not having to turn over my work which can be a pain with my stand.  :) glad someone else loves it just as much as me!!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-5-6 23:53
| Show all posts
oh and also, I do the loop method from the front. and you just do your loop like the picture, and then go back down the hole you came up in. be careful not to go through the loop though. You go around it! that way you dont have to turn it over! :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-5-13 03:31
| Show all posts
Definitely have to try this! I hate running under my previous threads when I'm doing a lot of color changes!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-25 23:34 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.097119 sec., 19 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list