Forgot password?
 Register
View: 1630|Reply: 24
Collapse the left

[Tips Discussion] Grid lines on dark fabric

[Copy link]
Post time: 2016-9-18 08:13
| Show all posts |Read mode
Does anyone have any suggestions for making grid lines on dark fabric?  I purchased a white Dritz mark b gone pen for this but it doesn't work well.  The lines don't appear until the ink is totally dry which takes about 24 hours.  It's kind of hard to make the grid when you can't see the lines you've just drawn!  Any suggestions would be appreciated!  Thanks!

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2016-9-18 12:50
| Show all posts
I use 5lb width which is fairly fine purchased from Walmart.   Some people could use mono filament which is the clear sewing nylon thread used for manufactured items.
It is also used for beading, which is why I have a spool of it as I used to loom bead many years ago.  I've not had any problem with using fishing line
on my projects and have used it on 32 count linen to aida and it comes out clean as long as it's not bent at a 90 degree angle.   
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-1-11 09:41
| Show all posts
Hi there.  For gridding, I just use sewing thread, in the brightest colours that do not clash with the first few stitches of the design.  The grid lines will be cut (and sometimes removed) as I stitch along.

On dark fabric, you may use white or some bright green or flourescent colour.  I grid using a running stitch, every 6 linen threads, equivalent to 3 aida threads.  This way, I don' veer off, missing holes.

Hope this helps.

Comments

Thanks for the tip! I've discovered the Pilot erasable pens which come in some bright colors. They are working great too.  Post time 2017-1-24 21:27

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-9-18 08:52
| Show all posts
I use finishing line to grid my fabric, it does take awhile but I do sections, like 1/4 or 1/2 the fabric and grid the last area when I get to it.
The fishing line comes in different colours too, like bright orange, red or green.     Can't help with marking your fabric with a pen as I won't use a pen
a "just in case" it won't wash out in the end scenario.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2016-9-19 00:14
| Show all posts
Thanks for the information.  I guess I'll have to go to town and buy some fish line.  I have used the Mark B Gone pen (blue ink) on light fabrics with no problem at all.  It's washed out beautifully and hasn't left any coloring behind.  The pen for dark fabrics just doesn't work.  

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2016-9-18 10:00
| Show all posts
So, how do you use the fishing line?  Do you run it along the "holes" in the aida cloth?  I've heard of this before but the fishing line that I've had seems like it would be way too thick and would damage the fabric.

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2018-2-8 22:08
| Show all posts

Thanks, I haven't heard of this pen before.  I'll have to go looking for one.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-4-7 08:49
| Show all posts
update: use Kreinik Thread or better easy guide - it´s like fishing line, real thiin and bright in color, and you can reuse it! you just ppull it out after finishing xour project

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-9-21 22:43
| Show all posts
You can do it with a white yarn, for example. I attached 3 pics how do this the women in mu group in FB. Most of us, bulgarian women use this method when we stitch.

разграфяване 2.jpg

разграфяване.jpg

разграфяване 1.jpg

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-1-27 02:28
| Show all posts
Interesting advice given here. I would have thought using dressmaker's chalk would have been good enough, but I haven't worked on dark fabric before.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-2-8 18:23
| Show all posts
hi. i use metallic silver pen Dong-a metallic pen for gridding. i write on the back of my crosd stitch design. i fades after you wash it.

Comments

Thanks, I haven't heard of this pen before. I'll have to go looking for one.  Details Reply Post time 2018-2-8 22:08

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-9-21 22:47
| Show all posts
You can find tricks about it in this thema "Gridding Cross Stitch Fabric" too.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-1-9 08:31
| Show all posts

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-26 07:00 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.060744 sec., 18 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list