Search
Hot search: Doll Doll M p cat doll
View: 5752|Reply: 49
Collapse the left

[Crochet] Alternative Amigurumi Stuffing

[Copy link]
Post time: 2017-5-10 06:23
| Show all posts |Read mode
IF you don't have or can't get polyfil, I've found plastic bags make an excellent stuffing for amigurumi. They're great at keeping shape without overstritching and misshaping parts, and you don't have to worry about fibers poking through your stitches. It's also great for cat toys because they like the crinkling.

When someone visits this page from a link you share, you will be rewarded

Author| Post time: 2017-5-13 07:54
| Show all posts
LitteGirlInMe 2017-5-12 07:27
You can't use plastic bags for toys for children . I would be scared to give my cat toys with plasti ...

Literally all matter in existence is "chemicals", you should be more specific. There are also dozens of types of plastic with varying degrees of chemical composition and safety, so just saying "plastic" is dangerous is also misleading. Certain type of plastics can leech chemicals when heated or scratched, but not all. Children will come into contact with plastic constantly every day of their lives (clothes, packaging, chairs, etc.), so a plastic bag that's covered with yarn anyway is not going to hurt a child. Unless your child lives in a bubble (but not a plastic one of course).

On a related note, the most popular yarn fiber, acrylic, is a thermoplastic. The majority of clothing is made of various synthetic fibers. There's a good chance you're wearing plastic right now.

As for cats, toys given to animals should always be inspected carefully and depend on the animal. If you have an animal that tears up toys, of course you should always be careful what you give them.

Rate

Number of participants 1Gold Coins +1 Collapse Reason
ghiromi + 1 Thanks for the useful info.

View Rating Log

Reply Support 2 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Post time: 2020-1-31 22:42
| Show all posts
I've used yarn scraps to stuff with. I have loads of those sitting about and they don't cost me anything new! I just shove them into a bag as I work and then when I need stuffing... voila!
Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-2-3 16:49
| Show all posts
Tema muy interesante, tambien puedes reciclar la lana de un viejo almohadón o colchón
Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-12 07:27
| Show all posts
You can't use plastic bags for toys for children . I would be scared to give my cat toys with plastic bags in them. Too many chemicals in plastic to want to put it in my toys..all that hard work? yuck.
Reply Support 0 Not support 1

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-5-10 00:04
| Show all posts
astrea75 2018-1-14 20:17
the idea seems good but it seems to me that the toy would be very noisy

Yes, but she said it would be good for the cats because cats like that type of noise. From my experience anyways. If your knitting or crocheting is very tight they will have a hard time tearing apart any toy you make. My cats play rough with their knitted toys and they haven't been able to tear it open. Thanks
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-1-20 05:40
| Show all posts
I use thin wool quilt batting for stuffing.  It can be easily be ripped appart into smaller pieces.  It shapes up nicely and you can stuff as light or as hard as you want for the desired effect.  I've also used any type of roving I have laying around for a quick stuffing 'emergency' from my spinning supply.

Comments

@BingleMcDingle I use the batting because I have lots of it that I'm not going to use for quilting, but I like natural fibres better than synthetic. Personal preference and convenience .  Post time 2020-2-9 02:15
Is there a reason you prefer it to polyfil? My local store has no polyfil, but it does have quilt batting, so I may switch to using that for the convenience!  Post time 2020-1-31 22:17

Use magic Report

Author| Post time: 2017-5-13 07:39
| Show all posts
Inchmahome 2017-5-10 09:54
Interesting tip! Thanks for sharing! Do you cut them up or just scrunch up a whole bag?

You're welcome! Depends on how much stuffing you need/want. For smaller things or intricate shapes I cut smaller pieces.

Use magic Report

Post time: 2019-1-30 04:42
| Show all posts
DragonflyKJ 2018-1-24 09:01
I have never thought of using these, thanks for the tip!

I do keep my little bits of yarn offcuts t ...

me too... my baby sitter says that i'm crazy but instead of getting away i use them as stuffing

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-10 09:54
| Show all posts
Interesting tip! Thanks for sharing! Do you cut them up or just scrunch up a whole bag?

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-10 13:27
| Show all posts
very nice, thanks

Use magic Report

Post time: 2017-5-11 08:29
| Show all posts
very good!

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-1-15 10:17
| Show all posts

the idea seems good but it seems to me that the toy would be very noisy

Comments

Yes, but she said it would be good for the cats because cats like that type of noise. From my experience anyways. If your knitting or crocheting is very tight they will have a hard time tearing apart  Details Reply Post time 2019-5-10 00:04

Use magic Report

Post time: 2018-1-24 14:01
| Show all posts
I have never thought of using these, thanks for the tip!

I do keep my little bits of yarn offcuts to add into the stuffing though!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

tag|FAQ|Dark room|Archive|search|PinDIY.com

2024-3-29 22:29 GMT+8 , Processed in 0.054154 sec., 15 queries , Gzip On, Redis On.

© 2009-2024 811

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list