Forgot password?
 Register
View: 744|Reply: 5
Collapse the left

Storage box/ fabric question

[Copy link]
PinDIY
PinDIY  Post time 2016-11-30 02:46 |Read mode
My father bought a homemade wooden box full of cross stitch material and thread for me at a yard sale, the problem is it smells a bit musty. It has not gotten wet and nothing is mildewed or moldy. Can I spray the fabric with febreeze ? Should I continue to store it in the wooden box? The fabric is all stored in ziploc bags. I am airing everything out and the smell has faded a little. Please any advice how best to care for and store the fabric is appreciated. Thanks :)

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2016-11-30 08:51
| Show all posts
It could be just the box.   Airing it out naturally is probably the best way.  Some people suggest using dryer softener sheets to absorb the dampness but also to give the area a nice
scent.  I would be afraid of staining the floss and fabric if I sprayed it with any kind of air freshener.

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-11-30 11:15
| Show all posts
Ok, this is going to sound odd but I'd put some very cheap vodka in a spray bottle and use it to spray everything.  I've used this on all kinds of things that I've dragged home from sales with pretty good results.  The vodka will kill germs which makes the odor go away.  I also have never had an issue with fabric fading or running.  You could always do a test sample.  The plus of using the vodka instead of the febreeze is that the vodka smell goes away completely where the febreeze continues to smell (and I think stink!) for a long time.  I've done this with clothing, rugs, furniture, my car upholstery etc etc etc....

Rate

Number of participants 2Gold Coins +11 Collapse Reason
jazzo + 7 Usefull
AMW + 4 Usefull

View Rating Log

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-11-30 11:58
| Show all posts
Thank you both. I will avoid the febreeze. And I love the idea of the cheap vodka, there is so much fabric I can test it on a piece or 2 and not be upset if it runs. I have never tried that trick before. I have used vinegar for smells, and rubbing alcohol in stinky kids shoes so it makes sense that vodka might work.

Comments

You'll love it! You can also use it to do things like clean windows & bathroom fixtures.  Post time 2016-11-30 22:05

Use magic Report

Post time: 2016-12-20 12:26
| Show all posts
An update - I wiped everything down with vinegar (didn't get to the store to buy vodka but I am going to try it in the future) Threw away the old ziploc bags and put the fabric in new bags, and soaked a piece of fabric in vinegar water and let it dry. Smell is gone! Thanks again for the suggestions

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-5-10 16:37 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.134774 sec., 19 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list