Forgot password?
 Register
View: 2327|Reply: 32
Collapse the left

[Knitting] Knitting needles effect gauge

[Copy link]
Post time: 2017-4-14 21:06
| Show all posts |Read mode
I seen this, and was surprised how different needle can affectyou gauge. I thought i would share. I hope I have not put this in the wrongplace being that it is more informative than teaching you a new skill. If ihave put this in the wrong place please except my apologies

Needles  made from adifferent material,  can affect bothstitch and row gauge. I was curious how I would knit with my new needle set, soI designed an experiment.began with a ball of 100% wool yarn (Knit Picks Wool of theAndes Worsted) and 4 sets of size 7 needles, all made from different materials:1.     Plastic Resin2.      2. Wooden3.      3. Metal4.      4. Carbon Fiber I knitted up a stockinette swatch (30 sts x 45 rows) witheach needle type, then blocked them all very, very carefully to be sure theyweren't stretchedAfter the swatches dried and kind of mellowed out for a while, I tookcareful gauge measurements. Then I used the results to figure the dimensionsfor an average sized sweater that is 200 sts wide and 150 rows tall.I was shocked!The results really surprised me: if I knitted a sweater with one kind ofneedle versus another, I would have about a 2" variation in either widthor length. That's a big difference!

Login/Register to enlarge

I was also curious about differences in my "flat vs. circular" gauge because I've had trouble with sleeves not matching the sweater they are attached to. So I got to work on a circular swatch with my wooden dpns.
Results? There is a difference, of course. If I knitted my 200 st x 150 row sweater with a circular construction, it would come out 1.5" narrower than if I knitted it flat with the same wooden needles. Surprisingly, the row gauge was unaffected.
So what's the take-away from all this?
While your results would certainly vary from mine, I think it's important to be aware of how your tools can affect your finished objects and to use this knowledge to your advantage:
1. Knit your gauge swatch with the same needles you plan to knit the garment with.
2. Knit circular swatches for circular garments.
3. The more stitches in a row, the more a difference in gauge affects the finished measurements of the garment.
4. If you need to connect a circular-knitted sleeve to a flat-knitted body, make a separate circular gauge swatch. If you knit like I do, you might need to go up a needle size or switch to a needle made from a different material to get the correct gauge.
5. And for goodness sake, make large gauge swatches! (6"+ is a good rule of thumb)

i hope i did not put this in the wrong place
i hope you have found thins informative

thank you

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +1 Collapse Reason
piatracuminte + 1 Thank you very much!

View Rating Log

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2024-1-3 20:14
| Show all posts
Thank you for sharing ! As you said, results will depend for each knitter, but I agree it is handy to know it and each knitter has to experiment ! I only have bamboo and metallic needles, I did noticed that I usually get more stitches per inch with bamboo needles than with metallic needles  with a same yarn - but I never got deeper in the experiment so new things to explore in a deeper way ! Thank you for this well written experiment !
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-4-13 09:51
| Show all posts
I don't think this is accurate for everyone or every situation. For example, sometimes when one uses a smooth yarn with smooth metal needles, one would hold everything tighter to keep stitches from dropping, and the grip on the yarn will be tighter leading to tighter gauge.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-23 06:19
| Show all posts
That's crazy, I had no idea! I want to do some test swatches with my crochet hooks now. I wonder material effects it this way, if they're the same mm there should be no difference.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-8-27 21:52
| Show all posts
Good information.  Even the needle shape makes a difference, square vs. round.  My knitting is more even looking with square needles.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-4-17 11:28
| Show all posts
Thank you for sharing.  Now I'm glad I use Elizabeth Zimmerman's percentage system to knit my sweaters!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-4-15 00:16
| Show all posts
Thanks for taking the time to experiment and for sharing the results!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-1-21 14:00
| Show all posts
Thanks for the info. It is always good to know. Incredible experience.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-4-14 23:29
| Show all posts
Interesting study!    Thank you for this information.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2024-3-8 06:51
| Show all posts
Thank you!  Great point as something to look out for.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2021-10-31 02:03
| Show all posts
¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*• Useful, thanks! •*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-4-14 21:24
| Show all posts
Very nice
Thank you for sharing

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-4-14 21:40
| Show all posts
Thanks for sharing this information.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-4-14 22:17
| Show all posts
Полезная информация

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-4-15 02:27
| Show all posts
Thanks for the information:)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-4-15 03:11
| Show all posts
So nice. Thank you for sharing

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-4-15 19:42
| Show all posts
very interesting!
Thank you for sharing

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-4-16 00:05
| Show all posts
Very nice
Thanks for sharing

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-26 14:04 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.058777 sec., 14 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list