Forgot password?
 Register
View: 3106|Reply: 23
Collapse the left

[Knitting] Holding yarn

[Copy link]
Post time: 2015-12-1 04:44
| Show all posts |Read mode
Ok so I finally got flicking motion and I've learned to knit continental style the biggest problem I have when using these methods is holding the yarn between my fingers. I have tried several different ways  of wrapping around my fingers  but I can't seem to keep the right tention, it's either too loose or too taut (I don't have this problem when I throw) Any advise would be much appreciated!

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Related collections:

Post time: 2020-1-15 13:53
| Show all posts
I wrap my yarn around my pinky finger to tension in continental, and squeeze my ring and pinky together to adjust tension. It's still really dependent on weird things - like how dry my hands are! Practice makes perfect - good luck!
Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-10-14 03:18
| Show all posts
If you've never seen them, there are items all over e-bay and amazon if you do a search for knitting tension ring.  They are rings that you can slip on your finger which can then hold the tension for your yarn where you want it.  Myself, I slip my yarn behind my wedding ring set which holds the tension pretty good.  When I can't be bothered to tension that way, I just literally just hold the yarn in my left hand with a couple of fingers, no wrapping.  Arnie & Carlos have a video of how they do it, and I'm similar when I'm lazy.  When I started knitting continental, I too had problems holding/maintaining tension in holding my yarn, but as I've practiced, it does get better.  I still can't do continental when not looking at my hands, but like the saying goes practice makes perfect.  (off to investigate some of those knitting tension rings I saw... :D  )

Comments

Gracias por compartir  Post time 2023-1-17 06:06
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-11-7 23:10
| Show all posts
Not a fan of wrapping for tension, I tend to hold the yarn along the needle to tension. Might be a little looser but I usually hit gauge. If I wrap around my pinkie my continental gets to tight. We all find a way that works!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-12-1 08:05
| Show all posts
Perhaps loosening your stitches as you go or go up a size in needle, your gauge or tension sample should give you the answer as to the needle question.

Comments

I'm using the recommended sized needles, but I'm working with Tahki Ripple which creates a mesh/net type fabric. Could the thinness of the yarn be why I'm having trouble holding on to it?  Post time 2015-12-2 00:49

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-7 07:35
| Show all posts
Hello there is a ring to wear on your finger that holds the yarn this might help you even tension out. Some rings can hold 2 colors

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-1-24 22:56
| Show all posts
I wrap several times around my left index finger and unwrap or move my finger closer or farther for tension

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-7-17 06:46
| Show all posts
I hold my yarn behind my ring. It gives me the right amount of tension.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-8 09:44
| Show all posts
Sorry to be so boring, but just a lot of practice....

Use magic Report

Post time: 2022-10-24 22:00
| Show all posts
Have you thought of trying a knitting ring?

Use magic Report

Post time: 2015-12-1 14:26
| Show all posts
thanks for sharing !

Comments

??? lol  Post time 2015-12-2 00:27

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-10-20 04:36
| Show all posts
good luck!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-8-9 12:34
| Show all posts
Thanks for sharing!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-8-16 02:05
| Show all posts
practice makes it perfect. good luck :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-1-15 01:16
| Show all posts
I would try maybe going up a needle size?

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-25 14:36 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.064470 sec., 17 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list