| | |

PinDIY.com

Forgot password?
 Register
Search
Hot search: Doll Doll M p cat doll
View: 1478|Reply: 13
Collapse the left

[Knitting] Knitting or purling -that is the question (help!)

[Copy link]
Post time: 2015-10-9 01:42
| Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by devra at 2015-10-8 12:43

Is there a way to be sure which side you are working on when you have to stop in the middle of a row? I know the yarn is to the back when knitting, front for purl,and I normally put it down with the side I am working on face up, but sometimes I have to throw my knitting down in a hurry (for example when the smoke alarm goes off because your dinner is burning :lol) and then I can't remember which side I was working on :'(

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2019-10-4 10:08
| Show all posts
If you look carefully when you are knitting or purling, your working yarn (unless you knit backward) is always on your right needle.  Take a close look when you knit a stitch or purl a stitch.  You are always working from left needle to right needle.  The working yarn will always be on the right needle.  So even if you are purling, look at your knitting.  The working yarn will be attached to the right needle.

Take a look.  That's how I figure out which side I'm working on.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-9-24 08:18
| Show all posts
If you shop on Etsy you can find stitch markers that tell you if you are knitting, purling, increasing, decreasing and everything else a knitter does.  I bought some for my daughter and she loves them.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-12-7 18:11
| Show all posts
I also use a diff color stitch marker to tell me the right/wrong side of things like when I'm ribbing for a long stretch or something like that.  Just makes it easier if I space out on what row I'm on.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-12-6 09:55
| Show all posts
The working yarn is on your left needle. Your work will tend to curl to the smooth (knit) side and away from the purl (bumpy side) in stockingette.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-10-10 17:32
| Show all posts
Ok, in stockinette stitch, on the right side the stitches shows what looks like a V , and tve wrong side like little waves .

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-15 03:23
| Show all posts
A szín oldalára Egy jelölőt Kell Tenni. (Nem a sor szélére: D)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-6-14 22:45
| Show all posts
Thanks for sharing

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-2-17 09:20
| Show all posts
Thank you very much!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-8-9 12:47
| Show all posts
Thanks for sharing!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-9-20 21:40
| Show all posts
все будет хорошо

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-10-9 03:30
| Show all posts
If you are knitting stocking stitch (English) Stockinette Stitch (American)  you have a smooth side and a knobbly side. If the smooth side is towards you and the wool is at the back you are knitting. If the knobbly side is towards you and the wool is at the front - you are purling.
OK! C'mon Devra:D - make it easy for yourself and buy some stitch markers. Then place one colour  (say pink)  in the first stitch when you start a knit row...................: then another colour (say green) when you start a purl row. keep moving the markers up when you start a new row. You can then throw it at the cat, and still work out where you have got to.............................!:lol
Don't worry, after a while you will be able to tell which side you are working on.....................

Comments

I have stitch markers, just never thought to use that way lol Thank you!  Post time 2015-10-9 21:59

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +2 Collapse Reason
devra + 2 Thanks :)

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-10-20 04:17
| Show all posts
good luck!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-3-29 13:38 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.126952 sec., 20 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list