Forgot password?
 Register
View: 659|Reply: 11
Collapse the left

Basic backstitching question

[Copy link]
Post time: 2016-4-6 05:26
| Show all posts |Read mode
I am not a frequent user of backstitching and wonder if those who use backstitching can make a recommendation on backstitching with every box or using longer stitches to give the pattern a less choppy flow.  Thanks
Post time: 2016-4-13 02:51
| Show all posts
When doing long stitches, they have a tendency to become loose and loopy. I learned this from experience because a couple of designs I did quite a few years ago I used long stitches and now they are very loose. Even tho when I'm doing backstitching and going in each stitch it looks funny, but when it's completed it always looks fine. Now if I have to do long stitches because it's on an angle (e.g. over by 2 threads but down by 3) I will slip the needle under a couple of threads on the back and loop the needle thread with the stitched thread to give it more stability. I do this at the beginning of the long stitch and also at the end of the long stitch.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2016-4-12 07:05
| Show all posts
I am going to try experimenting with the backstitching and see if it still looks ok with cutting back the length of some of the longer runs.  Since they are all in black, I am not worried about not having enough thread or having to take it back out numerous times.  Thanks for those who responded.  I'll keep you updated on how it turns out.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-5-19 22:17
| Show all posts
It depends on how you're going to use the finished product. If you frame it it should be ok but if you make it into something like a pillow or blanket I would go with every block. Only because when you used the item the stitched come loose and it doesn't look  right or you have to make repairs to it.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2016-4-13 06:45
| Show all posts
That is a very good idea.  I had not thought of securing the line at both ends to prevent it from stretching or sagging out of place.  Thank you for the great suggestion.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-3-29 02:43
| Show all posts
I do a lot of backstitching and what I do is make sure it looks as close to the finished work as possible which sometimes involves longer stitches but don't go over more than about 5 squares.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-4-9 07:48
| Show all posts
I tend to go box by box unless it makes it look funny and the long stitch really looks better. But I just don't care for super long stitches myself. ANd that probably did not help you at all! LOL!

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2016-5-20 20:34
| Show all posts
Thank you for the feedback.  I hadn't thought of the affect if it were used other than framing.  You have helped me to think differently about backstitching.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2016-4-10 06:50
| Show all posts
No that does help.  I like the look of the longer stitches in some cases.  I just was curious since they don't always seem to lie flat against the material.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-4-11 23:03
| Show all posts
I struggle with that question, too. I like the longer stitches but I don't like how loose it can look. :/

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2016-4-8 11:41
| Show all posts
Do you find that it makes the work look choppy or does it make any difference?

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-4-7 07:34
| Show all posts
I tend to do every stitch, unless the pattern says other wise.

Use magic Report

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-28 04:42 GMT+8 , Processed in 3.076681 sec., 12 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list