Search
Hot search: Russian Crochet
View: 1605|Reply: 14
Collapse the left

[Knitting] Flicking method...please tell me it gets easier

[Copy link]
Post time: 2015-11-21 09:47
| Show all posts |Read mode
In effort to improve my speed, I've been trying to learn "flicking" which (much to my dismay) has had the opposite effect :curse:  I'm hoping it's just a matter of getting used to a new way of knitting...I'd love to hear opinions from other flickers

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +10 Collapse Reason
KatharinaV-NL + 10 It will!!!!

View Rating Log

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2015-11-21 14:29
| Show all posts
With practice it should come easier.   My Mum was a very fast knitter I could never knit with just the points of the needle, flicking the wool over the point of the needle.  She also to propped the needles on her forearms.  Now I taught
myself and knit by dropping the wool in between stitches, but that's the way I learned and I get the right tension. I've tried knitting the English way and found my tension was too tight.  So I've stuck
with my old way and it may take me awhile to knit anything, but it comes out the way it should.   If it still seems to be a bit of a bother to keep trying the new approach, go back to your old way and enjoy the craft.  You know the race between
the tortoise and the hare, well I win being the tortoise every time!   :)  To me getting the right tension and  the right effect to what I am knitting means more to me than doing it quickly.

Comments

Thank you for the response! I'm going to give it a little longer before I quit (it's only been 2 days lol) but if I don't see any improvement by next week I'll go back to doing it the old way.  Post time 2015-11-21 21:52
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-5-19 09:20
| Show all posts
Edited by KatharinaV-NL at 2021-5-19 02:36

Flicking was the standard way in The Netherlands 50 years ago.
Our needles are longer than the US ones: 40 cm exactly. (And so our knitting workbags are different sizes too; longer!)
Being right-handed you clamp the right needle under your arm against your body.
The left needle and your right hand, are the only things moving then. My right-hand thumb is always stuck on the needle, never a loose swinging hand like they show on videos. You get different tensions every time then if you're losing hold of the needle with your thumb.
It's better for back posture too.
The work is not in your lap but about 20-30 cm more upwards.
You sit straight up and not bended down. (Able to watch TV at the same time)
See the photo of this lady: www.facebook.com/843547772445081 ... -/1500828500050335/

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-11-21 15:24
| Show all posts
I am a flicker and very fast. It is a matter of how you hold your needles and how you tension the yarn around your fingers. You need to make sure that your index finger which will do the flicking has the yarn over it but not too tightly. Adjust your tension and your yarn wrapping until you get it right. Don't hold your needles too tightly either. Let the needles rest in your hands. I hold my needles like I am holding a knife and fork, NOT like I am writing with a pencil. That grip will make a difference. Practice and get someone to show you in person how it is done. You will find the personal approach much easier to learn than from videos on YouTube. If you need more help, don't hesitate to ask. I would love to help you in any way that I can.

Comments

We could try knitting together via Skype so that I can show you how I do it? Send me a private message and we can exchange email addresses. I am located in Ottawa, Canada.  Details Reply Post time 2015-11-21 23:48
Oh I agree,personal approach,unfortunately I don't know anyone that knits so youtube and the forum are all I have. Really appreciate the tips, esp. about the grip definitely will try! Thanks :)  Post time 2015-11-21 22:04

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-5-20 04:14
| Show all posts
Keep at it, you will get better.  I had to learn a few different ways to knit because of carpel tunnel syndrome.  The different ways allow different muscles in my hand to get a bit of a rest, thus allowing me to knit longer, as long as I switch knitting styles every hour or so.  If I forget, after a couple of hours I have to put my knitting down because of sore hands.  Keep at it, and your hands will thank you for switching styles every now and then.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-10-10 18:10
| Show all posts

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-11-21 23:48
| Show all posts

We could try knitting together via Skype so that I can show you how I do it? Send me a private message and we can exchange email addresses. I am located in Ottawa, Canada.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-4-18 05:57
| Show all posts
Thank you very much!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-6-14 22:22
| Show all posts
Thanks for sharing

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-5-21 11:08
| Show all posts
Very good question

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-2-17 09:18
| Show all posts
Thank you very much!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-10-20 05:18
| Show all posts
thanks for the post

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-8-9 12:21
| Show all posts
Thanks for sharing!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-4-21 19:03
very nice
Post time: 2021-4-22 23:49
nice thx
You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-20 09:29 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.050532 sec., 17 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list