Forgot password?
 Register
View: 3203|Reply: 42
Collapse the left

[Skill Help] Cross stitch helpful hints

[Copy link]
Post time: 2017-4-18 12:43
| Show all posts |Read mode
You have bought the chart, the fabric to sew it on and the different colored floss, beads, metallic thread, etc. if required, separately, or in a kit - now WHAT DO YOU DO?
1. Iron the fabric so there are no creases.  Linens - medium/hot steam iron.  Other fabrics - ask supplier.
2. Protect the edges of the fabric from fraying by one of these methods:
a) Machine sew the edges with zigzag stitch
b) Tape all edges, except the selvage, using either masking or scotch tape.  Put a strip on the front and a strip on the back of your fabric
c) Turn in a seam and handset with large stitches around the edge.
3. If you have skeins of floss, you will see numbers on the attached paper labels.   These numbers match the numbers on the chart as you will need to know what they are.   Buy small cards (plastic and cardboard are available) made especially for winding on the skeins (sometimes called 'bobbins').  At the top, either write, or stick on a label, with the appropriate number.  Be very careful to put the right number.   The cards can all be kept numerically in a special box.
4. If you have a kit with floss, follow the instructions for organizing the floss carefully.
5. If you wish to wash your floss or fabric, please do it before you sew your cross stitch.  If one color runs in the completed project, you will probably never get the discoloration out.  Some people wash their skeins in a mild warm soapy water.  Then rinse until clear.  Dark colors are more likely to run, but good quality threads and fabrics should not.
Note: After completing the project, it might be better to have it dry cleaned rather than washed, but not if it has beads, or other problem materials (ask a good quality dry cleaner).

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Post time: 2022-6-9 21:13
| Show all posts
Great tips.  I have never secured the edges on my fabric though, I have never struggled too much with edge fray, as I usually leave around 4 inches all around.  Kit fabric however is very different, so thats a great idea.
Reply Support 0 Not support 1

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-10 17:52
| Show all posts

i also heard that washing after finishing will make lil wholes disappear , if its washed before stitching wont it be harder to be stitched ?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-13 07:56
| Show all posts
daisy.habibi

Login/Register to enlarge
2017-5-10 17:53

is there any video that i may see how we shall tape the adges ? i do overlock there ..

I'm sure there are some on youtube. I just use masking tape, preferably something that only sticks lightly so it doesn't pull out threads if you take it off. :)

Comments

I use the pliable blue paint tape as it is easy to remove and does not leave any sticky residual on the material  Details Reply Post time 2023-4-29 07:19

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-4-29 07:19
| Show all posts
Yarny

2017-5-12 19:56

I'm sure there are some on youtube. I just use masking tape, preferably something that only sticks ...

I use the pliable blue paint tape as it is easy to remove and does not leave any sticky residual on the material

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-11 01:34
| Show all posts
I think the last tip is critical for some floss especially some red colors.  but I prefer to wash after finishing because I always feel I left some sweat and dirt on the fabric when I work on it.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-4-18 14:09
| Show all posts
I usually wash my labor after finishing it, with gentle soap and cold water, and then I use a towel to let it dry. Usually it is enough, and finally I iron it at the lower temperature, facing the labor down.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-1-8 17:28
| Show all posts
Just remember, if you have special pre-gridded fabric you might not be able to wash it pre-project without accidentally washing the grid off it  

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-10 17:53
| Show all posts
Yarny

2017-5-9 20:02

Taping edges is always a good idea. All of those are!

is there any video that i may see how we shall tape the adges ? i do overlock there ..

Use magic Report

Post time: 2023-3-15 04:07
| Show all posts
I use painter's tape on the edges and it also lets me use larger hoops sometimes because the area gets bigger than the actual fabric.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-4-18 13:59
| Show all posts
Thats very helpfull Thank you

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-4-18 22:44
| Show all posts
Very nice
Thank you for sharing

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-4-19 17:10
| Show all posts
Thank you very much.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-3 20:11
| Show all posts
Thank you so much for sharing. One can never learn too much. :)

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-6 05:48
| Show all posts
Thanks for sharing

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-10 04:02
| Show all posts
Taping edges is always a good idea. All of those are!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-10 17:50
| Show all posts
thanks again muhammad !

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-4-25 23:30 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.061798 sec., 14 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list